Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast, a story  (Read 1494 times)

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast, a story
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »

This thing came outta nowhere. My squad only had copper items, and they were missing many armor pieces (I think they only had leggings, a helm, and mail shirt, all of them were equipped with copper swords as well). I was pretty frightened to fight this thing, but luckily some batmen and women had "invaded" (They stayed at the corner of the cavern, doing nothing) a couple seasons before, and they actually fought the damn thing for me. They got slaughtered, but not before breaking a couple bones and cutting open some of this FB's crap. Funny, since they only had spears and blowpipes. I sent my squad of 5 down there to kill that damn thing, 2 of my soldiers got injured (I'm not sure if their poisoned, they were put in beds in the bedrooms, I didn't have a hospital then, but now I do and my dorfs are refusing to actually move them down their, fix?) but the rest mopped him up. That was the first FB I have ever really slain, and the second one I've ever seen (I usually refuse to dig down into the caverns, but recently abandoned that strat). So I was pretty happy. I got it on camera (Making an LP, link in signature) and am processing it now. When I saw it die I slow clapped.
 :'( SO PROUD OF MY DORFS
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:00:41 pm by FrankyPlaysGames »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast, a story
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:13 pm »

Kudos. Now just wait til one of the buggers decides to show up while at the same time as a 100+ enemy siege. Then you'll have a really cool story to tell. :)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »

Haha, congrats, hope you took joy in the slaughter. Do you mind if I also share something on this topic?

I just lost a thriving fortress completely in one swoop the first time ever since picking up DF (I guess I play cautiously) to a forgotten beast. An undulating mahogany pigeon, beware its poisonous sting. I was working on a construction project in the caverns, and stupidly had left the wall to my fortress temporarily open.

A pigeon? I thought, this can't be too bad, we've killed tons of forgotten beasts already after all, even ones with worse things than toxic stings. But this thing gave me all of three seconds of warning before swooping across the map into my main stairway like an X-wing into the Death Star's trench, like "well surely I can at least wall over the main stairs or the - IT IS ALREADY AT THE FORGES OH GOD". I think it killed, envenomed or disabled 40 dwarves before my military even got there, which was followed by one desperate season of them pounding on it with their pathetic copper to imported steel axes, not even making a dent, and their dying one by one, more getting drafted and the fortress crumbling slowly but surely. I even bought animals from the elves to release to fight it in desperation, tried to cave in parts of the fortress on it, but no, it's still there flying manically around and my fortress is not. Went to visit it in adventure mode and it caught my superelvenly agile demigod like a bolt of lightning would a cheetah. I've never seen anything move so fast in the entire game.

Well, I was impressed. I like to think of it as a small mahogany hi-tech hunter-killer robot sent to decimate my fortress.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:38:35 pm »

(I'm not sure if their poisoned, they were put in beds in the bedrooms, I didn't have a hospital then, but now I do and my dorfs are refusing to actually move them down their, fix?)

Pretty easy, actually. Deconstruct their beds. When there's a dwarf lying wounded in bed, nobody does anything, but on the floor, they'll come to the rescue.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:55:23 pm »

lqtm. +1 for the elves, you got done in by a piece of wood.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:52 pm »

Are you sure those 'steel' axes you bought weren't just wooden axes covered in tinfoil?

Just wait until you get an fb with poisonous dust or blood, if one of those gets into your fortress you can expect the bodies to be piled high.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »

(I'm not sure if their poisoned, they were put in beds in the bedrooms, I didn't have a hospital then, but now I do and my dorfs are refusing to actually move them down their, fix?)

Pretty easy, actually. Deconstruct their beds. When there's a dwarf lying wounded in bed, nobody does anything, but on the floor, they'll come to the rescue.
Wow, thanks! That helps me a lot!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »

Wow, thanks! That helps me a lot!
There's also a bug where Dwarves will get locked in traction benches, be unable to get out and no one will free them. They'll still get given food and booze though. So sometimes they actually end up ecstatic over it.

If you manage to get your mayor onto one....