Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Let's Play Fall from Heaven 2 (Civ IV): CONTINUED IN NEW THREAD  (Read 25200 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

PhantomSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fall from Heaven 2 (RifE): Ch3 - Angels and Demons
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »

I suggest Georgios or Georgius for the name of the dragon slayer, to liken him to St.George. I've got nothing for the name of the angel.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »

Random Number God.
Alternatively, Generator. And it's the main reason I haven't played more than about 40 turns in FfH2 so far... that and the much larger barbarian/barbarian equivalent numbers much earlier. Glad to see you playing safer than I did Soli. :P

Edit: oh, for an angel name I was trying to think of something, but all I could think of were the really well known ones. Then I realized a lot of them end in ael, so why not Ael? Pronounced like Ale, it's a bit funny. Not a great suggestion, but it's a name.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:04:17 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2012, 03:42:24 am »

The soundtrack is one of my favorite parts of the game, and really helps set the tone sometimes. I had a strange mood fit of OCD, and went and added short musical cues from the FFH soundtrack to past chapters, in prep for the next update. Look for the [~♫] buttons!

Oh, and Update Coming Soon goes without saying.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fall from Heaven 2 (RifE): Ch4 - Of Elves and Dwarves
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »

[~♫] Chapter 4: Of Elves and Dwarves
In which the Svartalfar Queen makes introductions, and diplomacy is broached.

Following his adventures at the barrow, Geordan the Dragon Slayer spends a few days resting in 12th Bay. While there, a wagon rolls into town from the north, driven by a travelling enchanter and his companions. The enchanter sets up shop in the center of town, offering to sell his wares. With the loot he'd pillaged from the barrow, Geordan buys an enchanted sword that will never lose its edge, a blessed shield bearing the holy symbol of Dagda, and a magical salve that can heal any wound. After that, the adventurer departs from 12th Bay heading east, to meet up with the others.

Meanwhile the Scout, having grown tired of waiting for the others, decides to quest off alone. He leaves the fort heading east, but by the time Geordan and the Warrior reach the fort, no word of him has been heard. They search for him up and down the coast for weeks to no avail, until they find a new fortress dominating a land-bridge at the east edge of the mountains, flying a silver flag with a black crescent moon. As they approach, a dark-haired elven woman emerges from the fort's main gate, flanked by several guards.

Spoiler: DiplomacyLog (click to show/hide)

Sure enough, the Scout is found within, recovered from his wounds and ready to travel. Geordan thanks the Svartalfar on behalf of the Grigori people, and the three depart the Elven Fort. The Scout guides them west to a pass in the mountains, leading to a hidden valley filled with old ruins and a forest of giant mushrooms. It is here, he explains, that he met a warband of Dwarves made clanless during the long Winter, doing battle with Lizardmen who had taken up residence in one of their ancestral halls. He had fought alongside the Dwarves, but they had been routed and fled the ruins, before the Scout took his injury.

When they reach the ruins themselves, they find two dwarven warriors encamped under a copse of towering tree-sized mushrooms. They greet the Scout and his companions, and name themselves Biggs and Wedge. As the Scout relates his experience to the Dwarves, they tell how their band rallied and drove the last of the Lizardmen from the ruins, but took heavy losses... for all they know, they're the last survivors. To make matters worse, the ruins they fought to liberate proved to be flooded and completely inhospitable. Lacking for home and kin, but encouraged by the Grigori band's tales of blood and glory, the Dwarven duo offers to join them.

Before departing, the band makes one final sweep of the ruins. Within its depths, they find no survivors, and nothing of value... only sunken tunnels filled with fetid black water, and the corpses of Dwarves and Lizardmen. As they turn to leave, however, a rhythmic, wet slapping sound fills the hollow tunnels, accompanied by the smell of rotten fish. Soon, a group of discolored, waterlogged corpses stagger down the hallway, and toward them!

Spoiler: BattleLog: (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, back in 12th Bay...

Warmer weather has been settling in. The once snow-covered forests grow thick with underbrush and vines, and the frozen plains thaw into damp, misty wetlands. The terrain seems to be resolving itself into a temperate rainforest. With the threat from the barrows gone, the first of the hunting camps is finally completed! Workers busy themselves expanding roads and trails to the camp, while some newly-outfitted Grigori Warriors guard them. The Angel, who names himself Auriel, stands vigil day and night over the growing town.

During one night, a wise woman among the Grigori reports that "The Bear", a constellation sacred to Mulcarn, has moved into prominence. Though it may mean nothing following the Ice God's death, she fears that it may signal a fierce new winter to come. During the next day, despite the warmth of the last few months, a cold and raging wind blows in from the north. With it comes the first snowstorm in many months. Between the mournful howls of the wind among the trees, some villagers report hearing a soft chittering not unlike laughter, while others share tales of childlike silhouettes dancing about in the snowfall.

Thankfully, the storm begins to clear in a few days time and the snow melts once more, though the guards are unable to find any further sign of the reported creatures. After the storm abates, Goodreau calls the council into session, in the newly-built Grigori Palace.

Councilors, we have much to discuss! Well, just two important things, really. Reports from our explorers claim they have made contact with another Svartalfar Tribe, this one led by a woman naming herself the Queen of the Elves. Little is known about them, beyond that they hold a fort at the eastern edge of the mountains. Additionally, our very own guardian Angel has informed me that he still senses the presence of evil growing in the north... which may be the source of our restless corpse problems. Should we commit our explorers to learning more of this Elf Queen, or investigate the source of the undead in our lands?

In other news, I'm led to believe that our Research and Development committee are almost finished developing their fishing boats. We have a few options for where to focus our research next, including construction and ore-mining, better agricultural and herding techniques, or research into ancient occult practices and magic. The first would help build our industry and may reveal some mineral resources nearby, while the second will help us to grow and feed our population. The third looks to be a waste of time if you ask me... but they assure me that given enough time it may yield fruit.

So, given that... discuss!

Status - Week 60:
The Grigori Tribe

Units:
Auriel (Angel):             4, 7.2, 1 (Guarding 12th Bay)
**Abilities: Angel, Drill II
Warrior:                    1, 3.0, 1 (Guarding 12th Bay)
**Abilities:

Geordan (Dragon-Slayer):    5, 13.8, 1 (Exploring)
**Abilities: Healing Salve, Courage, Dragon Slaying, Shield of Faith
Scout:                      6, 4.0, 2 (Exploring)
**Abilities: Hunter, Spirit Guide
Warrior:                    4, 5.4, 1 (Exploring)
**Abilities:
Biggs (Dwarf Axeman):       1, 4.0, 1 (Exploring)
**Abilities: Dwarf, Mountaineer
Wedge (Dwarf Axeman):       1, 4.0, 1 (Exploring)
**Abilities: Dwarf, Mountaineer
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:26:29 pm by Solifuge »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:03 pm »

I suggest to go for the mining to see if we have any good metals nearby.

Nice update, right when I finished my own LP part, thank you for the timing :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »

Now that you have named the Dwarves Biggs and Wedge, we are obligated to open a betting pool on how long will it be before they are killed off.

Also I vote to investigate the undead
It's FEF, not FEOF

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »

I vote for the mining and to go hunting undead. Also. Don't trust the elves.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:55 am »

I vote for agricultural research and the investigation of the undead. What good is industry without the people to toil tirelessly for its benefit? Food for proles I say.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:23 pm »

Mining, so we can dig up shiny trinkets to distract the research gnomes from their unending hunger for flesh.

Undead are for rekilling. Go rekill. Unless you can enslave them for zombie labor or something. That'd work, too~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 07:51:29 pm »

Mining and undead killing, both actions that shall please Armok The Creator.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

Whatever pisses off the elves.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:08 pm »

Go for mining. Not enough land for farms anyways. At least you can mine in the snow.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:57 am »

Well, I'm done with another update worth of stuff, but I also just realized something bad; the slow pace of the game wasn't just due to the ice- I accidentally ran this match using the Epic timescale, the slowest game mode of a very slow game. I usually do the Quick timescale, and for reference this means what normally would take 1 turn now takes 5-10 turns... thus 10 turns of research or production has suddenly become 100.

If we stay at this timescale, we will never see half of the later-game events, units, and techs. As much as I hate the thought, I'm considering doing one of a few things about this:

• Decide we have a good enough thing going, and keep playing at 1/10th speed, mid and late game content be damned.
    • Export the save/map, edit the timescale, and reload it. This will reset current progress on growth/tech/great people, and set the climate back to freezing again. Also, it risks the world never thawing, or breaking the game in other unexpected ways.
    • We start a fresh game at a more ideal speed, guaranteeing compatibility. We could just start it from Turn 0, or a Civ roughly at the level we're at right now; I might even be able to import/tweak terrain info and individual units to match the old map, but again no guarantees.

Given the above, which sounds least objectionable to you guys? Each have their benefits and risks/costs, and I'm cool with any of them. My preference is for something that speeds things up, though, since right now it'll take a lot of updates to get us out of the Ancient-Era Tech, build an army, or do any significant expansion.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:10:18 pm by Solifuge »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

Keep playing with the slower pace until a lot of ice/snow thaw, then go for [2].

Ice-slowed time! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9