Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851552 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4905 on: October 31, 2022, 05:15:27 am »

Why is (kobold ore) cobaltite represented as a blue ore in game? And why can't we use it for anything?
Just curious about this. Were there plans at one point to make blue glass or blue porcelain a thing?
I always forget when I mine this stuff, that I can't turn it into anything other than blue furniture.

Why do beetles live at the circus?
Lol sorry, no punch-line for this one! I just found a couple of these lil' buddies pokin' around in the slade while taking a stroll in adventure mode. I backpacked a couple of them back to the fortress to make for a neat little bug exhibit for the dwarves, and I couldn't help but wonder what they were doing down there.

Have you ever seen those sheep that live on the Isle of Man?
Image from Wikipedia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're called Manx Loaghtan sheep.

1, cobaltite smithing wasn't widely available until after the 1400 cutoff date for tech in df, metallic cobalt wasn't isolated until 1735. Back in the day, it was used as a pigment (the source of the bright blue color) for glassware and paints, but not known to produce useful metal, and attempting to smelt it with traditional methods (what dwarves have available) produces toxic arsenic gas. We might see it as a pigment later on. There's been a lot of debate in the community about whether or not dwarves should be able to smelt the metal anyway, but it's not a priority in game development and can be easily modded in anyway. Cobalt metal would only really make another trade alloy or poor quality weapon material anyway

2, I think ground/soil vermin can just show up at any level, especially if you search tiles in adventure mode. Turkeys and other ground bug eaters can also dig them up anywhere. Vermim behavior is wierd and buggy like that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 05:17:17 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: October 31, 2022, 11:22:47 am »

Hope you are doing well, my questions are the following:

1. Is there anything planned in the future to allow vampires to produce blood in order to transmit vampirism. Currently you can fill a goblet with vampire tainted blood and offer it to an NPC to drink but this method involves you having to wound and collect your own blood or another vampires.

2. Will title inheritance at some point get an overhall so each civ have different title inheritance rules. Currently i believe it looks for the offspring with the best social stats and failing that i believe the title goes randomly. So perhaps one dwarven civilization establishes absolute cognatic primogeniture whilst another decides on ultimogeniture. Additionally would this if implemented could change depending on the dwarf.

3. Will religions be unrestricted in adventure mode, as currently you have to be of that race of the civilization in order to choose one of their religons so if i was a bark scorpion man coming from a dwarven civilisation i cannot choose to worship any gods even of the civilization i am apart of. To further this, apart from assuming identity will you consider enabling the ability in adventure mode to find faith or pray to a god. Could make for an interesting story if an adventurer found faith on their journey or perhaps begun to worship a new god.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 12:51:04 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: October 31, 2022, 12:39:43 pm »

1.Will civilizations get evolving ethics?
2.I think it's pretty silly how you can slaughter all your visitors and they still keep coming. Will we get a visitor reputation system in the near future?
3.Will we get the option to surrender to the invading force and become part of their civilization?
4.Will there ever be a personality trait that makes people enjoy seeing death and violence?
5.Right now your military will charge mindlessly into the enemy and jump into moats. Will they get a better ai before magic?
6.Will we ever get sports in our fortresses?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: October 31, 2022, 04:36:29 pm »

When does the game shows the plural version of body parts? Like "right upper arms" instead of "right upper arm"? Everywhere I've checked, it just seems to either list each individual part one by one, or show the non-plural version and a number beside it.

Or I guess to get to the root of what I really want to know: body tokens accept the value `STP` which just takes the normal name and adds an `s` on the end; STP standing for "standard plural" I believe:

Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:BODY]
[BODY:NOSE]
[BP:NOSE:nose:STP]

But I want to know if it also accepts the value `NP`, which stands for "no plural", and is used in other places in the raws. Would it accept NP as intended (making the plural of "nose" also just be "nose"), or would it literally just use the letters "NP" for the plural version of the name?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: October 31, 2022, 06:18:01 pm »

When does the game shows the plural version of body parts? Like "right upper arms" instead of "right upper arm"? Everywhere I've checked, it just seems to either list each individual part one by one, or show the non-plural version and a number beside it.

Or I guess to get to the root of what I really want to know: body tokens accept the value `STP` which just takes the normal name and adds an `s` on the end; STP standing for "standard plural" I believe:

But I want to know if it also accepts the value `NP`, which stands for "no plural", and is used in other places in the raws. Would it accept NP as intended (making the plural of "nose" also just be "nose"), or would it literally just use the letters "NP" for the plural version of the name?

Hmmm… pluralis tantum et singularis tantum…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: October 31, 2022, 08:38:42 pm »

Why is (kobold ore) cobaltite represented as a blue ore in game? And why can't we use it for anything?
Just curious about this. Were there plans at one point to make blue glass or blue porcelain a thing?
I always forget when I mine this stuff, that I can't turn it into anything other than blue furniture.

Lol sorry, no punch-line for this one! I just found a couple of these lil' buddies pokin' around in the slade while taking a stroll in adventure mode. I backpacked a couple of them back to the fortress to make for a neat little bug exhibit for the dwarves, and I couldn't help but wonder what they were doing down there.

Image from Wikipedia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1, cobaltite smithing wasn't widely available until after the 1400 cutoff date for tech in df, metallic cobalt wasn't isolated until 1735. Back in the day, it was used as a pigment (the source of the bright blue color) for glassware and paints, but not known to produce useful metal, and attempting to smelt it with traditional methods (what dwarves have available) produces toxic arsenic gas. We might see it as a pigment later on. There's been a lot of debate in the community about whether or not dwarves should be able to smelt the metal anyway, but it's not a priority in game development and can be easily modded in anyway. Cobalt metal would only really make another trade alloy or poor quality weapon material anyway

Powered mine-carts aside, right, historically it wasn't refined as a metal until just after the tech cut-off point. I'm kind of just wondering where was the tug-of-war between gameplay and accurate modeling. It doesn't make sense that cobaltite can be made into LBLUE furniture, as cobaltite ore does not appear in nature as being the color blue, rather it appears as reddish silver white, violet steel gray to black. Did T-dog just want us to have something relatively common to make LBLUE stuff with? This strikes me as odd, as usually there tends to be some complicated production chain to produce anything that isn't rock colored. Just giving us COLOR with no strings attached seems a little antithetical to DF norms.

And with an ore thats actually named after kobolds, it feels like there is some kind of opportunity waiting there. Not really certain what that opportunity looks like, but I imagine it'd have something to do with the kobolds, after whom the ore is indeed named.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 02:45:24 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: October 31, 2022, 10:41:18 pm »

What were you for Halloween? (Or what would you like to be if you had taken the time to put together a costume?)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: October 31, 2022, 11:32:44 pm »

Have the two of you ever considered dressing up as a toad and a sloth for Halloween?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: November 01, 2022, 12:38:48 am »

According to Wiktionary, bloat has a derogatory, dated meaning of "a worthless, dissipated fellow". Is this what you're referring to, or is there a new bad slang?
No.  I was referring to the usage of "bloat" as a shorthand for code bloat or software bloat in a computer context.
Despite feature creep usually having a bad connotation (in programming sense), it is what made DF the game it is now[…]
Is that really a good thing?  I can't think of any way that bloat could possibly make a program better, and the examples i can think of that DF has (the first things that come to mind are the many redundant types of wood, stone, gems, etc. which don't have any significant differences between them) don't seem like exceptions.

Thought you were talking about a pejorative or slur. Sorry for the mistake.

I was referring to the evolution/expansion of the game from its initial version, but maybe it was wrong of me to call this feature creep or bloat which, now I'm understanding, are generally negative by definition. Maybe the "bloat" label is sarcasm, irony etc. and played for laughs.

Regarding the redundant variety of materials, I always saw this as part of the game's charm and played into the micromanagement aspect DF is known for. I can definitely see why some call it bloat, but at the same time it hasn't negatively impacted the game for me, so... not bloat, for me. But I know it's a point of contention amongst players.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: November 01, 2022, 12:02:13 pm »

Really hyped to see the 6th of december release date, best of luck with the last stretch to you guys! The release date got me thinking about starting a new succession fort so we as the forum can come together once more and enjoy everything that's new together, but with the announcement that steam workshop support may take a while, I started wondering:

Will succession forts/trading savegames be possible in the initial steam release, or will it take some time for that to be possible?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: November 01, 2022, 01:31:11 pm »

1. Assuming it's finalized now, how many music tracks are there now?

2. Where are the classic tracks going now, since apparently there is new menu music, and legends mode also has custom music for it?

3. It's been asked before, but... is there any news on what's happening with the intro movie?

Will succession forts/trading savegames be possible in the initial steam release, or will it take some time for that to be possible?

They'd definitely still be possible I think, you'll just also need to share any mods used, along along with the save file (because they are separate now).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:47:42 pm by Mr Crabman »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: November 01, 2022, 02:02:42 pm »

Not a question, but I want to point out a bug that looks like low-hanging fruit for the Steam release and has a potential performance impact:
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3807
Cavern plants can grow on top of each other.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4917 on: November 01, 2022, 06:42:52 pm »

Quote from: TheFlame52
Why don't hair, nails, and a couple of other tissues that grow back in real life have healing rates? They aren't exactly vital organs, but it sucks losing a dwarf to an infected beard wound that won't heal.

Yeah, it's strange, we wanted to grow them out instead of having the wounds heal.

Quote from: Button
How is the new version's multithreading/multiple CPU core use looking?

Schmaven: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8414980#msg8414980
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415148#msg8415148
*Obsidian Short Sword*: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415501#msg8415501
A_Curious_Cat: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415539#msg8415539
*Obsidian Short Sword*: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415562#msg8415562
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415640#msg8415640
Putnam: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8416031#msg8416031

This hasn't changed.  People are right that it has always slowly been easier to add it, at least to certain kinds of routines.  Maybe it will be time someday.  The Steam version does use the SDL version's display thread.

Quote from: Fikilili
Real-Life mythologies, although sometimes chaotic and having varying degrees of consistency depending on the period, have some form of inner-logic. There is a reason for this or that god to be there, or this or that agent of the gods to exist. DF's current handling of the gods is quite ubiquitous at times. Do you plan on actually retooling or entirely reworking the way Myths work so to generate some that are more accurate to the way real mythologies are formed/written?

voliol: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8415920#msg8415920

Yeah, as voliol says, that's a main focus of the work on the prototype, and the 'myth' part of the Myth/Magic release.  It should be quite a bit better than it is now.

Quote from: BlackAion
Would it be possible in the Myth and Magic expansion to create sky worlds? Like worlds where the continents are floating and the oceans are an endless sea of clouds? Or worlds where you live on the back of a turtle or worlds where it is literally one big giant tree?

PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8416730#msg8416730

PatrikLundell is correct here - the map rewrite will enable these kind of things, and floating continents, as well as smaller floating castles and islands and such, are part of the reason we're doing it.  Same goes for turtles and trees, which I think we've mentioned specifically in terms of mining into the turtle ha ha.  But it's another question which'll make the first pass content-wise.  We're too far out to be able to address those specifics.

Quote from: Shepanator
Are there plans to add more gameplay features for forts with 'Mountainhome' status, e.g. ability to direct the overall civilisation, declare wars, expand the civ, etc? Or is there any other 'end-game' type content you have been thinking about?

*Obsidian Short Sword*: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8416865#msg8416865
KittyTac: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8417522#msg8417522

Upcoming army part should see a bit of this!  Having an expanding barony/kingdom mode comes up in various places in the notes.  Once you have the monarch, ideally you should be able to set diplomatic/settlement policy for the civ, to the extent that it's official.

Quote from: Bloodwarrior
I wonder will the myth and magic update have stuff like people who became saints or siddha and will you be able to become one

There are some references to higher states and such in the existing myth prototype, with a few throwaway lines about how to attain them and such, and combined with the prophet/etc. stuff that already exists, I think we'll see some movement here.

Quote from: Tachytaenius
Was diagonal gaps removing water pressure an intentional feature, and if not, do you feel like you can't change it now?

I can't think of a specific reason.  It's likely faster to only use four directions, but I don't think that was a concern.  And it's weird, since water can flow diagonally.

Quote from: BlackAion
Will the appearance description of any dwarf/human/elf/etc. receive an overhaul as well in preparation for the myth and magic update? The thoughts and preferences of any individual goes in-depth into any particular dwarfs personality but doesnt really describes their build or physique other than saying they are weak or strong. As there been any thoughts in simplifying the personality lore and adding more depth to physique descriptions?

Putnam: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8418153#msg8418153
BlackAion (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8418159#msg8418159
MaxTheFox: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8418170#msg8418170
BlackAion (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8418296#msg8418296
Putnam: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8419059#msg8419059

I don't anticipate changes here.  I'm not simplying the personalities, and the examples given for physical changes don't sound like a priority for storytelling.  Things like tattoos and such would probably go in before differences in single muscles.

Quote from: voliol
Will the new raw formatting be released before the game is, so modders get a chance to prepare their mods?

Here's the default building format.  An info.txt file with the following.

[ID:vanilla_buildings]
[NUMERIC_VERSION:5001]
[DISPLAYED_VERSION:50.01]
[EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_NUMERIC_VERSION:5001]
[EARLIEST_COMPATIBLE_DISPLAYED_VERSION:50.01]
[AUTHOR:Bay 12 Games]
[NAME:Vanilla Buildings]
[DESCRIPTION:These are the default Dwarf Fortress buildings.]

Then an objects folder that has building_custom.txt as before.  Generally, you just have an info file, and an objects file with the same stuff as you always used.

Zip that up and you are good to go.  Make sure info.txt is at the base level.  "vanilla_" as the leading part of the ID is reserved for vanilla.

There are a few extra tags you can use in info.txt to require and forbid other mod IDs (or the vanilla ones.)  These are:

[REQUIRES_ID:<id>]
[REQUIRES_ID_BEFORE_ME:<id>]
[REQUIRES_ID_AFTER_ME:<id>]
[CONFLICTS_WITH_ID:<id>]

When I get the Steam Workshop stuff done, there'll be one or more additional optional tags having to do with identification/etc. but I don't know what they'll be yet.  We haven't done anything with saving/distributing load orders for mod packs or installation/other options, etc etc, but we'll see what's needed as we go.

Graphics of course have a new format.  Those live inside objects in the graphics folder, in graphics_*.txt files, and tile page files, with images in a subfolder.  I can't release the images there, and I wouldn't say the txts are finalized there either, but I can put something up later.

Quote from: LuuBluum
In a similar vein as to the recent (Oct. 22nd) devlog, is it possible to clean up some of the decoration jobs? Right now there's a twofold issue: inability to specify exactly what object to decorate, and inability to avoid "repeat" decorations. The former means you have to set up very specific stockpiles to decorate, say, a very specific statue, and the latter means you can only decorate one thing at a time— if you try to queue up decorating, say, several statues with gemstones, you'll instead just decorate the first one with all the gemstones.

The rest of that devlog made me incredibly excited for the release; thank you so much for your hard work!

The encrusting jobs are generalized now, rather than requiring specific types, but I haven't done anything else yet.  Obviously more can be done, but there won't be time before the release.

Quote from: A_Curious_Cat
On a side note, I saw something about a “vermin catcher’s workshop”.  What’s that about?

clinodev: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8421673#msg8421673

Yeah, clinodev has this one - kennel's weren't used for any large animal jobs, so they've now become an awkward giant 5x5 place where ratty things happen.

Quote from: Immortal-D
Are there any plans to revamp or add onto the bug tracker for Steam release?  Or will Steam users also be directed to the catch-all Mantis archive?

We're working on this now.  I'm not sure if we're going to end up migrating the database or to what, but that's the kind of stuff we're looking at.

Quote from: DeKaFu
Bit of an odd question, but I was hoping to add the crayon drawing I received to the wiki as an illustration on a creature page. Could you confirm whether this picture depicts a draltha or a drunian? (I requested a draltha but the colours and body shape threw me off, so now I'm second-guessing and don't want to put it on the wrong page.)

Ha ha ha, sorry, yeah, that looks like a drunian to me.  Total failure on our part.

Quote from: Corthalas
I would like to know more about necromancer experiments: the huge amalgations mentioned in legends Mode, which seem to rampage like (semi)megabeasts. Is it possible to meet them in fortress mode or adventure mode? Would two of the same species be able to breed? I would like to know if they could even break away from their necromancer and join societies.

voliol: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8422915#msg8422915
Ziusudra: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8423084#msg8423084

Ha ha, the community knows more than me by now about what's up here.  Have they ever been part of a necromancer attack on a fortress?  I've seen lots of the smaller experiements of all kinds in testing.  And the regular humanoid experiments can become playable, but I've never seen that for the amalgamated hulk ones.

Quote from: Pillbo
Creatures use the same color descriptions as wood and stone. Will creatures like dogs and cats also vary in color based on those colors, like furniture and dwarves will?

The furniture uses our new palette system (one 9 color wood palette and one 9 color stone/default palette for each in-game color), while dwarf hair and clothing and skin use broader groups since the artists wanted to have more control.  I suspect when we get to dogs and cats, it might use the latter system, but I'm not sure!  It'd be nice for sure to have coat patterns and colors accurately reflected, especially if we get anywhere with the existing-but-practically-unused animal breed structure.

Quote from: BlueManedHawk
On the old consolidated development page, one of the categories of things to do was called "bloats".  Considering that this is a word that generally has derogatory connotations, why was it selected to describe this category?

Doorkeeper: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8423041#msg8423041
BlueManedHawk (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8423320#msg8423320
Doorkeeper: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8424058#msg8424058

Doorkeeper has the sense right here.  I was certainly playing with the notion of things that aren't strictly necessary and which some people are irritated by, so it's intentionally derogatory, but we still like them, and they often end up having more purpose over time than might initially seem likely.

Quote from: LuuBluum
Similarly to the recent changes to the jeweler's workshop, are there plans to also adjust some of the other generic "do things with thing" tasks so that they can be made more functional? For instance, jobs at a farmer's workshop don't let you specify what to process, milling jobs don't let you specify what to mill, and cooking jobs don't let you specify what ingredients to use (you can broadly say what you want to allow to cook or not cook, but you can't, say, set up a cooking task specifically to cook away all that flour or sugar you keep producing).

Also, similar to the bin changes, have you also considered making a similar change to bags/barrels? Farms in particular are notorious for seed barrels (and to a lesser extent, seed bags) having the same effect as bins.

PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8423530#msg8423530

There's a lot that can be done of course.  We haven't added additional job details, and it isn't possible now to do anything super interesting with the release looming, but we're going to continue doing friendly things as we go.

I don't recall now if we got barrels/bags for free when I did the bins.  I can check, and it might be possible to do something there prior to release if it isn't already in.

Quote from: FlorpyDorp
When I first played DF, it was the bin bug that got me close to losing my mind. Especially with farm seeds. Didn’t end up encountering too many other bugs. The bin one took way too much googling back then to figure out. So grateful it’s been purged.

How does it feel to be resolving issues like that which you’ve had in the code for so long? Also, how are you prioritizing which bugs to fix/QoL stuff to add?

Does Kitfox have a stream of people new to the game getting fresh eyes on it to point out things that frustrate? Or is it mostly experienced dorfs giving suggestions, or do you feel you’ve got a good sense of what has needed fixing for awhile and just haven’t had time to do it until now?

Seems like a big priority for this release is making sure the thousands (millions?) of people who are first exposed don’t lose their minds with bugs/complexity right off the bat. Are you nervous about that period/response?

There's a lot of different kinds of work to do all at once, so it's not easy to prioritize.  We have people of various experience levels playing - sometimes a bug is fixed because it bothers the old people and they remind me, sometimes a new person trips over it and it has to go, and sometimes it's just something from the tracker.  It's certainly helped to have an ongoing discussion with feedback, as has happened on and off over the years.

Things are surely a little nervewracking now, but it feels kind of like default nerves?  Like even if everything were perfect, I feel like I'd probably have about this level of nerves.  People aren't complaining terribly and I've fixed a good portion of the issues raised, and all of the really serious ones that have come up, pretty much.  But there's a lot left to do.  I kind of crossed over a hill though when we got zooming back in.  Once you could zoom the play area again, with all the other stuff together, it started to feel releasable and pretty user friendly.

Quote from: dikbutdagrate

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8423797#msg8423797
dikbutdagrate (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8424012#msg8424012

I saw one blueish picture and decided to go for it.  This happened with more than one mineral, since it's dull when everything is gray.

Yeah, the restrictions aren't strong on vermin, especially when the fowl are digging them up.

I know San Francisco zoo had some amazing four horned critters, possibly even six horned?  But I don't remember if I saw that specific one.

Quote from: AvolitionBrit
1. Is there anything planned in the future to allow vampires to produce blood in order to transmit vampirism. Currently you can fill a goblet with vampire tainted blood and offer it to an NPC to drink but this method involves you having to wound and collect your own blood or another vampires.

2. Will title inheritance at some point get an overhall so each civ have different title inheritance rules. Currently i believe it looks for the offspring with the best social stats and failing that i believe the title goes randomly. So perhaps one dwarven civilization establishes absolute cognatic primogeniture whilst another decides on ultimogeniture. Additionally would this if implemented could change depending on the dwarf.

3. Will religions be unrestricted in adventure mode, as currently you have to be of that race of the civilization in order to choose one of their religons so if i was a bark scorpion man coming from a dwarven civilisation i cannot choose to worship any gods even of the civilization i am apart of. To further this, apart from assuming identity will you consider enabling the ability in adventure mode to find faith or pray to a god. Could make for an interesting story if an adventurer found faith on their journey or perhaps begun to worship a new god.

1. Nothing specific planned, but offering the vampire curse is part of the villains stuff, and it might need support.

2. That kind of things is on the table for the entity rewrite after the magic stuff.

3. Hmm, that's odd.  People can cross between race-gods in world gen as far as I remember.  But yeah, if there's no mechanism for it in adv mode specifically, there should be.

Quote from: Urist McSadist
1.Will civilizations get evolving ethics?
2.I think it's pretty silly how you can slaughter all your visitors and they still keep coming. Will we get a visitor reputation system in the near future?
3.Will we get the option to surrender to the invading force and become part of their civilization?
4.Will there ever be a personality trait that makes people enjoy seeing death and violence?
5.Right now your military will charge mindlessly into the enemy and jump into moats. Will they get a better ai before magic?
6.Will we ever get sports in our fortresses?

1. I think so, yeah, with the law stuff in the entity rewrite.  Books can already change values a bit.
2. Near future?  I wouldn't count on it!  But it's silly if they don't have a system similar to the migrants, I agree.
3. This is on the table for the army/villains stuff - we had both internal coups and goblin conquest in mind.  There was a note about a tribute wagon coming and having to fill it at your own depot.
4. I dunno.  There's already cruelty and excitement seeking - sometimes it just needs to interpret facets together rather than adding more facets.  But I agree it would be interesting overall to explore more situations/overlaps/etc.
5. It's possible.  I'm not sure to what extent that's jumping into moats vs. desperately dodging when they might have died - the latter is going to stay, though they should probably think harder if the fall is extra lethal.
6. We have competitions in world gen, so it's technically a thing.  It's hard because it's like writing a whole new game if you want to do much with it, moreso than the dancing etc.

Quote from: Mr Crabman

Right now it looks like it uses the plurals only for body parts with a number greater than 1, like teeth.

So STP is used in 11 places, and NP is only used in 1 place.  That's not very kind!  Next version fixes this.

Quote from: Pillbo
What were you for Halloween? (Or what would you like to be if you had taken the time to put together a costume?)
Quote from: A_Curious_Cat
Have the two of you ever considered dressing up as a toad and a sloth for Halloween?

Nothing this year!  Not even Jojo, even though she has many outfits.  Things have been hectic and weird.  It would be fun for Zach to dress up as a giant guinea pig though (he is ThreeToe for his pet guinea pig - they have four in the front and three in the back.)

Quote from: Lord_lemonpie

Mr Crabman: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8424214#msg8424214

Yeah, even though we added the new timelines and etc., in the file structure itself there's basically no change here.  In Steam, you can open your local files and add/remove stuff from the save folder like before.

Quote from: Mr Crabman
1. Assuming it's finalized now, how many music tracks are there now?

2. Where are the classic tracks going now, since apparently there is new menu music, and legends mode also has custom music for it?

3. It's been asked before, but... is there any news on what's happening with the intro movie?

1. 15 tracks (mostly ~4 minutes, a 2, several 5+, one is nearly 7 minutes), and 16 interludes that clock more like 1 minute each but one is almost 3.

2. The 7 minute track is a reimagining of the title+main track by Simon and Dabu.

3. Living on in the old versions for now!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: November 01, 2022, 09:39:35 pm »

So I'm dipping back into DF, and haven't been able to parse a clear answer to this out of the previous FotF replies:

What is the state of keyboard control in DF and what plans are there for it going forward?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: November 01, 2022, 09:45:57 pm »

We still have keyboard control and Its going to be supported in the future.

Thank you for the answers Toady!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 389