Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398174 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2021, 11:08:26 am »

Just a quick question, will the Steam Version with the very much apprieciated UI changes still work with ASCII tileset? Because I'm seeing tons of icons in the new UI which I can't picture with ASCII.
As far as I understand Premium will have Premium stuff on top of Classic stuff (plus vendor specific things). It's been said several times that the UI translation issues from Premium UI to Classic UI will be handled once the Premium UI has been stabilized, and that key bindings should be added in this phase as well.
The statements haven't been iron clad guarantees, though, so I'm still worried the release track stop will be run into at full speed before these things have been done.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2021, 02:58:08 pm »

Just a quick question, will the Steam Version with the very much apprieciated UI changes still work with ASCII tileset? Because I'm seeing tons of icons in the new UI which I can't picture with ASCII.
As far as I understand Premium will have Premium stuff on top of Classic stuff (plus vendor specific things). It's been said several times that the UI translation issues from Premium UI to Classic UI will be handled once the Premium UI has been stabilized, and that key bindings should be added in this phase as well.
The statements haven't been iron clad guarantees, though, so I'm still worried the release track stop will be run into at full speed before these things have been done.
Well I probably won't miss classic UI but I will miss the ASCII tileset if it isn't compatible with the UI overhaul.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2021, 04:39:00 pm »

If it had been my choice I would have had the same UI for both versions with only the tile set differing, as that's less to maintain, but I currently use a tile set.

Regardless, if it devolves into mouse only fortress it's a death sentence as far as I'm concerned.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2021, 01:31:33 pm »

Steam Community Update Delayed Until Tomorrow, Friday 27 August 2021

Everything's fine on Tarn's end, just a Kitfox related delay. They're taking a well-deserved break after a game release. It should be back on schedule going forward.
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2021, 05:03:37 pm »

They're taking a well-deserved break doing post-Beta real-time community-interactive game pwning 'testing' after a game release.
How I read that..  :P

(Not that I'd blame them.)

(edit: From the looks of recent release info/chatter, "Boyfriend Dungeon". Which, from initial appearances, isn't as bad as it might sound, given some such games out there that pop up al the time in Android ads, for me. But I still need to continue to not get Kitfox and Fenoxo confused with each other on the naming basis alone.. ;) )
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:14:56 pm by Starver »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2021, 02:52:07 am »

They're taking a well-deserved break doing post-Beta real-time community-interactive game pwning 'testing' after a game release.
How I read that..  :P

(Not that I'd blame them.)

(edit: From the looks of recent release info/chatter, "Boyfriend Dungeon". Which, from initial appearances, isn't as bad as it might sound, given some such games out there that pop up al the time in Android ads, for me. But I still need to continue to not get Kitfox and Fenoxo confused with each other on the naming basis alone.. ;) )

There's clearly some games industry insider stuff there I'm missing, but I honestly think they're actually on vacation! Tanya X. Short (Captain of Kitfox, co-editor of two books with Tarn Adams) has been a long-time and outspoken anti-crunch advocate. What I've seen this week is that while the rest of the team is checking their messages from time to time, (out of habit if nothing else) Tanya herself has been the one taking bug reports and answering pressing questions.

Heh, Boyfriend Dungeon is way cuter and yet deeper, than it has any right to be.
Team Bug Fix!

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2021, 10:36:04 am »

Steam Community Update 27 August 2021: Taverns, Temples and Hospitals  🚑Dwarf Fortress Steam Updates

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2948156842580837110

Full text:

Hi again!

The game has several special locations that can be given names and which can spread out over several meeting/bedroom/etc. zones, even across different z levels. Dwarves that work in places like this have always had special labor assignments, even before we added the work detail system from the previous news update, and we need to support this in the new interface. Locations also have various other functions we've also supported now.

Traditionally, Dwarf Fortress has had four types of locations you can set up: taverns, temples, libraries, and, more recently, guildhalls. Taverns and libraries allow you to opt-in to more visitors from the outside world, as people come to relax and study. Since, multiple zones like meeting areas and bedrooms can be assigned to a single named location, you can make, for instance, a library which has both a scriptorium and a place for scholars to meet, or you can allow the priests in your temple to have their own private quarters which are still accounted as part of the temple.

In the tavern above, both of these tavern keepers are part-time. The first isn't specialized (the green hammer), so they'll do odd jobs all over the fort. The second is specialized, but they are also assigned to a carpenter's shop. Of course, they have little to do without any goblets! You can set the level of items stocked using the controls there. Most locations need items of different sorts.

Some locations, the temple and guildhall, can be affiliated with organizations in the fortress (and in the case of religions, the entire world.) As their value increases, for instance, you can recognize the priesthood which allows you to assign the fort's priest and then high priest of that religion. The temple in the image has risen from "shrine" to "temple" status, but more migrants that belong to the Creed of Walls need to arrive before a priest can be assigned. Religions are generated during the world historical process, and priests can comfort stressed-out dwarves. Functioning guilds allow dwarves to share their skills in demonstrations.

For the Steam release, hospitals have joined the list of multi-zone locations! They were always one of the more involved single-purpose zones, and doctors one of the more complicated professions, so it sped up the interface-making process to just pull them over rather than trying to support their in-between oddness, ha ha. Now you can make big named multi-level hospitals now with specialized operating rooms and traction benches in the osteo ward or whatever you like, and bedrooms for the doctors to sleep in - or just throw everything together in one zone as before.

- Tarn

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2021, 12:13:11 pm »

Very nice to have hospitals supplies in normal units, and not "units of thread x 15,000" for example.

I'm terrified that hospitals have a power requirement now, but it's probably just a typo.  ;D
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2021, 01:29:58 pm »

I'm terrified that hospitals have a power requirement now, but it's probably just a typo.  ;D
No clino, this is proof that they have swerved over into the myth&magic arc, doctors will need magic power to cast healing spells. I'm afraid this unexpected change of direction will mean Dwarf Fortress Premium won't release until sometime in 2026. /s

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »

I rather guess it’s a typo. Powder for casts, as in https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Health_care#Casts

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2021, 07:18:11 pm »

A waterwheel requirement for traction benches is much more interesting, though!
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2021, 07:37:30 pm »

A waterwheel requirement for traction benches is much more interesting, though!
Spoiler: Why not both? (click to show/hide)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2021, 06:33:42 pm »

Now we just need the ability to decide what injuries go where. If you're dealing with a werebeast attack, a quarantine zone for the potentially infected would be nice. Without the ability to designate that, you're either stuck mucking with doors to the other wings, or just setting up every single room as a quarantine room.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #253 on: September 09, 2021, 01:52:17 pm »

Steam Community Update 9 September 2021: Spiral Entrances 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2949283920390370566

Full Text:

Hello!

We went back this time and did some cleanup to make sure it didn't pile up on us too badly. For instance, you may have noticed in the seasonal update videos when I had the camera over three-dimensional terrain, like the hills outside, that dwarves, buildings, and items would disappear whenever they were on the lower levels - it would only print those play elements when they were on the top level being viewed. Not so hard to handle, but I never got around to it. Until now!

Now you can see everything down below, not just the terrain.

And just a whole lot of other random hanging stuff over the two weeks. It's possible to deconstruct buildings now, set bins and barrel numbers on stockpiles, and place weapon traps. It highlights which object you've recentered the screen on, you can shift the info pane between contained objects and their containers, and you can pop the info pane from held items up to the creature holding them. You can move the camera now by holding and dragging with the middle mouse button in additional to the previous WASD option. It's clearer now which stockpile options are set. Flowers, cloth, and grassy stairs print correctly. You can recenter on announcements, certain mouse clicks don't bleed through menus to the map underneath, and more. Nothing earth-shattering, but all either necessary or very helpful.

But enough of that for now! We've started in on the remaining chunky to-do items, and we'll be back with some more interface updates for next time.

- Tarn

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 09, 2021, 02:00:13 pm »

Woot!

It seems so soon after the last one, lol, I genuinely looked to make sure this wasn't back to back weeks this time.
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38