Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.6|50.11] - now with mice  (Read 41563 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.6|50.11] - now with mice
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:25:21 am »

Looking at this mod release forum one thing struck me as strange; pretty much all the mods are in one way or another complete overhauls, seeking to either rebalance the game, add an entirely new setting, or even on the smaller scale add quite a big mechanic or civilization that would change the way you play by quite a lot.

This mod does not have as an goal to in any way rehaul or change the setting of Dwarf Fortress, but instead strives to add things that should be compatible with pretty much any setting, as long as not all real-life lifeforms have been completely replaced by new fantastic ones. So this is a mod adding real-life animals and plants.

This mod currently adds 39 "full-size" animals, 35 vermin, 8 trees, 3 "grasses", 7 crop-plants, and 2 plantable fungi, all found in real life. I've tried my best to add flavor to each one, so hercules beetle men can grapple with their horns, you can weave baskets out of blue whale baleen, and sun bears do indeed eat bees and grubs if they have the chance to.

Big Creatures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vermin:

Crops (including two fungi):

Trees:

Grasses (or ground-cover):

Legacy Changelog (the up to date one is in the download):

This mod is currently on a sparse updating schedule, but suggestions are welcome none the less. They will be prioritized over what random ideas I have, whenever the time comes to put things into the next update. Also, this is my first published mod, so I'd expect some newbie mistakes/bugs.

And last but not least, the download: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16179

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.0] - a real-life creature pack
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:26:50 am »

Could I request some non-vermin species of crabs?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:34:32 am »

Working on it, though due to the way gaits work they won't be able to walk on the seafloor (they swim instead). Japanese spider crabs and coconut crabs are currently in. Planning to add king crabs and touch up the animal people variations for better crab people before I release the update. If you have some specific crab you want me to do I can fit in that as well.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.1] - now with crabs and anteaters
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:22 pm »

Version 1.1 up. Added Japanese spider crabs (just spider crabs in game), coconut crabs and king crabs per request (though only the first is a true crab :/), and also giant anteaters.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 07:18:49 pm »

If you have some specific crab you want me to do I can fit in that as well.
I'd say either the red rock crab (Cancer productus), or the lesser known helmet crab (Telmessus cheiragonus). The red rock crab would probably be a common shore species with viable amounts of meat and shell, but the helmet crab is just a crab of little value I happen to like for its habit of hiding in eelgrass. That, and surprisingly its one of the fastest moving crabs for its size.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:20 am »

hey, welcome to the club :D

If you have some specific crab you want me to do I can fit in that as well.
I'd say either the red rock crab (Cancer productus), or the lesser known helmet crab (Telmessus cheiragonus). The red rock crab would probably be a common shore species with viable amounts of meat and shell, but the helmet crab is just a crab of little value I happen to like for its habit of hiding in eelgrass. That, and surprisingly its one of the fastest moving crabs for its size.

The red rock crab I imagine is pretty much what the standard vanilla crab is based on, and while it is somewhat weird that there are both just a "crab" and then various species of specific crabs I don't plan on altering vanilla raws/redo it with a better name. The helmet crab is in the game now, though due to it's small size I'm thinking of maybe turning it into a vermin, if that's okay with you.

The next version will come after I've made a few more other creatures to fill it up. I'm open for more requests.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »

I'd like to point this out, the crab dwarf fortress uses is.... very large, as in larger than the coconut crab IRL last I checked, which is supposed to be the largest crab capable of land movement

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »

True, they're huge. They're 8000 cm3 and coconut crabs are (according to my very approximate calculations) 6440 cm3. Still, other than that they feel to samey to make red rock crabs as well.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 06:18:15 pm »

You know, I've never really encountered normal crabs in dwarf fortress, which I thought was kinda the reason of making a bunch of different species, so you can actually experience them. Nevertheless, if you feel like it would just be a reskin, then I understand not putting them in. I'm also okay with helmet crabs being vermin, because I failed to realize just how small they really are. That being said, it would be pretty cool if you could give them some kind of vermin attack or interaction where they 'pinch' unsuspecting dwarves who wander too close. Other than that, I might look around for some actually remarkable crab species, either that or I'm just going to recommend those giant fire urchins that live in some tropical seas. I haven't looked for their scientific name yet, but they're basically a foot tall by a foot wide red balls of spikes with each spike covered in venom that causes excruciating fire like pain in the affected area. Oh, and the spines break off and get lodges in the wound, just to make it that much harder to deal with  :P .

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 07:12:06 am »

How about desert, marine and rhinoceros iguanas?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:15:34 pm »

I just discovered that rhinoceros iguanas exist, I second the notion for adding them.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »

Some more ideas.
Animals:
Equids: Onager, Kiang, (African) Wild Ass and Przewalski's Horse. Hinnies as a female counterpart to the mule, though sterile still.
Canines: Maned Wolf, (African) Painted Wolf, and Feral Dogs. Feral Dogs all have the [CRAZED] tag, preventing safe domestication.
Primatomorpha: (Various Species of) Lemurs, Drills and Colugos. Colugos are frugivorous, flying vermin who live in mangrove swamps and tropical forests.
Rodents: Springhares and Jerboas. Vermin which are functionally similar, only with different habitats: Springhares live in tropical savanas, grasslands and shrublands, while Jerboas live in deserts. I don't know if possible, but perhaps give the giant and man variants of them physical attributes which promote jumping.

Plants:
Woody Cacti: Giant Club and Cardón. Giant Clubs produce un-brewable fruit.
Fruit Cacti: Pitaya and Peyote. Grows in deserts and can be farmed aboveground. Both brewable. Peyote and derived food/drink cause dizziness and good feelings.
Trees: Buckthorn. Buckthorn is a small, temperate broadleaf tree that produces brewable berries. Buckthorn berries and derived food/drink cause nausea as well as stomach and gut pain.
Flowers: Datura. Datura can be harvested from rainforests and grown aboveground. Datura and derived food will make the consumer become [CRAZED].
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:51:31 pm by Melchizedek »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:14:45 pm »

Why not add some prickly pear cactuses while you're at it? Those can be cultivated pretty easily.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5