Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1416054 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: March 15, 2017, 10:05:25 am »

Practical steam engines didn't exist until long after 1400, though. That's not remotely comparable.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:59 am »

Fire lances when? 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Aarzang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:02 am »

Dont know if this question have been asked yet, but will there be any changes in vermin movement? Cause right now animals such as lungfishes still fly high in blue skies and get eaten by predator birds or burrow deep underground, occasionally being seen in tunnels under the river. This is kinda strange...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:28:29 am by Aarzang »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:35 pm »

Fire lances when? 3:

If you use divine metal (sun/day sphere) and or coat the weapon in a ever burning/temporarily burning substance there's no reason you couldn't do that already with moderate tools & caution taken to not set yourself on fire (ofc day/sun doesn't do anything at the moment etc)

More specifically you'd need to have it defined that the tip is on fire rather than the whole spear as a object which could come into the hilt-blade-binding/nailing it all together kind of thing.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:22 pm »

Fire lances when? 3:

If you use divine metal (sun/day sphere) and or coat the weapon in a ever burning/temporarily burning substance there's no reason you couldn't do that already with moderate tools & caution taken to not set yourself on fire (ofc day/sun doesn't do anything at the moment etc)

More specifically you'd need to have it defined that the tip is on fire rather than the whole spear as a object which could come into the hilt-blade-binding/nailing it all together kind of thing.

ಠ_ಠ

I meant this thing ya goof.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »

Fire lances when? 3:

That would be a terrible idea. You could never put the weapon down or away without worrying about setting yourself, or something or someone else, on fire.

A fire lance is a small flamethrower attached to a spear. They were in use during the Song dynasty in China before the development of cannon.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:05:02 pm by Urist Tilaturist »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 15, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »

Dont know if this question have been asked yet, but will there be any changes in vermin movement? Cause right now animals such as lungfishes still fly high in blue skies and get eaten by predator birds or burrow deep underground, occasionally being seen in tunnels under the river. This is kinda strange...
Lime green if that's a question you actually want answered (answer will be, bugs are bugs and of course will be fixed one day, no timetable).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 15, 2017, 04:52:46 pm »

Practical steam engines didn't exist until long after 1400, though. That's not remotely comparable.
Boy I'm glad you're not Toady's interviewer. 'Dude, shut up about steam and stick to gunpowder. 1400 man, focus.'

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 15, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »

Fire lances when? 3:

ಠ_ಠ

I know what you mean, but that's a flame thrower, you'd need propellant and gunpowder isn't planned. Coating the spear in chemicals would be the only way to get it to actually light on fire without using magic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »

Fire lances when? 3:

ಠ_ಠ

I know what you mean, but that's a flame thrower, you'd need propellant and gunpowder isn't planned. Coating the spear in chemicals would be the only way to get it to actually light on fire without using magic.
Who said gunpowder isn't planned? Even in the old interview I just posted when he was more against including it, Toady suggests putting it in as an option.

And when we start to get sliders for our worlds, making pretty much everything optional there's no reason to think gunpowder won't turn up one day.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 15, 2017, 09:23:21 pm »

Hence why I suggested fire lances. If any gunpowder weapon is going to be the first to possibly be included, it'd likely be something that's early in history, simple in construction, and exceedingly dwarven. What is more dwarven than taking the very power of the earth (or at least the nitre and brimstone of the earth) and strapping it to a spear? o3o

Granted, there seems to be more than one style of fire lance, I've seen depictions of the charges attached to an actual spear, and I've seen ones that are just the device on a pole.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 15, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »

Will we be able to refer to the map when the liaison turns up with his wall of text about what's going on in the world (while he's actually talking I mean, rather than writing everything down and checking the map later)?

Also, you mentioned just before the taverns release that you didn't get the time to add a map that'd be used to listen to tavern rumours. Will that be added now that there's a map, or has that been put off for now?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:18:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 16, 2017, 12:35:29 am »

Any timeline on cannibalism being fixed? It appears that the issue concerning it has at last been categorized as confirmed and assigned, even though you've indicated being aware of the bug as far back as December 2015.

Also, scorpionposts when? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 16, 2017, 01:06:07 am »

Any timeline on cannibalism being fixed? It appears that the issue concerning it has at last been categorized as confirmed and assigned, even though you've indicated being aware of the bug as far back as December 2015.

Also, scorpionposts when? :V

There's no indication that Toady's any more aware of why it's gone wrong than the last time you asked. Last we heard was 'no idea what went wrong'.

And even before it stopped working for elves and goblins, dwarf adventurers were able to incorrectly feast on their mates so the ethics are fundamentally messed up somewhere. Indicating a massive bug hunt and clean up of code required, indicating that it won't be done until ethics are looked at again (Scenarios).

GDS is missing because the social experiment to see how attached one crazy fan can get to a big 'S' is ongoing.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 16, 2017, 01:09:43 am »

GDS is missing because the social experiment to see how attached one crazy fan can get to a big 'S' is ongoing.

And here I could've sworn I'd yet to scorpionpost in at least a week. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 211