Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very low resource utilization on Ryzen?  (Read 1450 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very low resource utilization on Ryzen?
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:09:42 am »

Since there isn't a tech support forum I'm posting this here.
I've noticed very low resource utilization on my new Ryzen system during worldgen, no more than 10% of single thread utilization, less than 1% drive utilization, around 20% for ram and none (of course) for my graphics.
Are there others that have this experience or is there anyone that can help me figuring out what the bottleneck is.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Very low resource utilization on Ryzen?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »

The game doesn't use very much processing power, mainly due to the fact that most everything is on a single core. As for memory, throw the game into a Huge + Everything on max world gen and watch how it eats up your system memory.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 07:34:54 pm »

The game doesn't use very much processing power, mainly due to the fact that most everything is on a single core. As for memory, throw the game into a Huge + Everything on max world gen and watch how it eats up your system memory.
The thing is that it doesn't use more than 10% of a single core or thread, which it should, I know already that it's single threaded which was why I specifically said no more than 10 percent on a single thread. The problem is that with 10% utilization of a single thread it is actually slower to generate a world than on my old computer and my laptop which actually uses the core fully.
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »

Is it 1 core at 10%, others at zero, or is every core at 10%?
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:11:45 pm »

It is solved now, weirdly by replacing my power supply, but hey it works.

Edit: And it was at 4 cores 10 percent, now it's single core 100%
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:16:34 pm by Zorbeltuss »