Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reboot: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 1903 times)

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
Reboot: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:58:00 am »

This kind of thread is useful, but I don't want to necro, so I'm just going to reboot it.
One question:
Does reading every single Dnd 4e and 5e sourcebook count as playing the game?
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Reboot: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:22:59 am »

No.

Also your title made me think you were shilling for a Reboot (the old animated TV show) tabletop game. I came in here because that sounded interesting and found nothing of the sort :-\

E: Also, there's an active pen and paper thread over in general discussion, heh.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:24:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 07:32:29 am »

I have never actually played the game but I've read every single official adventure and manual for Dnd 5e and 4e. I have three freinds but I can't play with them cause they are all techncly me.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:42:26 am »

I have never actually played the game but I've read every single official adventure and manual for Dnd 5e and 4e. I have three freinds but I can't play with them cause they are all techncly me.

You should try doing some online RP, through Roll20 or something similar! D&D is best in person with a handful of friends, but if you can find a group of chill people online who are interested in having fun you'll be golden. Just be careful of the creeps and the people who think it's their job to 'beat' the game or the GM/DM.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:15:26 am »

Also your title made me think you were shilling for a Reboot (the old animated TV show) tabletop game. I came in here because that sounded interesting and found nothing of the sort :-\

that would be cool for a Homebrew honestly, the issue is making the playable races (or in this case programs?) workable. after all the main characters of the show all were basically human in appearance just from different digital background like some Mainframe Agents (kinda like an Antivirus software), a Hacker using its own program to mess around in the data, a character that escaped from a Videogame and the viruses themselves. they didnt have a cohesive explanation for their existance, and this doesnt include the other "NPC" programs doing stuff in the background which were probably almost infinite in shape, personality and function. it would take a lot of time to figure out how to differentiate them enough for players to pick an archetype

outside of that the setting fits really well with DnD mechanics, specially everything regarding The User which was basically a Dungeon Master in the show.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:17:39 am by xaritscin »

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:29:01 am »

Oh yeah I tried playing with my sister once and the game went like this:
- You are in a forest.
- I call the police to arrest the forest!
- You don't have a cellphone.
- I find the nearest tree and cut it down!
- A cat appears!
- I pet it!
- It scratches you.
- I kick the cat into the lake!
-  facepalm
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:23:15 am »

You should try doing some online RP, through Roll20 or something similar! D&D is best in person with a handful of friends, but if you can find a group of chill people online who are interested in having fun you'll be golden. Just be careful of the creeps and the people who think it's their job to 'beat' the game or the GM/DM.

Or GMs who feel the same way about players.