Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 4X Games Megathread  (Read 9660 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 4X Games Megathread
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 06:38:19 am »

Believe me, you wouldn't.

and here's proof.

They're in order.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:18 am »

Hmm... What do you guys think of Elemental?

I do think it would be a great game... I love the medieval game setting...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 08:38:18 am »

Hmm... What do you guys think of Elemental?

I do think it would be a great game... I love the medieval game setting...
Depends how complex it'll be. It might turn out to be the best thing since Dominions 3. But then it's being made by Stardock, so I mostly expect it to be casual and boring like their previous games.

I actually think it's something hard to mess up considering it's supposed to have great cutomizability, turn-based overland and real-time tactical combat. But this is Stardock. And having played GalCiv2 (a show of their turn-based and customization) and SoaSE (a show of their real-time), I feel that all they can do is mind-numbingly boring but very user-friendly games.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 02:53:54 pm »

I find the GalCiv series to be unbearably dull... I tried playing them, it ends up being a game about one ships that wanders everywhere, and a few worlds that produce ships at a incredibly slow rate... then the Choose Your Own Colonization for each planet, is a funny gimmick but ultimately is annoying.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:18 pm »

There's a method to playing GalCiv games. The beginning of the game is basically spent colonizing as many new planets as possible. Remember to juggle the budget, because undeveloped colonies have a high upkeep and too many new ones can quickly send you into debt.

After the first colonies develop, develop them in a particular direction. A few planets for research, some for commerce, others for ship building. A planet wholly dedicated to ship building can pump out large, high quality ships each turn.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »

I played Gal Civ for all of 30 minutes, I just couldn't get into. SEV draws me in but I start getting bored later on, fighters are waay too powerful, a group or two strategically placed along with a spy sat at each of the wormhole majigys, (Spy Sat is what I always call my satellites which only really powerful sensors and sometimes cloaking devices.) and nothing can take your systems because they can't be hit with conventional weapons. Carriers only needed to take them through wormholes and after that they can be kept out of the battles so your enemy is basically stuck trying to fight off a massive swarm of fighters and only one weapon on each of his ships can normally hit.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

I find the GalCiv series to be unbearably dull...
yeah, me too. :/
Choose Your Own Colonization for each planet.
Say what?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »

Say what?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 07:58:13 pm »

Say who?
Say how?
Say why?
say where?
Say... hmmm I can't remember the 5th one.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »

I played Gal Civ for all of 30 minutes, I just couldn't get into. SEV draws me in but I start getting bored later on, fighters are waay too powerful, a group or two strategically placed along with a spy sat at each of the wormhole majigys, (Spy Sat is what I always call my satellites which only really powerful sensors and sometimes cloaking devices.) and nothing can take your systems because they can't be hit with conventional weapons. Carriers only needed to take them through wormholes and after that they can be kept out of the battles so your enemy is basically stuck trying to fight off a massive swarm of fighters and only one weapon on each of his ships can normally hit.

I suggest you try out Space Empires IV. Most people find it to be a lot more enjoyable. It's also far more balanced so no worrying about overpowered fighters.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 08:28:35 pm »

I bought GalCiv2 (and its expansions) because I heard a lot of good things about it... how fun it is, and how smart the AI is.

But within a week I found the AI dumb as a brick, even on the very high levels. They get stronger only because of their starting bonus on higher difficulty levels, and that they know where the planets are so they get to colonize worlds faster. Their abilities to judge their strength against the player is laughable (declaring wars when they really shouldn't, surrendering to another AI when they can still put up a good fight). In fact, the most serious harm they can do to me is when they surrender very early to another AI, creating a super large AI faction in a single turn. The AI also don't know how to wage war properly, I often see them sending nothing but fighters to my outlying planets, which all got shot down by my star bases before they can attack.

The planet management is quite boring, because there are not a lot of things to decide. There's really only five types of buildings - money maker, factories, research, growth, morale. They don't have drawbacks, you just need to keep tabs on the amount of money they are costing you. Once you decide what a planet is for (money, weapons or research) the planet management may as well be taken over by an algorithm.

The only plus for GalCiv2 is the ship designer... but that's just a gimmick.

My 4X game of choice is Fall from Heaven 2, running under Civilization 4's engine. I haven't played in a while... I was waiting for the AI upgrades they are working on, to teach the AIs how to use spells properly.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 10:27:18 pm »

My 4X game of choice is Fall from Heaven 2, running under Civilization 4's engine. I haven't played in a while... I was waiting for the AI upgrades they are working on, to teach the AIs how to use spells properly.

Have you tried the Orbis modmod for Fall from Heaven 2? Makes FfH2 even harder. :D

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 07:36:46 am »

Have you tried the Orbis modmod for Fall from Heaven 2? Makes FfH2 even harder. :D

I only know about one usually referenced as "mod mod"... looks like it's time for me to go back to CFC and read... :)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:44 am »

We already had that thread, so I'll keep it short, because basically I'm just repeating myself.

Nothing beats MoO 1&2. There isnt even any competition. At all.

BUT!

Personally I find it tedious to multiplayer. Singleplayer is alright. More than alright, in fact. But we already know that ;D

I found "Star Wars: Empire at War" very convenient for multiplayer sessions. Kind of plays like a boardgame, but with more flow. Yeah, it aint turnbased, but you can set the speed slow enough. Yeah, there isnt all *that much* research going on (you dont have a tech tree, you just advance in levels) and yeah, if you want the full game as multiplayer you can only play it with 2 people. If you can live with just fleet battles or planetary invasions you can pick more people, but for those stuff you got better games.

All that aside, I really really enjoy the multiplayer. I think they managed to design the game in a way that makes it just playable. Dont get me wrong, I really like the love for detail in the moo games, but that just doesnt work out properly on a lan party. Sure, if you're a 50 year old bearded nerd with family and day job that is happy with playing a turn at the end of the day, then sending the turnfile and then going to bed, be my guest, multiplayer MoO or SEV. But if you want to actually play, try star wars: empire at war. Upside: it's so cheap, it doesnt really matter if you dont like it.

Also... I LOVE the space battles in the game, just as they are, I wouldnt change a thing. And yes, I played homeworld.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »

Honestly, I could see Turn Based 4x working very, very well in multiplayer, but I've never found one that I've gotten to work in multiplayer.

Mostly I think it would be awesome because people could potentially rp out alliances and diplomacy, and have awesome backstabbing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4