Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need non-economic stone / change "less solid rock" for existing fortress?  (Read 2835 times)

yaymeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ran into a bad rock shortage for the first time since I play DF, probably due to the "less solid rock" option...?
Is there any way to change the option for an already existing fortress? Not sure if I have to change the settings and then copy some raws over the save's raws...

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need non-economic stone / change "less solid rock" for existing fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:28 am »

can't be changed without regenning the world, and i really wonder, how you can run out of rocks... I had fortresses with >20 masonry workshops making blocks on repeat for 5+years, supplied by only 5 miners that died all the time, so they never got up in levels... And I mostly didn't even stripmine rocks, but ores... (well... actually both of my forum fortresses have that)
Use blocks for anything (there is almost nothing that can't be made out of blocks instead of stones, mechanisms is the only exception I would spontaneously think of) or use bones(since you can butcher invaders, even with the current bugs you should have enough), gems or planks...

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:11:45 am »

What kind of layers are you digging into?  I'm still overflowing in rocks.  One way the mod takes care of the problem is create blocks in masons workshop or stonecutters workshop then you can make almost everything out of the blocks in the stonecutter.  Pretty much doubles the efficiency of using a stone on it's own and brings it back to vanilla levels of being able to produce things with stone while keeping it elective because of block production.

Use blocks for anything (there is almost nothing that can't be made out of blocks instead of stones, mechanisms is the only exception I would spontaneously think of..

I almost exclusively dig out obsidian and basalt, just love the color for my fortress walls and tend to favor volcanic regions.  But if you dig a lot of that stone the stone cutter will let you produce magma safe mechanisms from two blocks each I think.  Also a very very fast way to churn out expensive mechanism trade goods from a legendary stone cutter to snatch up that last minute trade license or hellfire turret.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:14:10 am by kamikazi1231 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:30:27 am »

Less solid rock option? That doesnt even exist anymore, since multiple versions...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

yaymeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:39:06 am »

Hmm... is there a list of stone types that don't drop / still drop rock?

I dug my fortress in the middle of the first iron ore veins I found after digging straight down on embark, thought I'd found a rather sweet spot. I can see mostly clay, peat, dolomite, rubble, diorite, gabbro, living stone in my fortress walls + lots of different ores. Haven't really done any exploratory digging because I thought I had enough stone from digging out the fort and I'm in the middle of savage good/evil biomes meeting where my dorfs don't survive outside the fortress long.

yaymeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 05:40:11 am »

Less solid rock option? That doesnt even exist anymore, since multiple versions...
It doesn't? Weird, I thought I had the newest version, have to check that.. somehow... :/

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:42 am »

clay and peat drop nothing (as in vanilla)
rubble is the only regular stone layer material, that doesn't drop boulders and has no meaning
living stone also gives you no construction amterial...
But gabbro, diorite, and dolomite should work perfectly fine

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:13:21 am »

If you just need building materials, you can always use the clay to make lots and lots of clay boulders. Apart from that, you just need to do more mining.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

yaymeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:22 am »

Thanks! SO those mostly drop stone, after all...

Turned out to be a stockpiles issue, just didn't find it because I had 2 stone stockpiles that were sort of mixed (probably designated the first one while the miners were still digging). One was filled with economic stones & ores... and for the other one I must have accidentally hit [a] a whole while ago in passing -.-"

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 03:35:24 am »

If you build a fountain and designate swimming jobs, it produces stones. These can be claimed(or dumped if cluttering) and used like normal boulders. This is likely a bug though as the material shows up as unknown.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:44 pm »

If you build a fountain and designate swimming jobs, it produces stones. These can be claimed(or dumped if cluttering) and used like normal boulders. This is likely a bug though as the material shows up as unknown.

Do you have temperature turned off? What you describe sound like evaporating rocks that should vaporize when produced. Never turn off temperature in masterwork, or you break a LOT of things that depend on the rock disappearing and producing a syndrome. So not a bug, but a feature overlooked. And now you are going to have a lot off walls/furniture/etc disappear. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 03:19:24 pm »

no, its an actual bug. There was something with the fountain.... I think the stones created when you train swiming stay. I needed to create something to generate XP, but I missed the temp setting for those.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »

no, its an actual bug. There was something with the fountain.... I think the stones created when you train swiming stay. I needed to create something to generate XP, but I missed the temp setting for those.

Lol, ok.