Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0001  (Read 3052 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Design Phase, 0001
« on: February 11, 2024, 02:20:52 am »

The blue-colored Entity pondered, a thousand threads of thought coalescing into a single conclusion in an instant. They would simply have to teach the red-colored Entity the true meaning of the Arms Race.

They split, personality-fragments teeming around them, whispering to them. What to Shift. What to Design.

They decided that they would be victorious, and the red Entity would see the error of their ways.

They began their creation, metacrystal taking shape and form and gaining purpose. They would have no need to directly strike the other Entity, since they would conquer this battlefield.

Core Thread.

Spoiler: Current Designs (click to show/hide)

It is the first Shift Phase. What would you like to change about the game? I'll recommend that you use a vote box to keep track of the votes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:31:18 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Blue Faction - Shift Phase, 0000
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:04:53 am »

Shift: Every team will have a certain proportion of saboteurs chosen by the mod. Saboteurs get points and prestige when their respective teams perform poorly. The rest of a team gets a bonus if a saboteur is correctly identified, at which point that player becomes a normal player and someone else becomes a saboteur. Of course, if a saboteur admits to being a saboteur, the bonus is forfeit, so players can't just surrender immediately for bonuses.

There, now it's mafia.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 10:51:56 am »

Blue da be do~ Magic for you blue da be do~ Magic for you~

The Effectiveness of Designs is boosted by how closely they adhere to the Entity's viewpoint. Going against the grain will result in the opposite effect. Exciting Magic for Blue, boring world war Tech for Red.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 11:15:02 am by TricMagic »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 03:52:26 pm »

Quote from: from the existing rules
Shifts that discriminate between teams, are too complex by the moderator's standards, or are too grand in scale or scope, will be altered beyond what was intended. This will be focused on making them more reasonable.
Sorry Tric but I don't think that shift will fly. It'll need to affect both teams the same.

My proposal for a chaos inducing, salt producing shift;
Quote from: Shift
At the end of the design phase the moderator will roll a d6. On a 6 both teams receive the designs the other team designed instead of their own.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 03:58:54 pm »

Quote from: from the existing rules
Shifts that discriminate between teams, are too complex by the moderator's standards, or are too grand in scale or scope, will be altered beyond what was intended. This will be focused on making them more reasonable.
Sorry Tric but I don't think that shift will fly. It'll need to affect both teams the same.

My proposal for a chaos inducing, salt producing shift;
Quote from: Shift
At the end of the design phase the moderator will roll a d6. On a 6 both teams receive the designs the other team designed instead of their own.
It does though. If we do Tech stuff, it suffers. If we do Magic stuff, it's better.
 If they do Tech stuff, it's better, but if they do Magic stuff, it suffers. Prevents traitorous Magitech.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 04:01:24 pm »

I think we should be more ambitious.

Things like...
Shift: There's a third faction controlled by the moderator (go ahead and find some players somewhere else if you want to make it more authentic) which may randomly interact with either main faction in unpredictable ways.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 04:08:12 pm »

Quote from: Shiftbox
Reverse 6: TricMagic

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 12:31:07 pm »

We should do something cool.

Named Heroes: these are Unique and powerful units that can be improved by designs added to them. They get stronger as they fight

Quote from: vote box

Named heroes: Thanatos Russ (1)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 12:34:57 pm by Thanatos Russ »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 03:39:45 pm »

Quote from: votebox
Named heroes:(1) Thanatos Russ
Reverse 6:(2) Tric Magic, Jerick

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 04:17:11 pm »

Quote from: votebox
Named heroes:(2) Thanatos Russ, Failbird
Reverse 6:(2) Tric Magic, Jerick

Not particularly against the Reverse 6, I think it could honestly lead to more creativity, just like the idea of Named Heroes. If the votes haven't swung one way or the other by Wednesday I'll probably shift(heh) my vote.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 04:52:48 pm »

I don't really get the impression that named heroes aren't already something we could Design. Maybe we should ask Fallacy first?

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 06:09:48 pm »

Named heroes basically mechanically makes a unique unit that is automatically stronk.
It also does not need more effort or players and I don't like sabotage

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 06:39:49 pm »

Hm, think about it this way. Designs exist within the space of the mechanics. That's not to say every design needs a unique mechanical foundation, because designing itself is a mechanic.

So sure, you can design a named hero individual unit without a Named Heroes mechanic. The results might be lacking in comparison to such a design that has a specific special mechanic bolstering it, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 08:37:30 pm »

Hey so, since the two teams have no way of knowing what the other team is Shifting, what do you plan on doing if the two teams Shift mechanics that are either
1. Incredibly similar if not the same, or
2. So contradictory as to be practically mutually exclusive?

Like, say, if we were to make a Shift that says there is only one combat theater, but the Red team was to make a Shift that says there are three lanes of three combat theaters? Or if both teams were to Shift in resource mechanics with the same resources?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 08:40:48 pm »

At that point I would jumble the mechanics together and see what comes out on the other end. You'd probably get some kind of 'compromise' mechanic that melds the two.
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6