Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 139687 times)

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2020, 03:19:22 pm »

I'm trying to create a strain of vampire with the ability to spread through bites like a ghoul, but it isn't working for some reason. Is there anything I'm missing / doing wrong?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't actually see the line from ghouls for infectious attacks?  Try adding:
[CE_SPECIAL_ATTACK_INTERACTION:INTERACTION:VAMPIRE_INFECTIOUS_MI:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:START:0:ABRUPT]

Edit: The CE_SPECIAL_ATTACK_INTERACTION is a new token added for ghouls... I don't know if it will behave in worldgen properly like werecurses or vampires.  Worldgen might not even realize that vampires need to attack with a bite to feed.

It worked! Thanks man, your a lifesaver!
Updated code:
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2020, 03:40:30 pm »

What's a "Counting house" meeting area type? Appears in legends mode along with Catacombs.
Merchant counting house, built by worldgen merchant companies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_house

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2020, 04:12:49 pm »

CAVE_DETAILED civs make hillocks if they settle in a non-mountain biome.

Yep, been meaning to play around with that. Speaking of, anyone recall what sites look like if you place tree cities in abnormal locations? Like say, a tree city in the mountain biome...

Hell, one other thing I oughta test is seeing if telling it to place them in subterranean biomes does anything weird...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »

CAVE_DETAILED civs make hillocks if they settle in a non-mountain biome.

Yep, been meaning to play around with that. Speaking of, anyone recall what sites look like if you place tree cities in abnormal locations? Like say, a tree city in the mountain biome...

Hell, one other thing I oughta test is seeing if telling it to place them in subterranean biomes does anything weird...

There are certain locations that certain city types wont spawn at (such as tree wont show up in tundra), buuut Tree Sites can show up on the edge of mountain biomes like dwarf sites do.. but cause a hilarious glitch where npc's can spawn inside the ground in rare cases.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2020, 05:09:51 pm »

I'm reminded of the time I accidentally told the game that Resurfaced can spawn in ANY biome, so it figured that spawning a village in the ocean was a fine idea. The radium water ocean village worked fine until his jaw fell off I tried to start in it as an adventurer...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2020, 05:32:01 pm »

I'm reminded of the time I accidentally told the game that Resurfaced can spawn in ANY biome, so it figured that spawning a village in the ocean was a fine idea. The radium water ocean village worked fine until his jaw fell off I tried to start in it as an adventurer...

Yeah lmao I tried this with my aquatic like civ, and learned it doesn't work too well either lol.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2020, 05:47:56 pm »

Yep, the biome token I ended up using was to specify ANY_LAND if I recall, since "found villages in any region, even the most extreme climates" was the intent behind that idea.

Meanwhile, I'm pondering a more perplexing thing. If you have secret interactions, you can control who's valid to obtain them to a degree. You can not only screen for vampires and werebeasts, and ensure they're intelligent, but more importantly for what I'm doing I can tell the interactions to check for SYN_CLASS. This is what ensures things like picking up the War sphere's version of the "go apeshit" spell prevents you from picking up a redundant version of the spell from Strength, for example. It also lets me add spell opposition, like making it so that learning the healing spell prevents you from learning blight magic.

However, I'm ALSO adding syndrome-causing items that players will be able to craft from megabeast hearts and related materials. This is an issue, as there seems to be no equivalents to IT_REQUIRES and IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS. So that means I seem to be unable to make the megabeast-derived spell-granting items as selective as the secrets are.

Would I maybe be able to make it work by assigning a SYN_IDENTIFIER to each spell type? My idea here is that if all variants of the spell-granting syndrome have the same identifier, will this ensure that the syndrome CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION effects won't trigger a second time?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2020, 06:04:59 pm »

If that doesn't work you could make it so the spell granting syndrome instead gives a self targeted interaction to learn the spell in question.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2020, 06:08:27 pm »

If that doesn't work you could make it so the spell granting syndrome instead gives a self targeted interaction to learn the spell in question.

Worth a shot if my other idea doesn't pan out, though it feels kinda hacky. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2020, 06:33:11 pm »

Question, has anyone figured out a way to create a material that is extremely breakable and breaks almost immediantly in a fight?

With the recent update, im curious if its possible to create a Interactions in which gives a player a weapon that doesn't last that long before it breaks.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2020, 06:40:38 pm »

Updated code:

In what game mode did it work (World Gen, Arena, Adventure, Fortress?).  I've started playing around with it myself... it doesn't seem to spread in world gen like you would expect it too, but I bet it should at least work in Arena and probably Fortress and Adventure mode as well (assuming you can get a vampire immigrant).

Other fun testing: I gave a SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION to hydra megabeasts that allowed them to grant secrets through bites.  Their names gain the corresponding title ('water wounded' in the case of this, which are basically a copy-paste of spellcraft's water warriors). The XML export recognized the affected historical figures as having the interaction active, but not the secret knowledge.  So you can't completely spread secret knowledge this way, but you could presumably get a vampire/werebeast style curse spread maintained with something that originated as a secret.

Has anyone tried vampire-necromancers (a vampire curse that also gives raise dead abilities appropriate for building towers), or necromancer-vampires (necromancer secrets that also come with the need to suck blood)?  I wonder if they starve once they are in a tower since they have no living population to feed on.

Question, has anyone figured out a way to create a material that is extremely breakable and breaks almost immediantly in a fight?

With the recent update, im curious if its possible to create a Interactions in which gives a player a weapon that doesn't last that long before it breaks.

It should be possible to make a custom material that wears quickly... the trick is making this custom material also worth using in a fight. Maybe mod in a bunch of varieties of a custom materials based off of iron but different tweaks to each and test all of them in Arena till you find a combination that breaks easily but can still cut good.  I think keeping a good MAX_EDGE value will ensure it is a good cutting material and a high density will ensure a good blunt damage, and then weakening all the other properties will ensure the weapon takes wear damage quickly.  If you want the weapon to get damaged really quickly setting a HEATDAM_POINT below typical temperatures should also work.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2020, 07:11:30 pm »

I don't even...what?

Code: [Select]
undefined local creature material set to default: PENGUIN MAN ESSENCE_MAGIC
Why penguin men? Why ONLY penguin men, and not any other critter? Why, when the need for this material link is only required for creatures who have their normal heart materials replaced with something from the MEGAHEART material template, meaning the need for the material has to be explicitly set on a per-creature basis?

And why the fuck did the game abruptly decide that this is an issue, only after I told gargoyles to use the creature extract template for their magic-granting essence instead of a modified heart tissue template?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2020, 08:13:33 pm »

Updated code:

In what game mode did it work (World Gen, Arena, Adventure, Fortress?).  I've started playing around with it myself... it doesn't seem to spread in world gen like you would expect it too, but I bet it should at least work in Arena and probably Fortress and Adventure mode as well (assuming you can get a vampire immigrant).

Other fun testing: I gave a SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION to hydra megabeasts that allowed them to grant secrets through bites.  Their names gain the corresponding title ('water wounded' in the case of this, which are basically a copy-paste of spellcraft's water warriors). The XML export recognized the affected historical figures as having the interaction active, but not the secret knowledge.  So you can't completely spread secret knowledge this way, but you could presumably get a vampire/werebeast style curse spread maintained with something that originated as a secret.

Has anyone tried vampire-necromancers (a vampire curse that also gives raise dead abilities appropriate for building towers), or necromancer-vampires (necromancer secrets that also come with the need to suck blood)?  I wonder if they starve once they are in a tower since they have no living population to feed on.

The code works in the Testing Arena, so I imagine it will work in Adventure and Fortress Mode as well.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2020, 09:09:04 pm »

I'm adding various strains of vampirism to my mod, and this strain's ability is extremely fast regeneration (all vampires regenerate, but this strain does it faster and can even regrow limbs), however, when I tested it in the arena by smashing a bloodgaunt vampire's leg as a bronze colossus, the vampire did not heal.
What's wrong with this?
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2020, 02:22:20 am »

I'm adding various strains of vampirism to my mod, and this strain's ability is extremely fast regeneration (all vampires regenerate, but this strain does it faster and can even regrow limbs), however, when I tested it in the arena by smashing a bloodgaunt vampire's leg as a bronze colossus, the vampire did not heal.
What's wrong with this?
I don't know much about the new healing effects, but I recently learned that there's a weird quirk to interaction granted syndromes that might be causing this. Apparently, the game applies the syndrome as if it came from a tiny creature, so you have to mess a lot with the severity of each effect to actually get them strong enough to have any effect. It also means there's no way to have a one-size-fits-all sort of effect: if you balance it for human-sized creatures, the effect will be overpowered for smaller creature, and underpowered for larger ones :c
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 61