Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566121 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2850 on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »

You know, Kobolds laying eggs kinda works. Actually...

Kobolds are known for stealing. Here's a potential reason why;

Consider a Kobold nest While the eggs may be safe from predators, if hidden well in a good cave, they are not safe from a different Kobold clan, especially if they are left there while the parents forage and scavange. Now, what clan would be larger- one that respects property rights, or one that collects any old eggs they happen to see lying around?
Oooh, just like the slave-taking behaviours of some ant species?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »

You know, Kobolds laying eggs kinda works. Actually...

Kobolds are known for stealing. Here's a potential reason why;

Consider a Kobold nest While the eggs may be safe from predators, if hidden well in a good cave, they are not safe from a different Kobold clan, especially if they are left there while the parents forage and scavenge. Now, what clan would be larger- one that respects property rights, or one that collects any old eggs they happen to see lying around?

I can easily see Kobolds "pseudo-taming" creatures by stealing eggs, but stealing from other Kobolds? Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »

I can easily see Kobolds "pseudo-taming" creatures by stealing eggs, but stealing from other Kobolds? Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.
Aware, I think would be hard to judge. Kobolds to myself, don't seem to be very sapient. Being able to foresee events and plan for them is a pretty advance cognitive facility.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: January 07, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.

Stealing someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint. It's like the inverse of what a cuckoo does.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2854 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:41 pm »

Bees! <3

Now next to dwarven syrup and dwarven sugar, we'll have dwarven honey? ;)
I'm curious how it'll be implemented.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: January 07, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »

Wouldn't one of twenty Kobolds of a tribe stay and stand guard in the nest chamber of their home cave? Considering that they are prone to stealing, they'd be aware that other Kobolds are out there, capable of stealing their stuff and eggs.

Stealing someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint. It's like the inverse of what a cuckoo does.

Actually for pack animals it might make sense to prevent inbreeding.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: January 07, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »

Stealing an egg from an elder is a kobold rite of passage.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

I'd say getting honey would be like getting milk, but with a lot more screaming dwarves.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:13 am »

Honey :P so many things you can do with it starting with using it as cooking ingredient over mead to medical applications. Also bee-wax and jelly royal.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:45 am »

Stealing someone else's offspring to raise as your own seems like a pretty questionable strategy from an evolution standpoint.
Not if you castrate em!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:34 am »

Dear goodness Toady

CHANGE THE BACKGROUND OF THE ANIMAL DRIVE RESULTS!!!

My eyes BURN!!!  :'(

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:49 am »

Besides the standalone creatures, there are several vermin/parasites sponsored that (could) live on/adopt unwilling creatures. 
(cave beez living in beards, leeches clinging unto exposed skin, flees/mites/crabs living in furry bits or clothes, maggots burrowing into rotten bodyparts. etc)

Will these creatures get special code as they get added or will they, for now, remain the same as the vermin we know?

I've never seen it happen yet, my dorfs generally die of infection or thirst before they lose additional limbs; is the necrosis syndrome modelled in the healthcare/wound healing system ?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:11 am »

We will be able to mine and build in adventure mode?
And if it could be like that could we craft weapons and furniture in adventure mode?
I think some of us would enjoy to be a single man building everithing
Desu

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: January 08, 2011, 10:06:21 am »

Yeah. That's all planned.
*Hugs*

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: January 08, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

Besides the standalone creatures, there are several vermin/parasites sponsored that (could) live on/adopt unwilling creatures. 
(cave beez living in beards, leeches clinging unto exposed skin, flees/mites/crabs living in furry bits or clothes, maggots burrowing into rotten bodyparts. etc)

Will these creatures get special code as they get added or will they, for now, remain the same as the vermin we know?

This was covered in the sponsorship thread:

Oooh, niftiness. Out of curiosity, will these animals be implemented with all the expected bells and whistles, such as spitting cobras spitting venom, and termites eating wood?

I'm going to do my best -- there are things like the entire honey industry which I was considering putting in for the release but which overall might not be guaranteed with something like a bee sponsorship, but the existence and sponsorship of the bee certainly helps its prospects.  So, some of the animals imply more work than others, and I can't guarantee absolute satisfaction, but I am dedicated to getting things up to speed, and I'm all for adding new tags and things.
Quote from: LASD
With animals like the Kakapo that produce a distinct booming sound that can be heard miles away, are you planning to add descriptive sound lines to Adventure Mode when these kind of creatures are around?

Yeah, it could happen.  We'll probably focus on a few specific things for each animal, and it'll likely reverberate around a bit through the raws.

Also, it was revealed today that we're getting beekeeping.

We will be able to mine and build in adventure mode?
And if it could be like that could we craft weapons and furniture in adventure mode?
I think some of us would enjoy to be a single man building everithing

As was already said, this is all on the dev page:

Quote from: dev.html
Basic Adventure Mode Skills

* Some survival skills
          [...]
          o Ability to make clothing and some other objects from hides
    * Wood use
          o Ground debris/sticks/underbrush
          o Ability to chop down tree using appropriate tool
          o Ability to make simple wooden weapons and ammunition
          o Ability to use logs to make constructions
          o Site recognition for saving adventurer-made sites (will require entity pops first, see below)
          o Ability to name site
    * Digging and stone constructions
          o Ability to dig out soil tiles
          o Buried boulders in some soils
          o Ability to pull up surface boulders
          o Ability to make rough stone constructions
    * Hunting/tracking animals
          [...]
    [...]
    * Growing crops
          o Ability to till tile (faster with tool)
          o Ability to plant seeds
          o Ability to pass time quickly (unlike current sleep command)
          o Ability to harvest plants
          o Ability to make a quern from a boulder
          o Ability to grind grindable plants (designating any proper container for products)
          o Ability to cook and appropriate tools for this
    * Raising livestock
          o Farms associated to entity population sprawl
          o Ability to buy a livestock animal and lead it around
          o Keep track of your animals as with hunted animals so they are not easily and permanently lost
          o Ability to build fences (more than one fence tile per tree used, as opposed to wall)
          o Ability to perform decisive attacks on unsuspecting or heavily injured opponent (a cow being slaughtered, for instance)
          o Tracking livestock breeding/pregnancy information
          o Grazing and drinking for livestock
          o Eggs, chickens and associated objects
    [...]
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 342