Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566621 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3030 on: January 19, 2011, 04:08:04 am »

Traditionally, golems have a parchment placed in their mouth that is the source of their energy. Sometimes, the mage who writes on this parchment the incantations has to pour his own life energy to give life to the golem.
Anyway, in any legend I came across, life were given as a sacrifice to the golem, more often as energy source but sometimes the soul remained untouched (as in Dragon Age : Origins). DF plans to separate soul from body and have things like multiple souls in one body, but I'm not sure if Toady wants souls to be seen as little more than magic charcoal.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24:11 am »

...but I'm not sure if Toady wants souls to be seen as little more than magic charcoal.
:lol:
if i'd be into puting quotes in my sig...

There is a whole thread on the subject though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3032 on: January 19, 2011, 05:00:56 am »

Traditionally, golems have a parchment placed in their mouth that is the source of their energy.

We can engrave slab with name of dwarf that has some strange ability to affects its soul like putting his ghost to rest.

I'd say it could be fine soul storage for golems ... Imagine ripping your graveyard apart to make army of golems with souls of your long-dead warriors.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 19, 2011, 05:11:26 am »

Golems are suggestion territory. But as for the original Myth there is a fragmented text from 12th century as commentary to  the "Book of Creation" - which is a text of he kabbala. Said Commentary mentions the 10  Sepirot and the 22 Letters of the Hebraic Alphabet in combination with a ritual to create life.

The most known legend is the Myth of Judah Löw a Rabi from Prague which lived in the 16th century so outside dfs timeframe. Actually Löw is just one of many Rabis that get associated with Golem(s) but because he was the adviser of emperor Rudolf the 2nd (which in turn was very interested in alchemy) he became the most known.

The criation of this particular Golem needed the representation of the 4 Classical Elements. The Golem itself represented earth while Judah considered himself the Wind element and his son in Law and his apprentice represented Fire and Water respectively.

The ritual was held in a clay-pit near Prague and started with the creation of the golems body. After that the apprentice circled the Golem 7 times while reciting a incantation uppon which the Golem glowed as if it was fired. Then the Son in law circled the Golem and did an incantation upon which the Golem took Human form (Hair and nail growing etc.). The Rabi circled the golem 7 times and after that all three, the Rabi his Son and the apprentice, standing at the Feet of the Golem Spoke an the sentence from the genesis where "god" gave adam his breath. As this was done the Golem came to life and followed easy commands like "Stand up".

For more complex behaviours the golem needed, depending on the variants of the myths, either a paper with Gods name under his tongue (which had to be removed each Sabbat) or a Seal with the hebraic word for Truth which could be deactivated by removing the first letter which lead the word to spell "Dead" instead. Today an educated person would use "import soul" instead.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: January 19, 2011, 05:30:58 am »

Today an educated person would use "import soul" instead.

"mport soul"
not the same dramatic narrative effect as in truth->death

wouldn't make legends as tasteful.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3035 on: January 19, 2011, 05:50:49 am »

Today an educated person would use "import soul" instead.

"mport soul"
not the same dramatic narrative effect as in truth->death

wouldn't make legends as tasteful.
Though, just creating a full grown person out of literally nowhere is how it goes. Though the import soul could work if a world feature was added (Dimensional rift inside the ruins of somewhere?) which, upon activating, would export a 'person' file, that could moved to another world folder and be loaded and played as you would play as a retired adventurer, except located in a random place on the world, preferably land.
Traveling through dimensions anyone?...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 19, 2011, 06:23:48 am »

Hehe werent a multiverse with different interconnected Df-worlds a idea of toady himself?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3037 on: January 19, 2011, 06:28:09 am »

Hehe werent a multiverse with different interconnected Df-worlds a idea of toady himself?
Was it?
Still, it would be badass if your person traveled to different dimensions, maybe even giving them local raws so that they can end up going to a world that only pokemon or something exist in, without getting a 404 on their existence.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: January 19, 2011, 08:30:06 am »

The most known legend is the Myth of Judah Löw a Rabi from Prague which lived in the 16th century so outside dfs timeframe. Actually Löw is just one of many Rabis that get associated with Golem(s) but because he was the adviser of emperor Rudolf the 2nd (which in turn was very interested in alchemy) he became the most known.

We're talking about imaginary magical creations as if they conceivably fall on some continuum of technological progress??? So vampires are also not acceptable because their modern depictions originated in the 19th century?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3039 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:04 am »

We're talking about imaginary magical creations as if they conceivably fall on some continuum of technological progress??? So vampires are also not acceptable because their modern depictions originated in the 19th century?
Well, if that's the case, I want my zombie!vampires.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: January 19, 2011, 09:03:43 am »

there is already a thread of absurd length and detail which debates exactly that.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

That was just a small "take that" on my own (and many others) Habit to discard any Tech later then  14th. Century ;) You dont have to take everything i write to serious. 

Back to topic please.

Have all ceramics to be fired or can very basic things like low quality bricks be left in the sun to dry?

In dryer regions (deserts, prairie etc.) this works reasonable well and you can do that in places like Europe in summer. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:48:47 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

Was it?
Still, it would be badass if your person traveled to different dimensions, maybe even giving them local raws so that they can end up going to a world that only pokemon or something exist in, without getting a 404 on their existence.

Yeah, yeah I think it was Toady's idea. At least for the original Slaves to Armok. I think he had mentioned that in the desired feature list for that game but either way multiverse sounds like a great idea. Once we get worlds that are truly different (a war-ravaged world rather than a peaceful island world) it'll be more interesting.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3043 on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:06 am »

Was it?

Yeah, yeah I think it was Toady's idea. At least for the original Slaves to Armok. I think he had mentioned that in the desired feature list for that game but either way multiverse sounds like a great idea. Once we get worlds that are truly different (a war-ravaged world rather than a peaceful island world) it'll be more interesting.
The main differences in worlds can be determined by mods, which does make much sense because they are all alternate worlds.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3044 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:50 am »

DF's equivalent of teleporting someone's heart three feet to the left will be briefly teleporting them to the dimension where the air is full of 20,000 degree syndrome-laiden toxins that cause the victim to hallucinate, vomit, and melt all at once, generally fatally.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 342