Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day 13: Unlucky For Some - SCUM B TEAM WIN  (Read 102124 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day 13: Unlucky For Some - SCUM B TEAM WIN
« Reply #1035 on: March 17, 2015, 06:41:24 pm »

time for a 4maskwolf breakdown of powers and autos and flaws: what should stay, what should go?

In my opinion, the following powers need to be removed or revised:

Inflate: needs to go.  It doesn't actually serve the purpose it was intended for and is simply a way to cheese the system.
Deflate: Also needs to go.
Chat: needs to go, as it is useless and contributes to power bloat
Gossip: needs to go, it is only useful as a part of incredibly convoluted scum schemes with low-yield and serves as part of the game's power-bloat
Autoblock: needs to either have a counter or be removed
Mixed blessings: effectively gives someone points/occasionally useful power in exchange for a variable amount of flaws.  Should probably go.
Santa: needs to go, is contributing to the power creep of the game.
Hypnotize: can currently be used to cheese the one-kill limit, needs to go as revised copycat is stronger.
Workout: is entirely pointless.  needs to go, contributing to power bloat.
Raise zombie: really not worth including in the game, contributing to power bloat, it and the necromancer should probably go.
Changeling: eeeeeeeehhhhhh... this should probably go.  It's no fun to be saddled with a useless role, and since my power cutting removes basically all of the power-level-inflation stuff a useless role is forever if the changeling is enough of a dick.
Vote steal: double voter is powerful enough, this should go.
Booby-trap, grand-swap, and pardon: should all go, they are either fairly useless or blatantly overpowered or just a pain in the ass and not worth it.

Flexible: should go.  This is a major contributor to the game's problems: gaining powers in any way makes it too easy to sell those powers for massive amounts of points.
Unstoppable: needs to lose that "protected against" clause, as it currently makes protect actions worthless, since with the current point level every self-respecting killer will take unstoppable.
Death-resistant: should probably go, leaving just resurrection and immune as defensive (see below about ghostly)
Networker: contributes to the power-creep, needs to go.
Ghostly: would only ever be used by scum and just wastes everyone's time, needs to go.

Also, my rules suggestion about actions:

All actions are processed in 24-hour blocks.  Once the day starts, the first actions are resolved at the 24 hour mark, and all actions sent in by that time are resolved in an order determined by a resolution chart, and every 24 hours after that actions are once again resolved.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:43:20 pm by 4maskwolf »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 17, 2015, 06:54:01 pm »

As a possible alternative to vote steal: how about a power where, instead of stealing a vote, you merely remove it instead? So if player A uses it on player B, B has no votes and A still has one. It also prevents someone from solo hammering.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 17, 2015, 06:59:46 pm »

I don't hate anyone. I'm merely disappointed in Flabort. He has fallen to the dark side.
*stops munching on cookies for a second*
Vader was redeemed in the end, wasn't he?
*continues munching*

As far as autoblock:changeling, it really was my kryptonite, but already knowing who everyone was I could have reversed it with the role I received. Maybe.
Also, I kept recalling autoblock.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 17, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »

As a possible alternative to vote steal: how about a power where, instead of stealing a vote, you merely remove it instead? So if player A uses it on player B, B has no votes and A still has one. It also prevents someone from solo hammering.

Isn't this how blackmail works, except less effective?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 17, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »

4mask
Yeah, those are mostly pretty reasonable suggestions. The next version of the game I think should have the following features:

- Make kills easier to perform and more likely to succeed (encouraging redirection rather than blockage)
- Ensure player's point-values remain more equal throughout (remove powers that vastly increase power difference between players
- Keep the rule-set as simple as possible (no fiddly exceptions)
- Make sure the workload isn't as heavy (e.g. no powers that force the mod to PM everyone)

Flabort
Innate-Autoblock+Changeling would have been your kryponite.

Deathsword
Yeah that's what Blackmail did.

This game might have turned out differently if the serial killer had been more interested in killing. Hector could have thrown Infects and kills without limit.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 17, 2015, 07:13:17 pm »

I just realised that you guys broke my perfect win record as well. A pox on the pair of ye. Personally, I think that the hammer mechanic kind of shut down the game towards the end. I'm not sure that forcing each day to its full length would have been any better, though.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 17, 2015, 07:14:11 pm »

Deathsword
Yeah that's what Blackmail did.
Nevermind then. I scanned the list for anything like that, but it seems I missed it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 17, 2015, 07:14:42 pm »

My get-lynched-day-1-regardless-of-alignment streak also broke, but I'm not complaining. :P
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 17, 2015, 07:15:24 pm »

Well that game was amazing.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 17, 2015, 07:18:56 pm »

So, was I acting scummy when being lynched, or was I just pinned by the scum? Because 3 of the 4 voting for me were scum...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 17, 2015, 07:20:58 pm »

I just realized that it would be fun to play an automated version of CYOM (think Town of Salem).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »

I just realized that it would be fun to play an automated version of CYOM (think Town of Salem).
That would be hilarious...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 17, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »

hhhheeeeeyyy! I'm back!

One suggestion about the hammer problem: Make each player only count once for the hammer. even if they have doublevoter, they only count once towards the hammer, but twice towards the final vote count. That way, the majority of the people have to vote for a hammer.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 17, 2015, 07:31:19 pm »

That's kind of the project I was working on last year but it's sort of dormant for the time being while I work on paying stuff.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 17, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »

9:21pm.
GMT +8.

It's kinda funny how long it took for you all to figure it out, really.  If you'd worked together you could have actually stopped us, but I doubt Tiruin has the power to fight us both to a standstill.
Oh wow.
NQT, YOU HAD FLABORT AND 4MASK AS A SCUMTEAM!?

...This was the cheapest game I've seen :/ That was just WASTING TIME since D12

I couldn't even be online for a bloody day because of stupid timezones!
>_>
This loss, instead of feeling like an actual defeat, felt like a total disappointment. A hollow disappointment.
The scumteam didn't even play well. It was less 'wordplay and intellectual prowess' and more mechanic cheese. -_-

Also on the power editing, on Inflate, the most basic way to get rid of its cheesiness is to just redact any kind of 'bonus' from SELLING INFLATED POWERS because it doesn't make sense to even do such! :-\ I had thought that the same ideology would've held before, but...playing on unspoken mechanics in between the lines? Seriously?

Ugh. Just...felt so cheap. Makes it feel a ton worse because scumteam B had an incredible ego to flaunt.
And to actually expound: This game was timezone-biased. (Generally speaking)
"Hey look'it the person on the other side of the world, pretty much far ahead than the European areas! Guess when their actions will be computed unless they were sent in advance..." :/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:29:25 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74