Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 28106 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread: Current Topic: Which is better? TOS or TNG
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

I'm not denying that Enterprise is a very, very flawed series.  But terrible is an overreaction; it's no worse than Voyager and yet that show is treated better in spite of its quite substantial flaws as well.

Probably because Voyager actually used its premise and had a character driven plot more about the characters and their interaction with eachother.

While Enterprise had an episode where Hoshi turns out to be an elite super hacker because "Math is just another language".

The only character who had any major growth in the show was The Doctor; everyone else was simply forgotten (or erratic like Janeway).  And yes, stupid resolutions happen all the time in Star Trek.  Hell, one DS9 episode had friggin' Rumpelstiltskin in it and the solution to the problem was to simply stop believing the rift that was devouring the station wasn't there.  And how many times did Voyager press the reset button and return to status quo?  Ten times per season?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 02:35:41 pm »

Voyager was fucking atrocious. I remember watching it in college with some dorm buddies. We didn't even make it through the first season before deciding that we'd rather do homework than watch that trainwreck.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »

Voyager's season 4 was quite good, admittedly.

Also, has anyone actually ever seen the Animated Series?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »

I've seen the animated series. They had forcefield belts and for the life of me I wonder where they went, since the animated series happened canonically to my knowledge.

The difference however is that Voyager had good episodes and Enterprise had no single good episode ever.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »

Okay so I decided on my favorite TNG episode:

Any episode with the Romulans :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:10:24 pm »

Okay so I decided on my favorite TNG episode:

Any episode with the Romulans :P

Even the one where they meet spock? because that was just a train wreck that went NO WHERE!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »

I just listed three good Enterprise episodes up above.  The three-parter concerning the Vulcans in Season 4 was also very good; as was the augment three-parter, the Klingon S4 two-parter, and the first Romulan episode.  "Twilight" was also a great Season 3 episode, which had some good ones throughout the season.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »

I've seen the animated series. They had forcefield belts and for the life of me I wonder where they went, since the animated series happened canonically to my knowledge.

The difference however is that Voyager had good episodes and Enterprise had no single good episode ever.
Voyager's good episodes were all in the first six or so, when it still had that "new series smell" to it. Shit went sour wid a quickness after that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »

It is usually what people confuse when they say "Only the doctor had character development".

No everyone had their fair share of character development... but it all occured REALLY early in the series.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »

Voyager was fucking atrocious. I remember watching it in college with some dorm buddies. We didn't even make it through the first season before deciding that we'd rather do homework than watch that trainwreck.
Man, I was scrolling through the whole thread wondering if I was going to have to be the first person to say this. Voyager was godawful. I know because sometimes I watched it when I was supposed to be doing homework. Every time I'd look up from my homework thinking, "Ugh this is awful, I'll watch TV" I looked back down a few minutes later thinking "Ugh this is awful, I'll do homework."
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »

Oddly enough while I cannot think of a strong best episode of Voyager

it is EASY to come up with the absolute WORST episode of Voyager which is so bad it honestly could contend as the worst episode in the entire series.

The episode where Tom Paris goes faster then Warp 10 (or 13 or whatever). Flat out one of, if not the, worst episode in all of Startrek.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »

Not Scorpion, Year of Hell, or Message in a Bottle?  Those are commonly considered some of the best of Voyager.

And yes, "Threshold" was so bad the writer of the episode himself wished it stricken from canon.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »

Voyager: Remember how cool and surprising time travel is? Wouldn't it be super cool and surprising if it happened in every episode?!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

I also say that Enterprise gets more crap than it deserves; it was just starting to get good when it was cancelled.

Want to know why Enterprise is terrible?  Here is around 80 reasons why it's terrible.  80 reasons as in around 80 reviews of the episodes.

It shouldn't take a show that long to get good, honestly.

I tend to determine myself whether I enjoy a series, thanks.  I don't need others to tell me whether an episode is good or not.  Believe it or not, subjectivity is a thing.

I'm not denying that Enterprise is a very, very flawed series.  But terrible is an overreaction; it's no worse than Voyager and yet that show is treated better in spite of its quite substantial flaws as well.

Well that was weird. You make an assertion about the quality of the show, Euld disagrees, you decide that he has no right to make assertions about the quality of a show (or you think he’s telling you that you don’t enjoy it, which is equally baffling), then you turn around an make an assertion about the quality of the show. You even partially agree with him at the end.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »

Let's just say I have a terrible case of foot-in-mouth syndrome and move on.  Sorry, Euld.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:50:52 pm by Jervill »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26