Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 28333 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread: Current Topic: Which is better? TOS or TNG
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:58 am »

I picked DS9 as my favorite, but without a doubt, TNG > TOS, and without TNG then Star Trek never would have become the sci-fi juggernaut it has become today, inspiring technology that has changed our world forever.  As a writer I find DS9 intriguing because of the spirituality, the limitations of just having a station to work with, and how it went from a humble beginning of just helping out the backwater world of Bajor to being the pivotal location of an interstellar war.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:23 am »

If there is one thing that I really don't like about Deep Space 9 it is that they will flip flop on their characterisation a LOT!

It is really annoying when villains become pure evil and others become good again.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:18 am »

Also, Euld, that scene you took your avatar from ia hilarious! One of my  favorite Voyager moments.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:06:53 am »

I love TNG for Picard and the scientific/exploratory shenaningans, whilst I love DS9 for something between CSI series (all the sabotaging!) and warfare drama, not to mention spies and diplomacy galore.

Also, from TNG, please don't judge me, I liked Deanna quite a bit, right behind Picard, Data and Worf. That bit grew larger after 'Face of the Enemy' episode. Damn, if only she acted as a spy more often :v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:07 am »

Yeah, she was HOT, romulan or not.

Rhyme
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:27 am »

Unfortunately, my praise of TNG doesn't extend over movies - Kirk had better movies, especially Wrath of Khan :P

Well okay, TNG: First Contact wasn't a bad film at all.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:43 am »

The weirdest episode of TNG in terms of the "What were they thinking?" was the one where this guy makes a holodeck program where everyone on the ship are given these roles only there to boost the ego of the person playing it.

Not because the simulation is weird but because EVERYONE seriously overreacts to it. Even the characters who shouldn't overreact to it, overreact to it. Especially since they are the ones intruding on his private program (The equivilant of reading someone's diary and getting mad at them because it painted them in only superficial strokes)

Hey Deanna why are you angry? You are a psychologist, SURELY you can unravel why everyone has the roles that they do. Clearly anyone who is slightly antagonistic towards him, either socially or professionally, is given a role where they are inferior to him and anyone who is in a supportive role just has a exagerated version of that role filtered through archtypes that are more about your surface details. I've seen psychologists ASK their patients to create exactly that.

---

The Weirdest of the original series was the one where they had a creature who fed on salt.

Never EVER does it cross their mind that MAYBE the creature isn't evil or mindless and that the only reason it is attacking them and the crew is because they are introducing something to the environment that was controlled by scarcity and thus it couldn't control itself in the same way some animals will eat themselves to death because their food is so scarce that it didn't develop a mechanism to stop eating.

Nope, killing the poor creature takes priority because it is ugly!

Why do I feel like Picard could have resolved that situation better then Kirk?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:24:51 am by Neonivek »

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:32 am »

TNG is best for me as well.  Of course, I'm currently going through a re-watch of DS9 episodes (just finished S2E5 "Cardassians") after completing my TNG binge a bit ago.  I also say that Enterprise gets more crap than it deserves; it was just starting to get good when it was cancelled.
Personal Opinion:
TNG>DS9>TOS>ENT>VOY

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:11 am »

TNG is better, but I wish it hadn't relied so much on Picard being a total BAMF.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:04:14 am »

Here to push the conclusion that TNG is better.
Though me and a friend both agree that Enterprise is probably the best Star Trek. It just doesn't feel as super high tech and easy to solve issues.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 11:44:13 am »

Want to know why Enterprise is terrible?  Here is around 80 reasons why it's terrible.  80 reasons as in around 80 reviews of the episodes.

It shouldn't take a show that long to get good, honestly.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 12:23:41 pm »

I tend to determine myself whether I enjoy a series, thanks.  I don't need others to tell me whether an episode is good or not.  Believe it or not, subjectivity is a thing.

I'm not denying that Enterprise is a very, very flawed series.  But terrible is an overreaction; it's no worse than Voyager and yet that show is treated better in spite of its quite substantial flaws as well.

EDIT: Moving on from that: Favorite episode from each series, anyone?
TOS: "Space Seed"<-Khan is just spectacular here.
TNG: "All Good Things..."<-Perfect way to end the series; serves as a great showcase of the show through its run
DS9: "Trials & Tribulations"<-Pure non-sexual fanservice for Star Trek fans; I can't help but love it.
VOY: "Year of Hell I & II"<-Was early enough in the run that the reset button was decently fresh, and was executed well
ENT: "Babel One/United/The Aenar"<-Enough establishment of early relations prior to Federation that I liked it; cleverly getting around not showing Romulans also helped.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:31:27 pm by Jervill »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »

I'm not denying that Enterprise is a very, very flawed series.  But terrible is an overreaction; it's no worse than Voyager and yet that show is treated better in spite of its quite substantial flaws as well.

Probably because Voyager actually used its premise and had a character driven plot more about the characters and their interaction with eachother.

While Enterprise had an episode where Hoshi turns out to be an elite super hacker because "Math is just another language".

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »

For best episodes...

TOS: "Balance of Terror"
TNG: Well it's damn tough pick. I would have to list them :P
DS9: "The Duet", the acting of that Cardassian guy was simply brilliant.

Have yet to see VOY and ENT series :P

Okay then: Three best movies?

1. Wrath of the Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. The First Contact
SigFlags!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »

Ehh Voyager has good episodes. Though I don't know what I'd consider to be the BEST episode.

I mean there is the one where they build a utopian society...

But I am going to have to go with the episode where they discover a holodeck program about when the Maqui take over Voyager. It had soo much untapped potential.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26