Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 74195 times)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2013, 04:00:46 am »

As an additional fun challenge, I propose digging out a room and assigning it to the expedition leader. The value of the room must then increase by a certain amount now and again.

Not sure there is really any point to this additional stipulation.  At most thats just  bit of extra micromanagement after you've stabalized the initial situation.  Till you breach the aquifer theres often no way to even make a room to begin with and once you have its still somewhat difficult to keep all 7 dwarves gainfuly employed full time, particularly if you managed to save a migrant wave.   could just start slaping anything out of the masons shop down in that room any chance you get.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2013, 04:39:04 am »

As an additional fun challenge, I propose digging out a room and assigning it to the expedition leader. The value of the room must then increase by a certain amount now and again.

In a word... why?

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:20 am »

In a word... why?
Attract strong things to the fort* + an extra difficult thing to keep track of on top of everything else.

*At least that's how I think it works. Still learning the ropes of the game.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:30 am »

In a word... why?
Attract strong things to the fort* + an extra difficult thing to keep track of on top of everything else.

*At least that's how I think it works. Still learning the ropes of the game.
Notes.

1) The titan attack wealth requirement was removed during world generation. It is one of the parameters you can edit in advanced parameters. Thus the reports of early summer titans attacking the fort.

2) Wealth does affect sieges to some extent, but sieges only begin once you hit population 80. By the time you hit population 80 in such an environment, you are likely going to be well past any sort of wealth barrier to sieges, due to the fact that it is hard to get your population up when the overworld is a crawling zombie horde.

3) Rooms are not the major driver of wealth. Artifacts, metals, cooking and clothing are.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2013, 02:47:03 pm »

by the way edge you still got the world_gen.txt entry for that particular world?  Just got myself an updated (and clean) copy of the LNP cause I was geting some weird glitches and would prefer to regen that world off the base raws.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2013, 04:27:39 pm »

Here are the world gen settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't have the seed used to generate that map.  Good luck!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2013, 04:48:12 pm »

Till you breach the aquifer theres often no way to even make a room to begin with and once you have its still somewhat difficult to keep all 7 dwarves gainfuly employed full time, particularly if you managed to save a migrant wave.   could just start slaping anything out of the masons shop down in that room any chance you get.

I have a problem getting my dwarves to idle, not work.  I actually had to take some off duty for a bit just so they'd get themselves married.

Update: Part 4 is compiling in Pinnacle. I'm using a more detailed format so it's taking forever, probably a few hours.  If you've got the cash (and you get a 30 day free trial to make sure you'd like it) I truly believe this program is worth getting.  It blows the doors off of Windows Movie Maker.

It's got some sound issues because I suck with the equalizer and everything I did was making it worse so I went back to the source, and just used speed controls because it got all sorts of fubar'd for about 10 minutes (of 40), but it's not bad.  Anything that was miserable I re-recorded.  Trying to keep everything in line in the gameplay gets... interesting.

I'll leave it up to you guys to tell me if I need to re-record the other portions, which can be done as I don't typically destroy the source for a while.

I'll give you the status of the fort when I post the movie. :)  It's alive, though, no critical mass failures yet.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2013, 04:49:19 pm »

Part One of my fort is up. Goes from embark to discovery of the cavern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKeNnZ9wnM

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2013, 05:21:11 pm »

I have a problem getting my dwarves to idle, not work.  I actually had to take some off duty for a bit just so they'd get themselves married.
Once you've got access to stone sure, but that normaly implys that you've at least partialy breached the aquifer.  Till you manage to get under the aquifer most of your dwarves asside from the miner spend all their time with their thumbs up their hairy arses.

Thanks for the worldgen edge.  Even without the seed it should generate at least a similar world.  I'm not a wizz with advanced world gen so I kept geting really small evil bioms and rarely in the frozen regions.   Last one I had a go at wasnt even reanimating although it had this nasty bitter ooze rain that carried a syndrome that had an effect on my dwarves very similar to what feeding them rat poison would do.  Every body part got progressively more bruised till they eventualy died.  Considering I had to open pit mine to breach a 5 layer aquifer I only had 2 dwarves left by the time I got through it, ended up just abandoning that one as a lost cause.  Couple other test embarks in different areas

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:38 pm »

Looks like a good start.  Nice cavern find, that's sweet.  You're probably going to want to wall up the lake edge though.  Cave crocodiles are absolutely brutal to unarmored dwarves and they're a cavern 1 critter.  As are giant olms.

Also, I now understand what you meant with the ice drilling.  Neat trick, bringing the second layer down right under the first.  I need to remember that.  Also nice cavern sounding system.  Hadn't known about that exploit.

A couple of tricks:  Instead of ramping to the surface, dig upstairs on the lower level and then channel the upper level.  Produces a hole with no ramp for ground creatures and no risk to the miner.

Undead do not need heads to reanimate.  Currently some goblin's hand is running around and I think it's got 7 kills to its name.  I need to go see the kill lists on those undead anyway.

Be really careful of those 'fighting the undead' thoughts.  They ruined IvyLashes.  The only good way to fight the undead is around a corner with a machine doing the work.  Then apply magma.  :)

Beware titans.  They can step down one z level without a ramp and I believe they can destroy open bridges.  I neglected to check if my titan was breaking them when I was running some trap tests.  You may want to go back if you can trap a land creature via channels and floor it over.  I know they can't break that.

Food won't rot in a stockpile, ever, afaik.   Vermin will eat it though.  You don't need those long corridors.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2013, 09:45:26 pm »

Looks like a good start.  Nice cavern find, that's sweet.  You're probably going to want to wall up the lake edge though.  Cave crocodiles are absolutely brutal to unarmored dwarves and they're a cavern 1 critter.  As are giant olms.

Also, I now understand what you meant with the ice drilling.  Neat trick, bringing the second layer down right under the first.  I need to remember that.  Also nice cavern sounding system.  Hadn't known about that exploit.

A couple of tricks:  Instead of ramping to the surface, dig upstairs on the lower level and then channel the upper level.  Produces a hole with no ramp for ground creatures and no risk to the miner.

Undead do not need heads to reanimate.  Currently some goblin's hand is running around and I think it's got 7 kills to its name.  I need to go see the kill lists on those undead anyway.

Be really careful of those 'fighting the undead' thoughts.  They ruined IvyLashes.  The only good way to fight the undead is around a corner with a machine doing the work.  Then apply magma.  :)

Beware titans.  They can step down one z level without a ramp and I believe they can destroy open bridges.  I neglected to check if my titan was breaking them when I was running some trap tests.  You may want to go back if you can trap a land creature via channels and floor it over.  I know they can't break that.

Food won't rot in a stockpile, ever, afaik.   Vermin will eat it though.  You don't need those long corridors.
I fear not cave crocodiles nor titans nor unhappy thoughts. I am dwarf, and I now have stone.

On reanimating decapitated horse's hair: I think it has something to do with the [GRASP] tag. Heads and hands and such because they have grasp. Once the hair body is separated from the hair head, the body loses the grasp tag. Maybe head hair can reanimate?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:08 am »

Intresting trick with the farm plot edge.   Sadly my most recent fort landed in a non reanimating biom so I'll probably abandon and try agian.  There is some rather deadly smoke that drifts through from time to time, keeps killing off the wildlife but otherwise realitively tame evil biom.  this chalange looses so much without the dead rising from the grave to torment you.

Jarnis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2013, 02:42:39 am »

480p?

Or is Youtube just being stupid and higher res videos are still encoding?

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2013, 11:37:44 am »

480p?

Or is Youtube just being stupid and higher res videos are still encoding?
This is my first ever video upload to youtube, and my first time editing video in a movie program. I thought my program made it in 720. I dunno why it is 480.

Jarnis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:16 am »

On a somewhat related note, anyone have experience what will occur if you seal in your starting seven to keep bad things away and migrants arrive, only to encounter !Fun! with zombies and die?

I *guess* I need to dedicate some space for engraving slabs for all of them so they won't turn into ghosts? Even if they never were technically part of my fort?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32