Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119100 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 06:34:10 am »

Lasers are good for taking out the swarms of small things too. The queen you just need to keep moving around to it's side so it can't hit you.

I tend to use energy weapons the most out of anything, drones and energy weapons are lethal.

Unless I play hiver where the heavy ships with lots of slots and ballistic weapons will keep your targets unable to reform. (also hiver don't tend to get most of the energy weapons)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 07:02:01 am »

Von Neumann uses phaser point defense and a unique 'recyclo beam' as I like to call it.  The phaer pd is the most effective pd I've seen, at least it's pretty much made my ships immune to missiles.  However, the "recyclo-beam" will freeze any ship it hits in place and disintegrate it after a short while.  This seems to allow the main vessel to produce more minions, so it's a real pain in the ass.  I've found that the safest way to defend against them is either long range projectile weaponry, or tons and tons of missiles.  If you fire enough of them some eventually get through and you can take them out before they ever get close.

Also, if you think Von Neumann and Silicoids are bad you have yet to see true horror.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:11:58 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 07:49:19 am »

Also, if you think Von Neumann and Silicoids are bad you have yes to see true horror.

Some of those true horrors are on the level of Fun :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:56:36 am »

Are there any mods for this game?

The strategical view is -horrible-. I could use a mod that made ships show up better, as in where they are and where they are ago. As of now, if you play on a huge starmap, it's really hard to see where your ships are. I also hate the fleets tab, very uninformative.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »

I can usually chase the von neuman off pretty easy, but I've yet to destroy one. I rarely lose more than one ship to them. (Although occasionally it's a cruiser, so that can hurt.) Only real problem I had was when I accidentally set my tanker fleet as the main fleet one one planet. They didn't stand a chance, just kept dying until finally the warships got into the rotation.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:46 pm »

Oh.My.God. I started playing as the Zuul and they're awesome, but I've encountered things...things you don't want to encounter when playing.
 I swear, I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do against these guys, they ravage my planets (I don't mind, I'm doing the same thing to my own planets as well) but when a frick'n peacekeeper is prohibiting me from building an army while all kinds of HFS are coming towards me, I know that the universe doesn't like me :) Still, I prefer the HFS instead of that peacekeeper, I think he's the equivalent of Chuck Norris in space.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »

Can you buy the expantions retail? I would love to get them, I mean corrosive missiles, and silicon queens? Much better than boring old ships that can launch asteroids.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

Are there any mods for this game?
Yes.

The strategical view is -horrible-. I could use a mod that made ships show up better, as in where they are and where they are ago.
I don't know of any that do that. I'm not sure that's even possible to mod normally.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:21:53 pm »

Can you buy the expantions retail? I would love to get them, I mean corrosive missiles, and silicon queens? Much better than boring old ships that can launch asteroids.

You could always try ebay, I never had problems using that.
I bought the game from Gamersgate.com, works like a charm :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:30 pm »

The strategical view is -horrible-. I could use a mod that made ships show up better, as in where they are and where they are ago. As of now, if you play on a huge starmap, it's really hard to see where your ships are. I also hate the fleets tab, very uninformative.

Are you sure you haven't just lacked the appropriate research?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 07:03:59 pm »

Nope. If you zoom back the ship icons practically disappear. I do see the lines but when you have 200 stars in a 3d map it's hard to tell if they're going or coming without having to center the map and zoom in... Then you have 20+ fleets that gets really annoying...

(ps. In my other post, ago = going... It was late and my brain broke for a second)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 02:47:47 pm »

We should get a multiplayer match going sometime, that would be awesome :)

ps: I am the suckzors @ this game

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »

We should get a multiplayer match going sometime, that would be awesome :)

ps: I am the suckzors @ this game

Agreed with the multiplayer.  I played this game way back before the expansions came out, but my computer could barely run it at the time.  Once I got a new computer I got the full all expansions pack and played it even more.  I even managed to take out a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
once. Now that was fierce fighting. took 7 turns of fighting with the majority of my navy with nearly max tech.

Anyway, I usually play Tarka since I'm most familiar with their ship styles.  But I've been playing Morrigi a bit recently.  And think I got them down fairly well too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:13 pm »

Ah man, I just noticed Gamersgate ripped me off :( They had an ultimate edition for 29.99 and a complete edition for 29.99. I bought the ultimate edition...that one's without the newest expansion :'(

Damn it, same thing happened to me before with The Guilds II lol

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »

Eh, I tried it, but I think I just don't go well with space colonization games. I liked the races and their advantages and such, but who doesn't want to play as telekinetic space dolphins? It's better than GalCiv and Aurora, though, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55