Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I generate a world with tall waterfalls and lots of tropical biomes?  (Read 1312 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile

I want a dramatic fortress that has a super tall(25 - 50 z level) cliff/waterfall for the entrance. The highest one I could find was a 3 level high one. And it takes so long to find an ideal tropical shrubland. Could someone show me the right generation parameters, to generate such a world? I am not very good with advanced world generation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:19:01 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile

Shrubland is 53 to 65 rain and 33 to 100 drain.
Tropical biomes need to be perpetually Warm, at least, likely Hot/Scorching from the embark screen, which means 85+ in temperature. 
Latitude and elevation both play a part in determining biomes, so if you have/need/want n/s/any poles in your world, keep that in mind.
Perfectly vertical cliffs are only created (to the best of my knowledge) at the intersection of two rivers.

Also, some people accept or define "cliff" as simply an elevation drop or slope, rather than a perfectly vertical sheer cliff face with no ramps of any kind.  Some don't. :)
Searching this thread ( in particular, for waterfalls ) may offer further insight.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"cliffs" are a pain to get to happen naturally. A much more reasonable plan is to find a world with a nice tropical shrubland, disable erosion during worldgen and use Biome Manipulator to create a nice big slope and waterfall.

You'll need to manipulate the embark elevation and river elevation to match for the waterfall, but the tool makes it possible without hand-written lua.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might want to use DFHack’s Embark Assistant.  Cliffs can be found near waterfalls (which you can search for with embark assistant).  As for warm biomes, embark assistant also lets you search by biome as well.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tropical shrubland, hmmm? That should be fairly uncommon without fudging with generation values, so you might start there.

As far as the tall waterfall goes, I can help you greatly. There are a few different methods.

One, is to download Isoworld 2.1 and use that to search your world for tall cliffs. it can be a pain to correlate what you find with the in-game browser, however, so I prefer this second method.

Simply put, find the largest river you can and follow it with the in-game elevation difference viewer. This will clearly define cliffs of large or gigantic nature, since you can easily see the contrast between the grey or light blue clifftops and the dark blue valleys. Look for places where this river meets smaller streams, and there you will find almost countless number of interesting embarks.

In your case, getting that large river to travel through something other than wetland or swamp will be difficult.