Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have an idea, probably not original...  (Read 1191 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have an idea, probably not original...
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:50:24 am »

But I do not know anything about modding (yet) so I want to know if it is posible to create a creature that eats useless stone types?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have an idea, probably not original...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:00 am »

It depends on how you want to go about it. If you want them to eat the stone directly, then I don't believe that's possible without making it possible for everyone to eat said stone. Alternatively, you could make it so that the race you want to eat the stone can use a custom reaction that turns it into an edible product - I'm pretty sure I saw that someone had an old adventure mode reaction that turned any item into meat, allowing him to stave off hunger by converting random items into food (insert joke about "Sword Meat" here).
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:58:04 am »

Fortress Defense Mod has a workshop reaction that "eats" useless stone by turning it into a gas.

The problem is that all reactions in fortress mode require a workshop. An adventurer can easily transmute rocks to muffins or a gas all by itself but a custom fortress creature cannot. The rock to muffin reaction would need to take place in a workshop.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:32:20 am »

Ok well that wouldn't really be what i had in mind. I figure a free roaming animal could nibble away and make lugging them around a non issue, with a workshop i'd still have to carry them around.

Thanks guys!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:28:31 pm »

What you want is possible.

Edible_vermin tag is what you want, and a vermin that eats food and has a high pop ratio. Your cats would kill it though. But they should be able to eat it, and no one else, so no free food for dwarves.

Take note that I never tested this, so good luck testing it.

Add [EDIBLE_VERMIN] to all inorganic materials you want to be eaten.
Add [VERMIN_GROUNDER][VERMIN_EATER][PENETRATEPOWER:99][FREQUENCY:50] to your creatures you want to be able to eat stone. Must be a vermin though.

Please report your findings, I think the idea is very interesting
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:30:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »

Just add those tags to a specific creature and it will work?

A specific vermin only? So rats, not dogs. Or could i make cavys vermin, tame them let them do it?

Lastly, no need to generate new world after making these changes?

Will be glad to add !!science!! Knowledge

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

Add [VERMIN_GROUNDER][VERMIN_EATER][PENETRATEPOWER:99][FREQUENCY:50] to your creatures you want to be able to eat stone. Must be a vermin though.

this sounds like it would work, but wouldn't those vermin also eat your food? With such a huge penetratepower they'd rip through your barrels like they were made of paper... solution to that is to edit all the [EDIBLE_VERMIN] tags out of plant_standard.txt, I suppose. That'll protect your plants from vermin altogether.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:37:11 pm »

[VERMIN_GROUNDER][VERMIN_EATER][PENETRATEPOWER:99][FREQUENCY:50]
[PENETRATEPOWER:99]

:o

"Hello Dwarves that's a very nice everything you have there..."

(For reference most of the time it's only one or two.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:36:44 pm »

Yeah, skip the penetrate power.

The more important question is: If granite is an vermin-edible material, will they also eat your granite-tables, chairs, doors and slabs ? I would assume they eat the stored ones, but not the constructed ones.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::