Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which New Faction Idea Interests You

Far East (Heavy Melee Focus)
- 4 (14.3%)
Reinhart (Genetic Mods and Babysnatching)
- 7 (25%)
Government Remnants (High Tech Russian Aesthetic)
- 11 (39.3%)
Focus on Current Factions
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ***CORROSION*** (v2.14a) (DF 44.02) <<More Than Zombies>>  (Read 28337 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
***CORROSION*** (v2.14a) (DF 44.02) <<More Than Zombies>>
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:13:41 pm »

WELCOME TO CORROSION
v2

PLEASE LOOK AT THE SUPPLEMENTAL FILES ON DOWNLOADING
THEY CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION

YEAR 0

The sickness spread from person to person more quickly than one could imagine. What started as seemingly another benign outbreak spread by saliva, quickly metastasized into Humanity's final gasp. One by one, vaccines were developed, and just when it appeared to work the disease adapted. Humanity was shattered and cast to the winds. Generations passed, and humanity finally began to reorganize. Stepping into the ring, they reset the clock back to YEAR 0 and desperately fight for a self-sustaining life against the Infected.

Some people roamed the cities, they became the Scavengers, surviving off the land and what little reusable material they could find.

Some people fled underground, they became the Picks, battling against the beasts of the deep with improved metals.

Others succumbed to the bite, and seek to bring more to the fold.

You must lead one of the remaining groups of humans as best you can in this total conversion of Dwarf Fortress. The Infected are fierce, their numbers infinite, and unwavering in their hunger for human flesh.

Corrosion is one of the oldest running mods for Dwarf Fortress. Besides adding a fearsome foe to face, Corrosion also adds and expands industries to keep your humans busy. Will you become a wicker cartel? Or manufacture more guns than the Germans during WWII? Or perhaps build a pyramid out of plastic. All this is possible.

Brand New Reaction Count : 400 :
Here are some highlights!

# Create advanced melee weapons in the Weapon Workshop using parts forged in the Blacksmith's shop.
# Create advanced guns using a variety of parts from various crafts and shops.
# Encrust metal jewelry with multiple cut gems to increase value at the Advanced Jeweler.
# Create Plastic, a useful and durable material for crafts, synthetic gems, and furniture.
# Create Wicker, for a variety of renewable furniture and crafts.
# Wood is your lifeline. Get the most out of it by milling them into planks at the Millstone,
or splitting them at the Scavenger Yard (scavenger civ only)
# Combine nails and planks to make decorated furniture at the Advanced Carpenter's Shop.
# New Steel industry, very intensive and very rewarding.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

FEATURES

*** Four playable civs. Good and Bad.
*** Infected invade your fort, and turn your people with a bite.
*** Even the smallest sieges and ambushes become desperate struggles.
*** Complete overhaul of Dwarf Fortress for the end times
*** 50% more !!FUN!!
Spoiler: ***Eight new Civs (click to show/hide)
*** Guns and Ammo and plenty of variety therein
*** New Weapons and Armor
*** Useful metals and alloys
*** New Alloys and Minerals.

Spoiler: VITAL PLAYER NOTES (click to show/hide)

Code: [Select]
Drop me a link if you do any let's plays or succession forts with this mod and I will link directly to them.
Known Issues
* Vomit is blue, Blood is maroon. The game appears to mix a couple colors together to get these two colors.
Nothing I can do on my end but tinker with the colors later.
* I have (nails/metal jewelry) but the reaction isn't working. Hard coded issue with bins. Create a new stockpile remove all
bins with 'shift+e' key and delete the old stockpile.
* The 32bit does not have the custom tileset. Still looking into it, it appears that the tileset has to be 8x12, I made
the tileset to be 16x16. The tileset is in the art folder if you want to take a crack at it, otherwise I'm likely going to
be making an 8x12 to accommodate this.

Old Post
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:19:16 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
UPDATE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:14:03 pm »

CHANGELOG FOR THIS
400 custom reactions

///MAJOR///
* New Infected Species

* Can now play as Savages
        * No real reason too tho...
   * Basic framework set up at the moment
   * Not many custom reactions
   * Carnivore civ, only eats meat
   * On the plus side you'll die quicker

Various Bugs and Spelling fixes
   *thanks Demonbutter
   *Thanks redivider

///SIGNIFICANT///
* Advanced Bone Crafting
   * Turns Totems into furniture

///TWEAKS///
* Desert Devils and Savages now use Masks instead of Brodie Helms
* Wicker now has a mat value of 1 (down from 3)
* Wicker now uses proper plant thread.
* Stone Mallets are now made at the Toolbench
* Can now create wood, glass, and bone weapons at Toolbench
   Good as obsidian
* Can create glass cartridges
* Can make Cupronickel cartridges
* Clay brick reaction yields 6 bricks
* Clay Crafts yields two crafts
* Added alloy furnace, all alloys made at alloy furnace

///NEW ARMOR
* A new way to create advance and simple armor
* Armor Forge
* Clay Armor
* New Armor Piece : Armor Plate 66% strength, but much cheaper.
* Can make advanced leggings
* Can make gloves and boots together

///NEW METALS
* War Gold: pick exclusive, gold can be used for combat, same stats.
* Permendur: 1:1 Iron:Cobalt strength of Iron
* FIne Permendur : 2:2:1 Iron:Cobalt:Vanadium Strength of Fine Iron

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:34:38 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ***CORROSION*** (v2) (DF 43.05)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:56:09 pm »

Post to watch.

May give this a spin tonight, though I'm not a fan of contrivances to prevent building (as well as deny access to building materials.) - Aquifers being everywhere but mountains is a bit nonsensical, but understandable, if wood can be relied upon in its place.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »

Post to watch.

May give this a spin tonight, though I'm not a fan of contrivances to prevent building (as well as deny access to building materials.) - Aquifers being everywhere but mountains is a bit nonsensical, but understandable, if wood can be relied upon in its place.

Thanks for the interest :) and I'm always happy to respond to criticism and suggestions so please get back to me after you have a chance to play around with it. And you seem interested to know about the actual mechanics enough so I will go in depth.

To start the previous versions of corrosion only had deadly stone and safe ore. The latest version also has a layer of deadly stone as well that spawns intermittently. The problem with deadly stone is that it works by dropping a rock that boils at room temperature and releases poisonous gas. This denies building materials by nature. I didn't like this either :P Hence in the update I tried experimenting with aquifers. They are still avoidable, to a certain extent and it makes areas like mountains and frozen biomes more appealing. The big "advantage" of aquifers is that it takes about a year to get through, meaning you have to build an above ground fortification of some kind.

As far as your suggested civs you pretty much outlined the "Desert Devils" and "Reinhart" that I had planned. They were in the previous mod but not in this version because I wanted to make them a unique playable race. You have given me some good ideas, I'll have to look into the plump helmet men that you mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions and drop a post once you get a chance to play!

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:27 pm »

Actually firing it up now.

I just described them as raiders and slavers rather than the old Desert Devils and Reinheit because I didn't really like how they were described - One sounded more like a slightly braver version of kobolds, while the other sounded too much akin to a "lol-evil-Enclave-expies" faction compared to the intent here being that Raiders are massive belligerent dicks more apt to fight than run and not bother much with all the sneaking about (unless it benefits their battle plan to do so,) while slavers have a vested interest in not genociding everyone - kidnapping and slavery is how they make their living.

As to biomes, frozen biomes don't usually support much in the way of crops or wildlife and makes setting up an above-ground well almost impossible, as even with a building over it the opening for the well would freeze at minimum, which kind of works against them being selected, where their advantage isn't supposed to be being an obstacle, it's providing an easily accessed and infinite source of potable/drowning chamber water.

The question should be: Do I want to be able to get easy drinking water away from a river (which means aquifers everywhere actually greatly expand where you can settle) or do I want easier access to fish/stone and ore (in which case, you're forced into looking to mountainous regions with rivers, effectively barring you from anywhere else because an inimical climate prevents agriculture and aquifers in warm flatlands are nearly impossible to get around,) or do I want to try for both? (Which means looking for a cave that you can use to access minerals and the underground while still having an aquifer to hydrate everyone.)

We'll see if my concern about the aquifers I justified soon enough though once I see how the trees are looking in this reboot, cause that's kinda the crux of the matter. It was a bitch without some way of bulk producing wood blocks to house people in the old mod.

EDIT: I'm checking legends, but it seems the undead horde faction isn't spawning...

EDIT II: Yep, no undead factions of either the small or large varieties. And the Picks and Scavvers get along too well. There wasn't a single armed conflict between any of the 40 civs that spawned.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 07:52:45 pm »

Is there still an optional raw file that doesn't make the stone deadly? Always had trouble with aboveground roofs.

Also, we need a 32-bit version.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:57:47 pm by Asin »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:37:16 pm »

Actually firing it up now.

I just described them as raiders and slavers rather than the old Desert Devils and Reinheit because I didn't really like how they were described - One sounded more like a slightly braver version of kobolds, while the other sounded too much akin to a "lol-evil-Enclave-expies" faction compared to the intent here being that Raiders are massive belligerent dicks more apt to fight than run and not bother much with all the sneaking about (unless it benefits their battle plan to do so,) while slavers have a vested interest in not genociding everyone - kidnapping and slavery is how they make their living.

Ahhhh I see what you are getting at now. I do really like the whole Frankenstein weapons, so perhaps they do warrant a civ on their own. I'll tinker with the idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You do bring up some very good points, so I do want to stress that the aquifers everywhere is an experiment. If I can find a better way to encourage above ground forts or if the General concensus is that the deadly rock layers were better I will switch. Above ground forts -I feel- are a necessity to the feel of corrosion that distinguishes it from other mods. So that will be preserved one way or another.

Of course I am a little delighted that the "perfect spot" is more difficult to get.
We'll see if my concern about the aquifers I justified soon enough though once I see how the trees are looking in this reboot, cause that's kinda the crux of the matter. It was a bitch without some way of bulk producing wood blocks to house people in the old mod.

At some point a sawmill was added to the old corrosion to turn 1 log into 4 planks. A burner workshop turned boards into ash and charcoal. Now I felt the latest version of DF and the large trees have plenty of wood, but if you think differantly let me know and both workshops will return in some capacity.

[/quote]

The guns have gone through a lot of name changes and likely still will. I'm still not happy with the M97 shotgun so I may adopt something from your list :P . The names I picked were picked so that a players wouldn't wonder what ammunition goes into a .22 long range. And unfortunately due to the limitations of modding -unless I missed something in the last 5 years- Firing speed of weapons is based solely on the skill of the user.

More guns are planned however! So I'll tuck this list in my perverbial shirt pocket.

It should also be noted, smaller gauges mean larger and more powerful shells, rather than the other way around for shotguns - an 8 gauge shell will be sufficient to knock the shooter down if not prepared, while many automatic shotguns can be rechambered to utilize the far lower recoil 20 gauge shell.[/spoiler]

Lol there goes my armchair gun cred. That will be fixed! I got the Bore ammo right though!

EDIT: I'm checking legends, but it seems the undead horde faction isn't spawning...

EDIT II: Yep, no undead factions of either the small or large varieties. And the Picks and Scavvers get along too well. There wasn't a single armed conflict between any of the 40 civs that spawned.

That is odd, I started a world after I uploaded and got both. Try a small/medium world and high civs. I'll see if I can confirm when I get a chance.

I'm typing all this on my iPod, sorry if my response is a bit terse I gave it all the glory my cold tired thumb could XD

Is there still an optional raw file that doesn't make the stone deadly? Always had trouble with aboveground roofs.

Also, we need a 32-bit version.

I think it's located in the stone_layer_new (something like that). Removing that file should get rid of it. It's the only entry at the moment so it shouldn't affect anything else. Generate a new world.

32 bit aye? I'll see what I can do. Any difference in RAWs between 32 and 64 that you know about?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:46:19 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »

I'm going to give it a few more tries, but on a medium world (I favor these over most because it gives enough room to breath during world gen, but everything's somewhat close enough for prolific conflicts.) I have the same problem with goblins on masterwork as of late, so I'm wondering what the issue might actually be.

Firing speed I'm unsure of. I know it used to be tied to agility and to a lesser degree skill - I had high agility shooters pump out way more shots than low agility ones, but that was 34.11 and older.

The descriptions of the guns are more meant to help give the player an idea of what they give thier people. Auto pistols won't look like revolvers or zip guns in the mind's eye, and a crudely made scrap-metal and duct-tape bolt gun isn't gonna elicit the same mental image as an old hunting rifle.  :)

As to weapon concepts for the raiders, a possible find in junk piles would be broken guns, which can be mashed together and sometimes combined with melee weapons - A broken hunting rifle, broken auto pistol, and a kitchen knife? You now have a Raider bolt gun which uses auto pistol ammo and has a kitchen knife bayonet. Find a broken autopistol and some sharp scrap metal (which could also be used to make a seperate makeshift shiv knife user weapon with some leather,) well take a bit of scrap metal to fix it and add some mountings, and now your Raider Autopistol has a shitty bayonet spot-welded to it. Broken shotgun and revolver? Congrats, you now have a Junk Blaster - a shield-capable pistol that uses shotgun shells. Got an old chain and found a working small motor? improvised chainsaw known as a Grinder doling out rapid small-contact-area blunt attacks. Add some sharp scrap metal, and you have a Shredder doing the same but destroying muscle and nervous tissue instead of shattering bones. Got a zipgun and a busted autopistol? Now that zipgun's been rechambered, giving you a stronger Raider Zipgun.

Could also add various farm tools as melee weapons for the non Pick factions - billhooks, butcher's knives, brush hooks, pitchforks... Bound to have these things around with the loss of industrial farming equipment.

In effect, where most try to make weapons of similar quality to the old world, the raiders don't care - They'll slap any old thing together to make it work and make it kill people, without a care for the probability that it might explode in their hands.

As to the comment about wood, I recall having to add it in myself since old trees were old trees and rock was undiggable/deadly.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:42:32 pm »

Awesome! Corrosion was my favorite total conversion for the old versions of DF. I'll have to try this one out.

The Reinheit also always seemed a little too evil-for-the-sake-of-evil to me. As for the Desert Devils, my impression was that they were somewhat like the Fremen from Dune, which could be a cool concept, especially if you want to make them a playable faction this time around.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 11:14:17 am »

The Desert Devils are getting along "wonderfully"

So far the desert devils have some basic guns and some very nice melee weapons. All Desert Devil's melee weapons use throwing knives as "ammo" allowing your soldiers to double as ranged and melee units.

As you can see in the picture they have a variety of new nobles to further differentiate them from Scavengers and Picks. The 'Expedition Leader' is replaced with a Tribe Leader that runs a squad, makes mandates, and handles punishment. Basically, expedition leader/military commander/sheriff all in one. I failed to fulfill his mandate so he took a respected member of society (whom are 'elected' and act as managers) and smashed his head into a screw press.

So far they do not have any special workshops, nor do they have any level 2 guns. I plan on getting these complete before release, however I want them to be constructed differently than the regular way. I'll have to play around with some stuff. I also have plans to give them some different metallurgy techniques relying on gems and glass instead, possibly remove their ability to make advanced steel. As far as workshops are concerned I'm thinking about giving them some way to make coke without logs, or at least make those reactions more efficient to allow them to thrive better in wood-less environments. They will also get a "permafire glass furnace" that will allow them to create basic glass objects (bricks, windows, doors, pots, jugs) without fuel.

Otherwise I have been editing the second post in the thread to give you guys an idea of what minor stuff I am working on. Big thing in this update is an improvement to farming and butchery to make farming less effective and increase the yield of butchery and tanning.

The Millstone can turn logs into planks, but the Scavengers get a new workshop that can do that, and some other stuff without power.

Weapons have been mildly improved all around as well.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

trekbook

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »

I gave this a spin, but I'm not sure I get how the steel is supposed to work. 
Given that ore only gives actual iron half the time, it looks like you need 6 ore for every crucible steel. The steel guide says that the reaction to make shear steel should be at the crucible, but I don't see it there.  I looked at the raws, and the reaction to make it was called FINISH_SHEAR_STEEL to be done at the finishing forge, while entity_default only has MAKE_SHEAR_STEEL listed as an allowed reaction. 

I also embarked on the northern tundra, and could only farm three kinds of berries above ground, and nothing below.  I think this is a biome thing, but just thought I should let you know.

Thanks for making this!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 05:48:45 pm »

Oh, a heads up, if you want to try and remove demons since they might be made of things too nonsensical to be mutations, the infected will need their sites changed to cities. Evidently there was some hard code change that makes demons a requirement for dark fortress civs now.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 06:27:26 pm »

You do bring up some very good points, so I do want to stress that the aquifers everywhere is an experiment. If I can find a better way to encourage above ground forts or if the General concensus is that the deadly rock layers were better I will switch. Above ground forts -I feel- are a necessity to the feel of corrosion that distinguishes it from other mods. So that will be preserved one way or another.

Of course I am a little delighted that the "perfect spot" is more difficult to get.

Have you tried having everyone that is not allowed underground, have the tag [CAVE_ADAPTS] and also apply a self interaction to themselves that uses the COUNTER_TRIGGER on CAVE_ADAPT that gives them worse and worse effects the longer they are underground (2 months may be fatal)

CAVE_ADAPT trigger notes
How cave-adapted the creature is. Increases by 1 for every time unit spent underground, to a maximum of 800000.
403200 (1 year) = going outside causes irritation
604800 (1.5 years) = going outside causes nausea

I use that method quite a bit when I create a playable human civ to encourage above ground or more "open" living arrangements 

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »

I'm glad to see Corrosion being updated again - it was always one of my favorite mods.  There seems to be a bug with the current version - it (and not other mods) causes the game to segfault on loading up a save, either with compressed or uncompressed savefiles.  The only think in the errorlog is
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_PIKE
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_PICK
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW
, and it seems to usually happen during the "Loading Artifacts" stage on the loading screen.  Is that affecting anyone else?

GrandpuhTy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lowly Cowherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 03:09:27 pm »

Surprisingly this did not end my first fort and the last wereelk lived in the mines while some new migrants arrived the next year. Of course the embark equipment was stuck down there with it, so getting a new fort built on the surface was interesting. Things were going fine up until some evasive infected showed up, and I forgot that they can now climb >.<

Anyway fort #2 is underway, while severely lacking in the hemp department the new farm area is sitting on a nice ledge, and I plan on making some overhangs to see if that'll stop them climbing up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4