Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: We're on Red Alert, comrade. Thrice.  (Read 12137 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
We're on Red Alert, comrade. Thrice.
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:46:01 pm »

For those who have been sleeping under a rock, Red Alert is part of the Command and Conquer Series, which is basically an RTS very much like Dune pioneered. Build base, gather resources, crash enemy.
Now, Red Alert 3 has just gone beta a few days ago. I bought Kane's Wrath, which includes a key which allows you to join the beta testing ( something which those money-eating bastards over at EA thought of ). However, the closer the game goes to being finished, the more dreadful it becomes. I can not believe fans are still liking what they see.
Japanese schoolgirls with telepathy? Bears shooting out of tanks? BLOODY ANIME ROBOTS?
And worst of all, the soviet's ultratank, the Apocalypse tank, THE SYMBOL of Soviet warfare in games, looks like it was recycled out of some toys.
Westwood is turning around in it's grave.
So, are there some guys on this forums who have a beta key to red alert 3? Are you going to join the beta? Are you going to form a angry crowd and demand a decent tribute to Westwood's legacy?

Make that a triple yes for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:29:54 pm by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: What have they done to Red Alert 3, comrades?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:50:37 pm »

Kanes Wrath is the beta key?

What the hell, why, it's not even the same C&C universe. Why can't my SUPER AWESOME package of C&C+2+Yuri's Revenge get me a beta key? Rotten bastards, skimping out on the real fans of Red Alert. Screw it, I'll just torrent it, it's an EA ruined game anyways, not like it matters.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:24 pm »

I'm probably going to cry.  :'(

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:11:13 pm »

>:(

WHY EA, WHY!?!?!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:51:49 pm »

It's good to know I can always find more people here to join my angry crowd in a few months. They've done it for me now. Just watch some "media" on the official red alert 3 site. BLOODY HERESY!
Atleast Hell March 3, the title song, is decent.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:00:56 pm »

While they're changing so much in Red Alert, they might as well change the title:

Red Alert 3: Obama's Wrath

If they want to make the plot current with the times they probably ought to make America the bad guys who are trying to redeem themselves by going red.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:43:42 pm »

The problem is they'll make one crappy game, then a second, before they get the hint.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:01 pm »

I'm sure that fewer people know of the Dune RTS than C&C.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:58:10 pm »

Yeah, and what's the deal with that Fallout 3 thing? I heard it's taking place in WASHINGTON and it's a FPS! They're ruining my favourite series!!!

Having no sequel is better then a sequel that changes things.  8)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 05:00:32 pm »

Yeah, and what's the deal with that Fallout 3 thing? I heard it's taking place in WASHINGTON and it's a FPS! They're ruining my favourite series!!!

Washington, DC to be correct.

Washington state wouldn't be too much of a stretch, considering that fallout 1 and 2 were set in the South West of America.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »

Having no sequel is better then a sequel that changes things.  8)

Yes, having no sequel at all would have been better than Bethesda's Fallout 3.

Take any game you really like, then imagine that a different group of people made a sequel for it that took away everything that was good about the previous game.  That's basically Fallout 3.

It's still quite confusing why Bethesda felt the need to buy the Fallout license just to make Oblivion with guns.

Let me put it this way.  Imagine you have a girlfriend, then imagine your girlfriend gets a haircut.  That's a change. 

Now imagine that instead of getting a haircut she shaved her head, and used your money to get massive cosmetic surgery that made her look completely different, and cheated on you.  That's Fallout 3.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:19:02 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »

Yeah, I've read some previews about the game. Right from the start it just seemed so silly. The whole anime thing is just the final nail in the coffin.

Of course, I'm not exactly "angry" about it since I've never actually played any of the Red Alert games. I'm just not interested in it. I'm curious, though, did any of the previous titles have any less-than-serious elements like this?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:08 pm »

Yeah, I've read some previews about the game. Right from the start it just seemed so silly. The whole anime thing is just the final nail in the coffin.

Of course, I'm not exactly "angry" about it since I've never actually played any of the Red Alert games. I'm just not interested in it. I'm curious, though, did any of the previous titles have any less-than-serious elements like this?

Yes, actually, RA2 was very silly compared to RA1.  I'm not entirely sure what the big difference is with RA3.  It's just another example of EA screwing up a good series.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »

We should make a separate topic to rally the mob against FO3. I'm sure there is a number of people here who would surely join it...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:42 pm »

Meh...  Some of us don't care anymore because we've seen far too many awesome series take a dive (surprisingly often due to publisher shenanigans).  Fallout's dead and buried, unfortunately.  That someone's recently exhumed the corpse to sate their necrophiliac urges doesn't change the fact that it's dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9