Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715569 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6975 on: October 19, 2012, 11:55:48 pm »

To be fair, the Elvis one is an actual intended spoof.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: October 20, 2012, 12:00:56 am »

"I only make spoof mokumentaries about conspiracy theories, but you should totally believe this crazy out there documentary with outlandish never before heard conspiracies about a sitting president."

Seriously, the mokumentary about the moon landing was more believable.

The more I read, the more I think he's yanking the chain. I see tea party heads asplodin' as they decide which conspiracy to believe, since this directly contradicts the Birther conspiracies. Would a loyalist to the anti-Obama cause make up a theory that so soundly destroys one of the key anti-Obama consipracies?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:06:22 am by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40:27 am »

The more I read, the more I think he's yanking the chain. I see tea party heads asplodin' as they decide which conspiracy to believe, since this directly contradicts the Birther conspiracies.

Nah. They'll just believe them both simultaneously.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:49 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: October 20, 2012, 03:19:21 am »

The more I read, the more I think he's yanking the chain. I see tea party heads asplodin' as they decide which conspiracy to believe, since this directly contradicts the Birther conspiracies.

Nah. They'll just believe them both simultaneously.

There's been a lot of talk over the last few years about the nature of conspiracies, similar to that article.  The thing so many people miss on this subject that I think is really important to recognize is that so many have actually happened.  The CIA especially did so much shit that was so crazy you can bring it up in conversation now and people will still call you a conspiracy theorist, even though it's declassified public information.  It's perfectly understandable for modern people to be in a state of hypersensitivity to conspiracy-like ideas.  Now stuff like lizard people and UFOs is pure crazy.  The birther movement is just angry nitpicking.  But to be critical of something like the official 9/11 story?  Perfectly understandable to me, especially when there's clear historical precedent.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:38 am »

You know, in sensible countries, people could get arrested for doing things like that.

Just adds to my belief that America's entire political system is based on legal corruption.

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: October 20, 2012, 04:52:33 am »

I seriously cannot believe people are this fucking disrespectful to the president. People didn't like Bush, but this shit against Obama is something unprecedented.

ffs, if they don't have respect for the man, they should have respect for the office. They are slandering the commander-in-chief of the USA with some invented conspiracy theory bullshit that holds zero credibility. Some of this shit is bordering on straight-up sedition or treason.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: October 20, 2012, 07:49:59 am »

I seriously cannot believe people are this fucking disrespectful to the president. People didn't like Bush, but this shit against Obama is something unprecedented.

ffs, if they don't have respect for the man, they should have respect for the office. They are slandering the commander-in-chief of the USA with some invented conspiracy theory bullshit that holds zero credibility. Some of this shit is bordering on straight-up sedition or treason.

One of the big things about living in a democracy is being able to rag on the guy with the top job, maybe its cultural as I am an aussie, but this 'respect for the office' thing seems like manufactured bs.  Really dont get it. 

Sedition is patriotism.  Though im drunk atm.  seems to be happening alot on this thread these days.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: October 20, 2012, 09:01:33 am »

I guess this is why Chinese leaders and other authoritarian rulers care so much about controlling free speech.

Otherwise, suddenly you're the leader of the most powerful nation in the world and powerless to stop people from calling your mother a whore.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: October 20, 2012, 10:46:13 am »

Perfectly understandable to me, especially when there's clear historical precedent.

A rejected proposal isn't clear historical precedent for any actual conspiracy being carried out successfully by the country in question.

Even if one was carried out, it would probably still be discovered - take for example Operation Greif, which wasn't even successful.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: October 20, 2012, 11:06:02 am »

Perfectly understandable to me, especially when there's clear historical precedent.

A rejected proposal isn't clear historical precedent for any actual conspiracy being carried out successfully by the country in question.

Even if one was carried out, it would probably still be discovered - take for example Operation Greif, which wasn't even successful.

It's kind of an important distinction that it was rejected by a single key person out of many.  It looks to me like it only needed that last signature...

And other conspiracies have been successfully carried out, such as the CIA experimenting on unaware citizens that didn't become known until decades later.  Try MKUltra or Tuskegee syphilis as just a couple examples.  Much of our conspiracy-like involvement in South America's dirty wars was denied until declassified only a few years ago, and many details still hadn't been verified until very recently thanks to Wikileaks... and many of the key political players behind all that mess were very active in Bush Jr's administration.

The point anyway is that it's ample justification for people to imagine that such a thing might be attempted again.

Edit:  Geez... I didn't know that the U.S. had taken those syphilis experiments even farther in Guatemala...  Not revealed until more than 60 years later.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:11:41 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6986 on: October 20, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/19137

Tag Romney owns a big slice of Hart Intercivic, a company that runs voting machines in Ohio.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: October 20, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »

Another potential voter suppression system.
I got a ticket on Wednesday for changing lanes without signalling. (Yes, Chicago’s coffers are in need of a refill.) Because I’m no longer a motor club member, I no longer have a bond card, the thing you can give the cop instead of your license. So she took my license, and now I’m driving on the ticket.

But here’s the thing: I want to vote early, and to do so in Chicago I’m required to show a government-issued photo i.d.–like, oh, say, my driver’s license, which I won’t have back until I complete traffic safety school and mail them $167. And even if I do that today, there’s very little chance I will receive my license back in the mail before November 6, much less in time to vote early.
As she points out, such traffic stops are far more common against minorities, the elderly and the young.

Thing is, how common is this sort of license confiscation? I've never heard of it before, and if it's only a Chicago thing then it might not be a huge problem. But if it were to become common in places with strong voter ID laws then traffic stops - already casually discriminatory - could become another tool for keeping unwanteds from the polls.

EDIT: So far only thing I've found about this license confiscation is this 2008 article which suggests it exists in several places but is only commonly used in Illinois.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:51:47 pm by palsch »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: October 20, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »

OR they could just spend the 25 20 dollars on getting a regular ID and use that for voting, I imagine?

Though it does take time, its thankfully much quicker than getting a driver's license, wait-wise.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: October 20, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »

Yep. You can get a state photo ID fairly easily.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 714