Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Journeys of Onol, Blessed of Armok  (Read 37234 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
The Journeys of Onol, Blessed of Armok
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

Armok, God of Blood, gazed down upon his champion and frowned. This would not do. This would not do at all.
He was gazing down at a tragic scene, for those who knew the backstory of this champion.
Onol Nekolurdim Uzolken Idok was one of the mightiest adventurers Armok had ever commanded, and the end that was coming for him was not worthy of someone so mighty; in fact, being killed by faulty oceans was not a death anyone deserved.
With a bellow, Armok sent his Valkyries to spirit the luck dwarf away.

Onol knew his time had come. The water was cold now, and sundown was fast approaching. Onol knew the wisdom of those who had passed on; the water froze with deadly swiftness here. Nevertheless, he swam on. Just as he felt the water about to snap-freeze, however, he felt arms wrap around his torso, fingers grasped his beard, what felt like legs grabbed his arms and lifted him free of the water.
"What is this madness," he cried, but he was hushed by the thrumming voice that practically burst his ears: "Armok is not yet done with you. We carry you to rest; on the morrow, resume the journey."
Exhausted from swimming the whole day, Onol hung his head and slept.

So yeah. This thread might not be updated very frequently, but it will chronicle the continued adventures of my best adventurer ever, saved from the jaws of death by the handy advice of Eric Blank. More details are in the 'How have you been dying recently' thread; I'll post a link later.
I will consult Bay12 for advice on what to battle next, but keep in mind that Onol can overcome pretty much anything at this point. First update to come sometime. Until then!

You can view the summary of his exploits here.

Updates:
Chapter One: Landfall
First Combat
Chapter Two: Leaving the (First) Island
Fear The Night
Not a Smart Idea
Close to Home

Memorable Quotes:
On bogeymen:
Now the night will know why it fears Onol.
On wolves:
I chuckled when I realized that this massive wolf was probably warg-sized compared to Onol, and despite going berserk on him he's just going "meh" and kicking her to death.

Now with downloadable file! Note, requires Genesis 31.25.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8133
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:23:03 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
Re: The Journeys of Onol, Blessed of Armok
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 05:32:54 pm »

HUZZAH!

Truly this is a blessed day.
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:52:21 pm »

PtW.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:14:53 am »

Update tomorrow, provided I figure out how to image upload and all that.

EDIT: And here we are!

Chapter One: Landfall

Onol awoke damp. The sound of waves frothing filled his ears, interpersed with the rough cawing of seagulls. Coughing, spluttering, and vomiting up a considerable amunt of water, Onol staggered to his feet and cast his gaze around.
Spoiler: Large (click to show/hide)
Not much to look at, but it was enough to jog his memory. This was the beach he'd set out on that damnable swim from! Onol kicked some sand backwards in disgust and froze when he heard it hit something. He turned around very slowly.

He took a step backward. Last he'd checked, there was no one there - and he was very good at observing. Legendary, in fact. So how had this glowing warrior appeared? He was paused in his contemplation by a voice that quite literally glowed:

Greetings, Onol. Well met.

Onol frowned, then asked, "How do you know my name?"

I know many things. For one, that you should be thankful.

"What for?"

Why, for preserving your existence. You must be skilful indeed, to move the Blood God to spare you from your icy fate.

"Well, I won't admit that I'm not great, but you say that Armok on high saved me? What are you, then?"

Call me an angel, a valkyrie, an ancient being of sword and fire; it makes no difference. What does matter is that you have been saved by Armok, but with one condition: that you go deep into the earth, and find the sword of adamantine Armok has placed to seal off the demons from entering the world. You must proceed into the depths of Hell itself and slaughter every demon in your path for His enjoyment.

The angel leaned closer, and its face took on a grim aspect.

And if you mess up, I will take it out on you, because Armok will allow for your mistakes on account of your mortality and punish ME instead. So DON'T MESS UP.

With that, the angel stepped back and vanished with a flash of light, leaving Onol with a headache, a threat hanging over his head, and a profound hatred of water.
It was a start.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:48:42 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

Update has been added.
Sig! Onol

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:01:22 pm »

Have fun wandering the caverns for several hours! Then, have fun wandering the featureless blank expanse of Hell trying to track down tough-as-nails demons. Seriously, Hell in adventurer mode isn't all it's cracked up to be. At any rate, good luck on your quest.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:03:36 pm »

In all honesty, there's nothing else to do by now; Onol practically oneshots BC's by now. I intend to showcase his badassery a little before I descend into te caverns, however.
Sig! Onol

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:09:03 pm »

In all honesty, there's nothing else to do by now; Onol practically oneshots BC's by now. I intend to showcase his badassery a little before I descend into te caverns, however.
I recommend recruiting the dwarves to make a passage down to the 3rd level of caverns at least. It may feel like cheating or whatever, but you really wouldn't be proving anything by wasting your time wandering the depths on your own.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:16:07 pm »

I recommend recruiting the dwarves to make a passage down to the 3rd level of caverns at least. It may feel like cheating or whatever, but you really wouldn't be proving anything by wasting your time wandering the depths on your own.
...You know what, that's true. And I don't think it'ss matter that I have no experience in fortressing, because I'll just be digging! First, however, comes some demonstrations.

EDIT: Quick question, would you folks like a long drawn-out wolf torture session or just killing them?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:40:04 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:54 am »

I think we're all psychopathic enough playing adventurers in this game to say that I'd prefer just killing them for StoryTime (TM), because at least if I'm speaking for myself I can say that I've done enough torture and mutilation to really not care at this point. :P

oh_no

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:58:34 pm »

Combat Analysis

Prefight:

Postfight:

Spoiler: Also huge (click to show/hide)

Onol basically curbstomped them, kicking out all their teeth and hacking off the one that remained's eyes, ears, and nose. He is currently slowly kicking her to death. After this I'll go searching for a hamlet to retire him in so I can build a fortress that goes down to HFS Investigate these rumors of a fortress dedicated entrely to going down to the HFS.
Sig! Onol

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »

3 of those pictures don't work for me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »

3 of those pictures don't work for me.
Huh. I really don't know how to do this whole image thing.
Is there a better picture service thing than imgur? Because otherwise there'll have to be no pictures to cover the ADVENTURE. And that would suck.
Also, how would one prevent the pictures from being so damned bog?
Sig! Onol

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »

You can put them in MS Paint and resize them. I don't know if you should do it through the toolbars or not, in case it gets stretched or squashed, but I think the selection tool should keep it proportional for you. After that you can upload to Imgur just fine. Unless Imgur has a way to upload an image at difference sizes?

Also, all the pictures worked for me. I chuckled when I realized that this massive wolf was probably warg-sized compared to Onol, and despite going berserk on him he's just going "meh" and kicking her to death. "Her nose is gone." <<< Lolwhat? Like, her nose nose or her whole muzzle?
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »

I dunno. I suppose that it's just the nose, since her mouth is still there.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2 3 4