Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804396 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Fallout 3 with mods
« Reply #900 on: June 24, 2015, 09:26:23 am »

Just wanted to add my two cents to the pre-order conversation.

Standing in a line for hours during the 80's sure didn't make the toilet paper or rice I had to buy feel any more special.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:09 am »

The exclusive has been done numerous times already.
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/05/27/pip-boy-3000-fallout-3-arm-mounted-iphone-dock-pics/
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gehaeuse-Hardware-213436/News/Casemod-843101/
http://hackaday.com/2012/11/14/a-wearable-pipboy-3000/

You want nostalgia and a sense of accomplishment? Build your own.

Standing in line with other people usually just amounted to playing other games and talking about other games, which can be done ANYWHERE.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 24, 2015, 10:01:26 am »

Jokes all on you, some poor courier is going to deliver my pipboy to the house while I sit and play Fallout Dust

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 24, 2015, 10:49:27 am »

Standing in a line for hours during the 80's sure didn't make the toilet paper or rice I had to buy feel any more special.

On the contrary, standing in line for 50 minutes to get to use the toilets at a festival made the eventual visit feel much better.
Love, scriver~

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 24, 2015, 11:10:04 am »

On the contrary, standing in line for 50 minutes to get to use the toilets at a festival made the eventual visit feel much better.

But doesn't balance the 50 minutes of discomfort/pain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 24, 2015, 04:49:35 pm »

Toilet paper and rice are things you need, not things you want. You don't get excited when you go to get toilet paper and rice (unless you've been eating gruel and wiping with your hand for years). There's no communal feeling associated with waiting for the new brand of toilet paper or rice to be released -- and mundane products don't have the same nature as games in the sense of "newness". You buy whatever's cheap.

Nobody is saying that "waiting in line = good". It's the atmosphere it creates when you're waiting for a special thing which you've been anticipating, the emotional buildup, and the sense of camaraderie.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 24, 2015, 05:14:23 pm »

Waiting for the midnight release of Skyrim was one of the best nights I've had with my family, actually.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 24, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »

and the sense of camaraderie.

"Can I scoot ahead of you in line?"

I've had much better evenings in the comfort of someone's home, not sitting in line in front of a retail store trading bathroom trips with a friend because otherwise we'd both lose our spots.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:25:07 pm by BigD145 »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »

I got that feeling when installing games back in the day, when the installer would take up your entire screen with artwork and play music while installing the game, and you actually had to sit there and watch for when it wanted you to change the disk out. That would take ten minutes at most, though. My patience for a line at a Gamestop (or wherever) would be well worn-out by the half hour mark, even if the game being released were Half-Life 3 or something similarly momentous.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #909 on: June 25, 2015, 06:34:20 am »

I can enjoy all of that anticipation and community here on the forums with you guys or at a friend's house playing a game for the first time. Waiting in line plays no part in it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 25, 2015, 07:30:10 am »

I've had much better evenings in the comfort of someone's home, not sitting in line in front of a retail store trading bathroom trips with a friend because otherwise we'd both lose our spots.

I got that feeling when installing games back in the day, when the installer would take up your entire screen with artwork and play music while installing the game, and you actually had to sit there and watch for when it wanted you to change the disk out. That would take ten minutes at most, though. My patience for a line at a Gamestop (or wherever) would be well worn-out by the half hour mark, even if the game being released were Half-Life 3 or something similarly momentous.

Is this what people think preorder lines are like?

When I went to pick up SC2, me and a friend got there about 45 minutes before release (we were thinking the same thing as you guys: lines), the guys at the gamestop simply asked our names and order numbers/receipts and showed us our copies, then put a sticky note with the name and a number on it and gave you a small note with the number. As soon as midnight hit, things went fast and smooth as they set up 3 lines where they called the numbers in numerical order. Got it done in minutes. There were only maybe 40 people waiting at that store, but still.

I don't have time for that these days, I'd rather just order it on Steam the day before or so and get it preloaded that night.
But the thing is other than Fallout 4, no recent releases have risen to "HOLY SHIT" levels with me since SC2 (It looked like it was going to be the shit then) and Skyrim. But then, I preordered online for Skyrim, and got it loaded that night, no fuss.

I for one, will be preordering Fallout 4 the night before release, cuz it's reached hype level "HOLY SHIT" from those Trailers/E3 demo.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #911 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:23 am »

I don't know how typical this is but apparently the shop near me in the Mall had over 700 people turn out for Skyrim's midnight release and it was chaos. I wasn't there but a buddy sent me pictures when he went in. I had bought it online and my copy arrived the day before.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 25, 2015, 07:35:39 am »

The only game in recent memory that has reached "Holy shit!" level of hype with me was Witcher 3, and I don't even have that yet.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 25, 2015, 07:49:53 am »

I don't know how typical this is but apparently the shop near me in the Mall had over 700 people turn out for Skyrim's midnight release and it was chaos. I wasn't there but a buddy sent me pictures when he went in. I had bought it online and my copy arrived the day before.

Dem console heads ruining the times of the glorious PC Gaming Masterrace, no doubt. But yeah, I heard scare stories of how many console versions were being sold at my local gamestop so I demurred and chose Steam preorder instead.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 25, 2015, 09:15:45 am »

Is this what people think preorder lines are like?

When I went to pick up SC2, me and a friend got there about 45 minutes before release (we were thinking the same thing as you guys: lines), the guys at the gamestop simply asked our names and order numbers/receipts and showed us our copies, then put a sticky note with the name and a number on it and gave you a small note with the number. As soon as midnight hit, things went fast and smooth as they set up 3 lines where they called the numbers in numerical order. Got it done in minutes. There were only maybe 40 people waiting at that store, but still.

I don't have time for that these days, I'd rather just order it on Steam the day before or so and get it preloaded that night.
But the thing is other than Fallout 4, no recent releases have risen to "HOLY SHIT" levels with me since SC2 (It looked like it was going to be the shit then) and Skyrim. But then, I preordered online for Skyrim, and got it loaded that night, no fuss.

I for one, will be preordering Fallout 4 the night before release, cuz it's reached hype level "HOLY SHIT" from those Trailers/E3 demo.

I see you have not waited in a line 2-24 hours for anything.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 462