Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803560 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #1125 on: July 08, 2015, 06:18:13 am »

I play a pacifist in Skyrim and I quite enjoy all the illusion spells that facilitate this (I only wish more of the quests and events took into account the fact that you can calm people down).

I'd like to see more peacable ways of solving problems in Fallout 4. New Vegas was pretty good for this, the main quest could be completed without killing. But the outlaws would always fight to the death still. It'd be good if enemies could concede more often (but not like in Skyrim where they just pretend to concede for about five seconds).

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1126 on: July 08, 2015, 06:44:37 am »

The second-biggest problem for me when it came to skyrim, (the first being the horrible combat making stealth archery the most fun to play), would have to be how your actions only ever have canned, half-assed effects on how the world treats you. Your fame/deeds are only ever paid lipservice in passing, while you wade through all of the questlines as if you were fresh out of your chains, unknown & supposedly weak.
I mean shit, you get the same welcome to the stormcloaks whether you're a dyed-in-the-wool Talosian nord or a sadistic altmer mage.
It only would have taken a little bit of work to fix this- the main questlines would need alternate introductions with skipped/alternate quests & different dialogue.
Not an insignificant amount of work, but not a LOT, & it would have made all the difference.

If their deadline isn't as stupid as the last one, (though it shares an unsettling number of 1's), maybe they could fix this next time.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 08, 2015, 07:04:57 am »

I agree 100%. They should have spent the time and voice acting they spent making all those inane fetch quests and put it into individualising NPC responses to your race, factions, ranks, and actions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1128 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:16 am »

I agree 100%. They should have spent the time and voice acting they spent making all those inane fetch quests and put it into individualising NPC responses to your race, factions, ranks, and actions.
Right because those two resource investments are exactly equal.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 08, 2015, 07:14:05 am »

It's just script writing and voice-overs either way. The time they spent doing one kind they could have spent doing another.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1130 on: July 08, 2015, 07:15:37 am »

It's just script writing and voice-overs either way. The time they spent doing one kind they could have spent doing another.
Individualizing every single NPC's responses in all of their dialogue to match whatever special snowflake combination of race, class, sex, faction, and previous actions taken is not exactly the same level of effort as voicing some basic fetch quests.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 08, 2015, 07:16:14 am »

Another issue I had with Skyrim that I pray isn't present in FO4 is how rushed all the faction quests felt. The Companions were the worst with this, you did like, maybe 4 to 5 quests and then they let you into their inner circle. I mean, blech, it was ridiculous.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:32 am »

Another issue I had with Skyrim that I pray isn't present in FO4 is how rushed all the faction quests felt. The Companions were the worst with this, you did like, maybe 4 to 5 quests and then they let you into their inner circle. I mean, blech, it was ridiculous.
Not only that, but with Companions you couldn't just putter around doing the radiant quests like in the Thieves Guild for no apparent reason.
And CoW HAD no repeatable quests that I know of.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 08, 2015, 07:36:33 am »

Individualizing every single NPC's responses in all of their dialogue to match whatever special snowflake combination of race, class, sex, faction, and previous actions taken is not exactly the same level of effort as voicing some basic fetch quests.
I didn't mean to imply every NPC had to be individualised to that full extent. More stuff like, if you're a high rank in some other faction then maybe people won't ask you to do their chores. Or even just a wider range of greetings and more unique dialogue options depending on relevant things in your background. Actually, it's the sort of thing Fallout New Vegas was pretty good at doing: factions recognise if you've already helped them out (shortening some quest chains in the process), your alignment and factions would effect how many people treated you etc. They did a fair bit of this in Skyrim (Ulrific would give a different reaction to you joining if you were an outlander, or all the different guard reactions) and that was good, and more of that sort of thing would have led to an even richer experience. It's just a matter of development priorities.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1134 on: July 08, 2015, 08:13:27 am »

They did a fair bit of this in Skyrim (Ulrific would give a different reaction to you joining if you were an outlander
You sure about that? I could have sworn they treat -everyone- as an outsider, and welcome altmer just as quickly as nords.

But nah, I wouldn't want every little side-quest & npc to change- you can't expect lowly commoners to keep up with current events. Nor do you necessarily need entire questline dialogues to be altered- just the part where they have you do chores and/or 'prove you aren't just some street-rabble after their silverware'-- The first few quests on the major faction/guild storylines.
And then just famous/infamous branches would make a big difference. If they really wanted to get fancy & had the time, they could add a prejudiced/unprejudiced axis as well, so you'd get a different reaction from -mer & men- (two categories, not special-snowflake level). That'd be 4 options at most, probably with overlap, on the major questlines.
Back in my modding days that'd take me 2-3 weeks *at most* to script if I knew what I was doing. Even with voice-acting, there's no reason they couldn't have done far more in just as much time when they have a team & are working it as a job.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:17:48 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 08, 2015, 08:23:54 am »

I honestly feel like the biggest issue with a lot of Beth's games (aside from their... Let us say mediocre writing ability) stem from the engine. It's just so clunky.

What I think would have been more interesting was if you were barred from joining certain guilds until you were of a certain level (either literally, or of renown.)
Either that or have the things be variable.

But you know, what this all stems from is the levelling system. Fuck that. (Not the levelling system as in the one level-up and get stronger of the PC, but the stupid scaling. Skyrim was better than Oblivion, but any amount of it is bad.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 08, 2015, 08:34:41 am »

You sure about that? I could have sworn they treat -everyone- as an outsider, and welcome altmer just as quickly as nords.
Checking now, there's one line of dialogue that changes depending on your race.

If they really wanted to get fancy & had the time, they could add a prejudiced/unprejudiced axis as well, so you'd get a different reaction from -mer & men- (two categories, not special-snowflake level). That'd be 4 options at most, probably with overlap, on the major questlines.
In Morrowind they had a reputation system with inter-faction relations affecting how people initially treat you. They could incorporate that sort of thing with additional snippets to communicate the reason why someone likes or doesn't like you ("I don't break bread with the Legion", "an Altmer is always welcome at my hearth" etc.)

What I think would have been more interesting was if you were barred from joining certain guilds until you were of a certain level (either literally, or of renown.)
Either that or have the things be variable.
I'd prefer more exclusivity for factions and guilds. I don't think you should be able to side with everyone and get to the top ranks in every single faction. I liked it in Morrowind how you couldn't join more than one House, and your actions in some factions would lock off progress in others (like assassinating crucial people as the Morag Tong etc.)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 08, 2015, 08:51:08 am »

Anyway, speaking of armours: Can anyone remind me whether customization was confirmed for armours that isn't power armour? I think I saw some concept art that hinted at it, but I can't remember beyond that.
Standard armor looks customizable. There's a still of when they're showing off the pip boy edition that shows (in addition to a curved ripper and a triple barreled missile launcher with added bayonet) a character equipped with light combat armor over a vault 111 suit. Some parts of the armor are listed as shaded, others as fiberglass, and I'm pretty sure I recall a third type.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1138 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:22 am »

Checking now, there's one line of dialogue that changes depending on your race.
Where is it? I only see the one in Helgen when you first choose your race.

In Morrowind they had a reputation system with inter-faction relations affecting how people initially treat you. They could incorporate that sort of thing with additional snippets to communicate the reason why someone likes or doesn't like you ("I don't break bread with the Legion", "an Altmer is always welcome at my hearth" etc.)
That could actually be fit into the prejudiced/unprejudiced categories I mentioned with a simple [race] insert. It really wouldn't take much work to implement something like this.

I'd prefer more exclusivity for factions and guilds. I don't think you should be able to side with everyone and get to the top ranks in every single faction. I liked it in Morrowind how you couldn't join more than one House, and your actions in some factions would lock off progress in others (like assassinating crucial people as the Morag Tong etc.)
Eh, well, so long as we're letting the player be a mary-sue with the leveling system beth put in place, (which I'm not necessarily opposed to), there's little reason to cordon off the factions that are in the game.
Could an arch-mage kick ass with the companions?
Similarly, could an assassin or non-pacifist thief be useful or even relied upon?
Is there some doctrine that a fire-breathing barbarian can't be allowed to study in the mages circle, so long as they minimize the barbarianism while on the premises?

But I think we're getting kinda side-tracked here.

Standard armor looks customizable. There's a still of when they're showing off the pip boy edition that shows (in addition to a curved ripper and a triple barreled missile launcher with added bayonet) a character equipped with light combat armor over a vault 111 suit. Some parts of the armor are listed as shaded, others as fiberglass, and I'm pretty sure I recall a third type.
This all kinda looks like the kind of thing you could do with tailor-made in NV. Slots for mix & matching. If it's extended to mix & matching for individual pieces, now that would be more impressive.
Badges of honor

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 08, 2015, 09:06:43 am »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by individual pieces here. The armor is made up of six chunks. Each chunk appears to have a type (such as light combat) and a modifier (fiberglass). It's possible that light is also a modifier, not a base type, but I'm unsure of that. Still, that customization seems good considering that everyone wore leotards with varying degrees of fanciness in fallout 3.

What exactly do you mean by individual pieces?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 462