Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804314 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1515 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26:38 am »

Have we ever considered how much it costs to create a game at all?

The same as it did without needing paid mods.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:04 am »

Anyone who buys a paid mod for Fallout 4 or even defends the system of paid mods is contributing to the death of gaming.

First they sold games with draconian DRM that punished paying customers and people let them.
Then they partitioned the content of a game at release and sold day one DLC and people let them.
Then they started selling buggy games that needed months of patching under the banner 'early access' and abandoning them half finished after the revenue dried up and people let them.
Now they are asking customers to pay for modified content created by fans and shared due to love of the game and people are letting them.

Next:

... And people will let them.

Stop letting them.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 23, 2015, 03:36:04 am »

Well, you're late to the discussion.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 23, 2015, 03:45:26 am »

This bickering about paid mods is obviously very fascinating, but the real question is: what happened to those plants which spit seeds at you? Will Seymour the talking plant make an appearance?

Would anyone else like the option of (permanently) becoming a ghoul or mutant during play?

Also, do we reckon there's going to be more spinoff games like Tactics and New Vegas?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 23, 2015, 03:47:45 am »

I'd love Obsidian to do another Fallout game.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 23, 2015, 03:50:44 am »

Those plants were in New Vegas. Not sure if they were only in Honest Hearts, but they were in there.

They'd have to do a lot more voice acting with ghouls and their scratchy chain-smoking voice/super mutants with their Green Giant voice.

Maybe. Hopefully they'll get Obsidian to do it again, they did great with Vegas. Hopefully Bethesda will give them a bit more time and leeway, though.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 23, 2015, 03:57:33 am »

And not fuck them over because of a 1% metacritic score difference, or was it 2%?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 23, 2015, 04:08:31 am »

Obvious hyperbole is obvious. I'm fairly sure that post (the 4chan one) was sarcastic, to a certain extent.

Also, please present a few points as to why paid mods are a good thing rather than dismissing everything as 'slippery slope'. Yes, the consequences are exaggerated but there are negative consequences, quite heavy ones, that can easily be caused directly because of a paid modding system.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:22 am »

PLEASE
OH GOD, PLEASE
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 23, 2015, 04:13:10 am »

They'd have to do a lot more voice acting with ghouls and their scratchy chain-smoking voice/super mutants with their Green Giant voice.
I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to automatically lower the voice down an octave for the supermutant, but you're right that the hassle would probably discourage them from doing that (not to mention all the scripted events that would have to be checked to still work of you're actually three feet taller).

What would be possible is to turn you slowly into a tree-in-the-head ambiently mutated person like Harold.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:37 am »

PLEASE
OH GOD, PLEASE
I am perfectly willing to kidnap Todd Howard's entire extended family and hold them for ransom until Obsidian agrees to make another Fallout game based on the FO4 engine.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 23, 2015, 04:16:21 am »

Ooh we might get Cataclysm-DDA style cyborg modifications in Fallout 4 if they've got all those android technology experts running around.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:39 am »

Also, do we reckon there's going to be more spinoff games like Tactics and New Vegas?

It's a bit uncertain where they're at at this moment, I think. One of Obsidian's main links to the Fallout series, Chris Avellone, just left the studio. Some of the rumours of where he's going includes possibly joining up with inXile and Brian Fargo (one of the original producers of Fallout) to work on a Van Buren-inspired project - van Buren was, for those who don't recognise the name, the codename for Black Isle's cancelled Fallout 3 project which was headed by Avellone and Josh Sawyer. New Vegas was basically their attempt to make that Fallout 3 again, and lots of Van Buren ideas went into it, whether directly as content or as world fluff.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to think a new possible FallObsidian game hinged exclusively on whether Avellone is there, especially since he has been known to cross-work between studios writing-wise (and iirc he only worked on New Vegas as a writer anyway). But it might influence the possibilities.

I'm also not sure in what situation Obsidian is currently in. If I understand things correctly, they were basically on the verge of bankruptcy when they launched the PoE kickstarter and had at the time had to cut themselves down to a very small studio. I'm not sure if they've grown enough to be a multiple game project studio again, but if they haven't they might be focusing all their workforce on PoE stuff in the near future. We'll see.

Maybe. Hopefully they'll get Obsidian to do it again, they did great with Vegas. Hopefully Bethesda will give them a bit more time and leeway, though.

Hehe. I'm a big Obsidian fan, but when you learn that only two thirds of the originally planned map ever even made it into the game, and even then with lots of cut stuff in them, you realise those guys have no sense of scale :P
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 23, 2015, 04:29:26 am »

also the guy who actually created Fallout is working for obsidian now

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 23, 2015, 04:29:55 am »

Quote from: Ispil
Hyperbole and slippery slope ahoy, not even to mention 4 lines of individual strawmen. Where do I even begin?

My suggestion for where to begin would be not wasting your time trying to score imaginary internet points against your fellow users.

But if you want to keep tilting at them windmills then be my guest Don Quixote, be my guest.

Also I suggest you look the definition of a straw-man. Here's a hot tip. When talking about the dangers of anti-consumer practices in video games, citing examples of anti-consumer practices in video games is not a straw-man.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:42:22 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 462