Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803575 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1530 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34:14 am »

Can we please end this argument before it devolves further into name-calling? It's been going on for pages and everything that can be said has been said. Let's just talk about the upcoming game. Quake-con, maybe?

Please, no more name-calling.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 23, 2015, 04:47:55 am »

also the guy who actually created Fallout is working for obsidian now

Do you mean Feargus Urquhart or Tim Cain? It doesn't really matter, they both work for it (although Urquhart has worked there since founding it ;) ). I had forgotten about Cain joining Obsidian, though. I guess there's more FO guys on there right now than there ever was, so from that aspect the chances of getting another FallObsidian game might be bigger, rather than smaller.
Love, scriver~

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 23, 2015, 04:50:18 am »

Fallout: New San Franciso
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 23, 2015, 05:39:47 am »

Can we please end this argument before it devolves further into name-calling? It's been going on for pages and everything that can be said has been said. Let's just talk about the upcoming game. Quake-con, maybe?

Please, no more name-calling.
Eh, easier just to report and move on. He clearly has no intention on doing anything other than trolling.

Answering another user's question is now trolling? That's quite the definition of trolling. You asked where to begin and I politely obliged you with an answer. I have made a total of three posts to this thread including this one. I would have made a grand total of one if you hadn't have decided to make a one line post which contributed nothing to the thread except trying unsuccessfully to score a zinger off me.

If you'd like to continue this discussion I suggest you move it to personal messages now so as not to drag the thread off-topic. As far as reports are concerned, report away. Considering your first post I have been remarkably civil (at least by my metrics). I won't be reporting you because it's unnecessary. I'm not threatened by what you have to say.

Getting back to Fallout 4:

How is a dog being in the game even a feature? There has been a dog in all of the Fallouts...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:57:32 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:41 am »

Except new vegas.

It all comes to AI packages

snrk fable2
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 23, 2015, 06:22:27 am »

I don't think they're saying it's a new feature, they're just highlighting Dogmeat as a companion because dogs have always been popular in post-apocalyptic media. Mad Max, A Boy ans His Dog, along with pretty much all Fallout games have included canine companions. Plus, they've got that weird Skyrim companion command system.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 23, 2015, 06:46:09 am »

Except new vegas.
There was a dog companion in New Vegas: Rex the cyberhound.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:51:29 am by notquitethere »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:24 am »

How could you forget 'Ol Rexie?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1538 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:54 am »

Paid mods were introduced for Skyrim on April 23rd, about two years after the last DLC was released. Presumably, sales weren't great by that point. Sure, they're pretty much always okay for triple-A games, but I doubt too many people were getting it four years after the fact. Paid mods were then pulled five days later, I believe. I doubt paid mods made such a big impact on Skyrim's already mediocre sales within those five days that Bethesda were forced to remove them.
snip
Like I said a couple pages ago, that was probably because they were having their first-ever E3 appearance in 2 months. That's not a lot of time to forget about the controversy, and they probably judged that it would dog them at least to E3 if they didn't give in.
They didn't want that, especially with FO4 planned for November, just 5 months later.
If they had known it would be controversial, (apparently they didn't), they wouldn't have done that.

snip
Hey, I never said I agreed with paid mods; it's just that most of the arguments against them are fallacious to the point where they're not worth arguing against. So far the only arguments I've seen in this whole thread are along the lines of "paid patches," "forcing modders to make their mods pay-only," and some allegory about a Minecraft server.

Alright, here's a link to some old musings from Wrye that was shared around last time everyone was talking about this. Maybe it'll explain better than I did.

My issue with paid mods is that it creates a hell of a legal clusterfuck that most modders would not be willing to deal with. It's hard to collaborate when you're trying to negotiate ownership of a group mod to determine whether to make it pay-for or not. It could easily reach a point where, just to make a group mod and avoid constant arguments over who owns what and who gets what cut, that modders would have to set up an LLC or somesuch just to settle out the details.
I always thought this argument was humbug. Deciding how to monetize a grouping of paid mods should be pretty straight-forward. They talk to eachother, figure out how to drop their prices to make the package more reasonable, and if someone doesn't want to play ball they get someone else or the mod doesn't get made.
They could probably just set it up through steam/whatever marketplace endorses all this after they talk it out.

What it would do is stymie cooperation between paid & free mods/modders, and updating paid group mods would be a headache for those involved, especially if someone walked away.

Or do you mean how less-scrupulous behaviors would be handled, like holding your part of the mod hostage after-the-fact unless you get a bigger cut?

If you guys want I can spoiler this conversation to keep it somewhat separated from the thread.
How could you forget 'Ol Rexie?
Rex is probably my least-favorite companion. You just get a new brain for him and that's that. Obligatory dog completed.
Dogmeat on the other hand looked better & served an actual purpose with those random alien weapon drops. (find the powercells boy!)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 23, 2015, 08:13:53 am »

Rex doesn't get much in terms of character development, that's true. It's also kinda sad that you have to kill another dog if you want him to be happy and complete his companion quest.
There's also Roxie in Old World Blues. Sure, even less significance than Rex and easily missed, but she's still there. Her ending even says she creates cyberpuppies with Rex. Maybe those will appear in a future Fallout.

I'm not sure how much of New Vegas is in Bethesda's canon though. Heck, I'm not even sure if the Fallout 3 DLCs are all canon. Mothership Zeta would give some interesting stories to hear.

Then again, even if they may be canon, as I said before, we don't know WHEN Fallout 4 takes place. It could be before or during FO3/NV. "200 years after the War" is quite vague, especially since '200 years' could mean 180 or 220 easily.

By the way, if the PC survives by hibernation, but then why didn't House use the same technology for example? Tranquility Lane in FO3 has seemingly 200 year old people trapped in the sim, who don't seem to age, so House could also stay connected to his computers. And it seems RobCo had pretty close ties with Vault-Tec. Maybe Braun was simply keeping hush-hush about Vault 87's stuff.

If it's not hibernation, then what? IIRC, Androids are post-war tech, but based on the OWB Think Tank, a brain can be preserved quite well in a cyborg body for 200 years. Rex' brain didn't do so well, but maybe Vault-Tec had special machinery.
Still, being a cyborg is a no-go. It would mean poison immunity and probably rad immunity too. Not to mention endurance that's way too high... actually, that's all plausible, seeing as how much stronger the PC is than your average soldier in the Fallout games.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:29 am »

Obviously the memories of your "pre-war" life is just constructs implanted to make you more human, and your eye and touch code has been written to reinterpret any signs that your are a bot, such as exposed wires or metal, to look and feel like fleshy bits :P
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 23, 2015, 08:38:09 am »

My theory is that you are a clone of yourself implanted with the memories of the original.

To be more specific, you're the 4th or 5th clone.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 23, 2015, 09:43:30 am »

In a shocking reveal, everyone's just humoring the crazy clone PC who just keeps saying their name in different inflections

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 23, 2015, 09:45:30 am »

In a shocking reveal, everyone's just humoring the crazy clone PC who just keeps saying their name in different inflections

Only the "main" characters will call you by name. Everyone else will slide something else in there. "Hey......buddy?" or "Sup.......guy."
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 462