Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804281 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: 4 DAYS
« Reply #2580 on: November 06, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »

Just got my key from GMG as well. I'm pretty hype. Here's hoping the institute won't just be evul technonazis and the brotherhood won't just be goody paladins of justice and compassion.
On the brotherhood front, the launch trailer shows the player fighting brotherhood members, so they may be more in line with stuff from the older fallouts/NV.
They seemed perfectly nice in Fallout 2 :/  They distribute useful technology to help people, they just try to archive it first.  They want to eventually rebuild the world's high-tech infrastructure.  In the meantime they try to keep advanced military technology out of the hands of bandits.
(From what I understand, in Fallout 1 they give you a quest they don't expect you to complete.  But when you do, they're happy and make you a member, and the quest was actually very important)

They recruit from locals, too.  Mostly in Fallout Tactics, but it's canon that they do it everywhere.  Anybody can join the Brotherhood if they're useful enough to research or protect.

The NCR-Brotherhood war bothered me a lot, since I didn't see that coming at all from Fallout 2.  But I guess good organizations can get corrupted, or (as the non-canon Van Buren indicated) have a radical leader come to power.  As sad as it was, the conflict made New Vegas more interesting...  If the Brotherhood had become an arm of the NCR like the Rangers, that would have been boring.  Instead we have a bitter blood-war between two good factions.

Also I notice that people seem to misremember the NV ending slides, thinking that the Brotherhood always ends up raiding civilians for technology (something that just doesn't happen in Fallout 1 or 2, and only the Outcasts do it in 3).  If the NCR wins the dam, and there's a truce, the Brotherhood just helps the NCR patrol the roads.

If you establish an independent New Vegas, they do reclaim or steal technology from travellers.  Which really bugs me, because I don't think that really matches their lore at all.  I suppose it could be because House tried to kill them without any warning or negotiation.  So they might feel like the Independent Vegas isn't trustworthy enough for high technology.

So, what to expect from the Boston Brotherhood...  6 years after New Vegas, 10 years after Fallout 3.  The East Coast Brotherhood is almost naively kind and generous, so why would they be enemies in the teaser?  The Brotherhood Outcasts.  Chased out of the Capital Wasteland, they supposedly were headed back to the West Coast.  But it'd make more sense for them to head up to MIT.  They'd make great villains, with their open disdain for non-members and their hoarded technology...  And basically being a corrupted Brotherhood, lacking empathy. 

Their numbers were low, but maybe refugees from California have arrived.  That'd add some moral depth, since the NCR was literally hunting down and killing all Brotherhood members they could find.  The refugees would have a reason to be xenophobic (something the Outcasts kinda lacked, they were just "Hurr we're the best so we should have everything").

Hopefully it's possible to negotiate a peace, at least in the late game.  The Capital Wasteland Brotherhood would want to help with that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

I think one of the brotherhood endings for FO1 had then becoming some sort of extremists. No idea how they'll be handled in 4 though.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: GMG keys = HAPPENING
« Reply #2582 on: November 06, 2015, 12:26:04 pm »

I just know, if I can't have that flying airship, no-one can.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 06, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »

Well, now Im pissed at Amazon. Preorder the darn thing months ago, find out that we are getting our copy about a week after release.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2584 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:39 pm »

Well, now Im pissed at Amazon. Preorder the darn thing months ago, find out that we are getting our copy about a week after release.
cancel your preorder then...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: November 06, 2015, 01:41:10 pm »

Honestly.

Got my own GMG codes. They've got a 20% coupon until the 9th: SAVE20-NOVEMB-GAMING

Not sure if it works for FO4 though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 06, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »

The East Coast Brotherhood is almost naively kind and generous, so why would they be enemies in the teaser?
Keep in mind that the east coast brotherhood was quite prejudiced (they shot ghouls on sight, feral or not) and that the plot seems to revolve around synths. They might be openly hostile to synths (and to the Institute too, since the Brotherhood wants to control technology, good intentions or not).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 06, 2015, 02:13:40 pm »

I suspect that the Institute vs. Brotherhood conflict will start out as a cold war, as both sides scramble to salvage the nearby high technology and then either they find something so Hi-tech they then begin to skirmish and eventually war over, AND/OR the synths pull a SNATCHER and infiltrate both sides and push them towards war.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 06, 2015, 02:16:30 pm »

The East Coast Brotherhood is almost naively kind and generous, so why would they be enemies in the teaser?
Keep in mind that the east coast brotherhood was quite prejudiced (they shot ghouls on sight, feral or not) and that the plot seems to revolve around synths. They might be openly hostile to synths (and to the Institute too, since the Brotherhood wants to control technology, good intentions or not).

I think all brotherhood members operate on good intentions, even power-mad ones like Elijah. They just believe they are protecting humanity, even from itself. I believe there's a saying; the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »

They seemed perfectly nice in Fallout 2 :/  They distribute useful technology to help people, they just try to archive it first.  They want to eventually rebuild the world's high-tech infrastructure.  In the meantime they try to keep advanced military technology out of the hands of bandits.
(From what I understand, in Fallout 1 they give you a quest they don't expect you to complete.  But when you do, they're happy and make you a member, and the quest was actually very important)
They don't just give out advanced weapons nor armour, tho. Like they'll sell their trash, but that's it. And they trade the other tech for their own supplies (hence the caravan routes to their base in FO1), not distribute it. They're not selfless stupid. They themselves and their techno-fetishism take priority over the survival of randumbs. In FO1 they were too stingy to do more than clear out the outside of the military base, letting you do all the heavy lifting inside and then in the cathedral. They did even less than that in FO2, with even more emphasis on "go do this for us".

They recruit from locals, too.  Mostly in Fallout Tactics, but it's canon that they do it everywhere.  Anybody can join the Brotherhood if they're useful enough to research or protect.
Going by FO1 and 2, they pretty much only recruit super-humans, capable of taking down dozens of super mutants or enclave single-handed. Heck, you're the first outsider they accept ever in FO1. Meanwhile in FO3 they recruit a bunch of scrubs that all get wasted by a single behemoth. I think I know which Brotherhood would win in a fight.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: November 06, 2015, 02:40:08 pm »

Just pre-ordered an hour or so ago, cannot wait! :D

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 06, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »

Do remember that the Brotherhood is highly...Isolationist. They vary between chapters. Example being Mojave and Capital Wasteland being polar-fucking-opposites.

Now, what I suspect, is that the Brotherhood and possibly the Institute will be...
Right, you know the Stormcloak v. Empire thing in Skyrim? That.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 06, 2015, 04:31:01 pm »

Preloading is up.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 06, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »

If only I had preordered. Oh well, uninformed purchases are terrible anyway! :D
i can't take the waiting oh god
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: November 06, 2015, 04:36:13 pm »

With the preloading, I am now taking bets to see which comment preloaders on this thread will make first!

Will it be "This seems alright"? That's 1 to 4 odds. Could it be "This is the worst game ever, someone please kill me to end my undying torment"? That's 1 to 10 odds! Or maybe it'll be "This is the best game ever, Todd Howard have my children"? That's 1 to 50 odds.

Come one, come all!
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 462