Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803562 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #4335 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:43 am »

The starting power armor, the T-45, is pretty terrible. Even with full upgrades it still doesn't last particularly long, which makes it pretty useless for an extended engagement.

By the time you're facing enemies that you really want power armor to reliably survive, you'll usually have a chance to get a T-60 suit anyway, which provides a good amount of armor that actually lasts a while before breaking, assuming you don't end up in melee with a legendary deathclaw or something.
Nothing important here, move along.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: December 01, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »

I've been playing more with power armour on lately as well (my third restart finally gotten to the point where cores aren't as much of a deal). I really like how they feel. And how they look during dialogue (especially if you take the helmet off). Fought some ghouls in a sewer/utility tunnel type area and got lots of cool shots as my hulking silhouette moved them down by the number in the crowded subterranean corridors, illuminated only by the light of her own helmet-mounted flashlight.

It felt very wh40k-y indeed.
Love, scriver~

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: December 01, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

I cannot wait for the GECK to be released and pay the game with 3-5-10 time more enemy and sych :). STOP THE GREENTIDE!!!!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: December 01, 2015, 12:11:21 pm »

Mm. For all that people are complaining about how the dynamic of it shifted away from "best armor you only get at the end of the game", I think how Bethesda handled PA is one of the strongest points of FO4. As others have said, it feels genuinely meaty and stompy in a way that it never did before.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:46 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to remap settlement mode keys yet? The rest of the internet continues to be empty of aid and its annoying having to use an old controller when making a settlement because Todd hates lefties.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: December 01, 2015, 12:42:54 pm »

Oh derp.  I've got a BoS suit and a suit I found in a shipping container, but used the rusty T45 one instead.  In my defense, they stopped showing up on the map and I was only sure where the T45 was...  Also I didn't think about it :P

I did fine in combat because my weapons are pretty well modded.  I got a nice institute laser which deals 50 extra radiation per hit...  Made it into a rifle to make use of Commando, and it's working great (even against things I assume are radiation-resistant or immune).  It's even overcharged, despite my having only 2 SCIENCE, I think I found an overcharged capacitor elsewhere and swapped it in. 

I wish that scrapping a weapon would give you the mods instead of junk...  Having to craft replacement parts for a gun you don't want is silly.  Of course, that would make the crafting perks even less useful than they technically are (they're very convenient though).

Honestly most of the perks have been underwhelming, or well-balanced I guess.
5/5 Commando/Gunslinger/Rifleman: I waited a long time before getting Rifleman, and that was a mistake.  Since most weapons can be customized to be automatic/pistol/rifle, even without gun-nut, one of these is practically a must-have.
3/5 Locksmith/Hacker: I want to hack/unlock everything, just in case, but honestly the loot or route is usually meh.  And of course, the fourth ranks are shit.  Bobby pins are cheap and plentiful, and just back out of a computer on the last try.  Or savescum I guess.  If you hate the hacking game (I sorta like it) Nick can hack everything for you.
2/5 Lifegiver:  60HP for 3 ranks isn't that great, and the regen for rank 3 is slow.  Pretty sure it doesn't work in combat at all, so it only saves you a few healing items.
4/5 Attack Dog:  Rank one of this is so great that I don't regret taking it, even though I'm working with other companions now.  It stuns an enemy *and* makes them a lot easier to hit, for a decent amount of time.  Rank 2 and 3 sound bad.  Take with Lone Wanderer.
?/5 Lone Wanderer:  This looks amazing, once you know that Dogmeat *doesn't count*.  Really should have had him in the picture for it.
3/5 Mysterious Stranger:  This is mostly just fun.  Though occasionally it does come in useful...  The stranger can finish off an enemy with far more health than I expected.  And I just love Nick's reactions, and the silliness of it.  (It's also just rare enough that it's a pleasant surprise when it fires)
3/5 Medic:  Sorta a feat-tax.  Getting 60% from stimpacks is convenient, and 60% from radaway is actually almost useful.  Mostly needed for buying medical shops though (needs rank 2).
X/5 Local Leader:  Depends I guess.  If you want multiple settlements, having it at rank 2 is incredibly convenient for building them.  Wish it did more, though, I'd gladly pay another perk or assign more caravans to have more inventory shared.

1/5 Intimidation:  Absolutely crap.  Gives no XP, fails a lot, you could just shoot them instead, only works on humans (and ghouls?), GIVES NO XP.  At level 2 there's a *chance* that they'll start attacking their friends, but seems like 50%.  You don't even get ANY of their stuff, unless you murder them after...  And there's no consequence for doing that, by the way.  You can pick their pockets (worst case, they go hostile) but Piper and Nick gave me shit for that.  Shooting them in the face with their hands up, though?  No problemo.  Oh, and only works on enemies "below your level".  It's like Skyrim's illusion magic but even more meta and can't be boosted to be useful.  Can't believe I boosted CHA to 10 for this, going to ignore it.  Might reclaim my points eventually if I feel like it.

I assume with three ranks you can demand their stuff.  Third rank takes level FIFTY though, so whatever.  And again, no XP for resolving the conflict with 10 CHA.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:55 pm »

Wasteland Whisperer is fucking absurd. I remember a video of a guy running through one of those big super-mutant interiors making them all surrender and fight each other, then killing the one or two that lived. Get that instead of Intimidation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: December 01, 2015, 01:06:43 pm »

It works on super mutants!?  It says "creature" and the picture is a radscorpion...  Bluh...
Well, that wouldn't be *as* useless as Intimidation, since super mutants are bullet sponges.  Still only works on targets "below your level" though, and presumably is just as random, and you lose all that XP (and loot from all the ones who surrender (unless you murder them)).

...  The image of super mutants surrendering, though.  Yeah I'm totally going to try that :D  And maybe level 2 will actually be useful like you describe.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:43 am »

Nope it still sucks.  I guess it's okay mechanically for the reasons I expected, but the super mutants had NO LINES.  They just stand there mute, even if you try to talk with them.  Humans go "aah I surrendered already, please don't kill me!"  Super Mutants just fidget and stare at you.  Awful.

Also, damn Nick, I'm supposed to be following the BoS.  I even halfheartedly flirted with... Oh jeez I can't even remember his name anymore.  His story wasn't *terrible*, but Nick's is so much more interesting.  So tempted to walk away from the BoS and solve this mystery with Nick.  Not like the BoS ever gave a shit about my kid.  Nick would be a decent squeeze but I think he's a better partner.

I like Piper too, Nick's cooler though.

Paladin "dance" is pretty cute though, hopefully he sticks around whatever happens.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:49:38 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: December 02, 2015, 01:59:44 am »

Nick's quest is uhhh..... annoying to say the least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: December 02, 2015, 02:11:23 am »

I was referring more to the main quest, which he seems really into helping with.  His sidequest, which I just received recently, does look kinda...  tedious.  But hey, scrounging is what I do.
She/they

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: December 02, 2015, 02:29:13 am »

I like the game, I hate the terrible writing and lore.  But the game is good enough to stand on it's own, without having to be an exact continuation of the setting.  I would hugely appreciate it tho'; if in the future, Bethesda's writing staff could actually take the time to do even the slightest bit of research on the older games, and un-fuck the BoS.

I will try to avoid further commentary on this subject, as I know that most just want it left alone.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:52 am »

About settlements: One rather impressive construction. The guy has another equally impressive settlement...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: December 02, 2015, 03:09:52 am »

I like the game, I hate the terrible writing and lore.  But the game is good enough to stand on it's own, without having to be an exact continuation of the setting.  I would hugely appreciate it tho'; if in the future, Bethesda's writing staff could actually take the time to do even the slightest bit of research on the older games, and un-fuck the BoS.

I will try to avoid further commentary on this subject, as I know that most just want it left alone.

What? The brother hood of steel aren't Xenophobic morons?

Goodness if ONLY we had a faction that were xenophobic morons with lots of technology we could use... but NAH that doesn't exist.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:54 am »

Neo, do me a favor and don't bait me, my self control is pretty strained.

The Brotherhood aren't xenophobic.  They are isolationist (with a heavy pro-human bias.)  Until recently they didn't even have any weird 'murder everything non-human' element.

But that isn't even what I'm talking about, I don't really care about Bethesda's very poor writing, I care about the ongoing radical re-structuring of a group that is a direct outgrowth of the US Army into generic Spehss Muhrine stand-ins.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:19:28 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 462