Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804379 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4740 on: December 11, 2015, 11:33:12 am »

I have to admit... limiting Power Armor until way later would have probably been for the better.

Given that it trivializes most of the starting content.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: December 11, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

I don't really think so. Sure you'd start with one but you'd have at least 2 fusion cores at that point. By the time you get more, the content at that level is already trivial.

Also the base T-45 is piss weak and shreds like paper. Had to get it to at least C model and at least 8 cores before I feel confident riding around with it. By that time, you'd have a 4 crank musket and a combat rifle and the most of the north area are trivially weak already.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:07 am »

I got really lucky apparently.  I just jumped down like I was supposed to (thought I had to) and opened up with the 5mm (wasn't sure I could switch weapons, obviously wasn't supposed to).  The deathclaw ran around a lot, was distracted by other humans, only hit me once or twice.  It actually died right as my 5mm ammo ran out, which made me think the whole thing was heavily scripted.

Still, it is one of the more frustrating parts of the game. Whatever happened to alternative routes to quest completion, Bethesda? You couldn't set up a physics trap or something? Maybe talk Preston into sneaking to a closer position for sniping? I consider this evidence Bethesda's interest in / ability at making a proper RPG is still declining.

Right, set a trap for something that you (the character) not only don't know is there, but in all likelihood aren't even aware exists (you've been in cryo stasis for 200 years). "Hey Preston, stop guarding those whiny bitches and get ready to ambush something that I *know* is there because I read about it online/played this quest already. Don't worry, the raiders aren't going to sneak in and slaughter the Longs. Even if they did, nothing of value would be lost since all they do is complain. There's only one suit of power armor? Don't worry, you're immortal! We'll set up a tripwire trap with all those pipe-rifles I've been collecting! Trust me!"
But...  You do know enemies are coming, so a trap or proper ambush is totally reasonable.  Plus Mama Murphy warns you about "Death Itself" coming if you pass a speech check. 

>easy to cheese
>Whatever happened to alternative routes

How'd you expect to win? Boot up your CASIE aug and talk it to death? It's a DEATHCLAW. The alternative to fighting toe-to-toe is to cheesily shoot it from a position it can't reach.
It's kinda a shame that you *have* to kill it.  Otherwise you could...
* Lure it away, meet up at Sanctuary later (Agility/endurance)
* See that it's there and hide, letting it take out the raiders and leave (Perception/agility)
* Set up a proper ambush with Preston (Charisma/intelligence)

And the explosive perk could give some clue about the cars, since it's the beginning of the game and all.
Heck have it be "wounded", such that the Wasteland Whisperer perk auto-succeeds against it.
They wanted to show off power armor instead of the SPECIAL system though, which is kinda a shame in my opinion.

Of course, that power armor is pretty crappy, so I didn't really mind being given it.  I don't know where people are finding all these abundant fusion cores, except shops.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: December 11, 2015, 11:57:17 am »

I don't really think so. Sure you'd start with one but you'd have at least 2 fusion cores at that point. By the time you get more, the content at that level is already trivial.

Also the base T-45 is piss weak and shreds like paper. Had to get it to at least C model and at least 8 cores before I feel confident riding around with it. By that time, you'd have a 4 crank musket and a combat rifle and the most of the north area are trivially weak already.

That is something I realised later on. While the armour still felt a bit given to the player the limiting factors of low starting armour and requiring fusion cells makes it more understandable. It might've been the way the NPCs kind of say "Oh by the way, there's an untouched suit of power armour on the roof from a crashed vertibird. Go wear it to deal with the bandits".
Why didn't the militiaman wear the armour? I don't think there is any special restrictions on wearing them. Anymore that is, besides the "Power Armour Training" from previous games.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: December 11, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »

Which were such a big deal, btw, that the NCR was *ripping the servos out* of power armor because they lacked the training to use it properly.  (Which really bothered me as a technophile, and BoS fanboy)

I guess maybe we can retroactively explain that as "they lacked fusion cores"...  But that doesn't really make sense either.  If anyone should have plenty of cores, it's the NCR.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 11, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »

In Vegas, I remember using the 9mm pistol and the varmint rifle for hours until I finally got that service rifle, which was a bit of a step up, and it was ages until I got some decent energy weaponry. Having a plasma rifle or somesuch off the bat would've made the game easier, but it wouldn't have made it more fun just because FEATURES.

Just FYI, the energy and normal gun lines are meant to be the same power level in NV. (Rope kid, aka  Joshua Sawyer (Project director of NV) mentioned this in several places). So you either choose energy weapons, or guns, (or any mellee skill). That is why you can start with a laser pistol (if you tag energy weapons iirc). And laser pistols and 9 mm pistols do the same dps. The weapon progression in NV was pretty well done. (If you like not being able to find OP weapons at lvl 1 of course).

If you didn't find any decent energy weapons, you should have looted more dead bright followers. (Look under the bridge near Sloan). :).

I have been Soyweiser, your guide to the world of fallout NV facts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

* Set up a proper ambush with Preston (Charisma/intelligence)

Preston is nearly useless in an actual fight. You would be better off teaming up with a desk.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 11, 2015, 12:53:55 pm »

In Vegas, I remember using the 9mm pistol and the varmint rifle for hours until I finally got that service rifle, which was a bit of a step up, and it was ages until I got some decent energy weaponry. Having a plasma rifle or somesuch off the bat would've made the game easier, but it wouldn't have made it more fun just because FEATURES.

Just FYI, the energy and normal gun lines are meant to be the same power level in NV. (Rope kid, aka  Joshua Sawyer (Project director of NV) mentioned this in several places). So you either choose energy weapons, or guns, (or any mellee skill). That is why you can start with a laser pistol (if you tag energy weapons iirc). And laser pistols and 9 mm pistols do the same dps. The weapon progression in NV was pretty well done. (If you like not being able to find OP weapons at lvl 1 of course).

If you didn't find any decent energy weapons, you should have looted more dead bright followers. (Look under the bridge near Sloan). :).

I have been Soyweiser, your guide to the world of fallout NV facts.

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for that little tidbit, I always put more points into guns so I always started with the 9mm. That's way better than the system of progression you get in FO4.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 11, 2015, 01:43:35 pm »

Though I'm past one hundred thousand views
I'm feeling very still
And I think my hype train knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows

Hype Control to Major Todd
Your circuits' dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Todd?

Here am I sitting in my hype train
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

God, I hope somebody takes those lyrics, sets them to the original music, and makes a YouTube animated video based upon it.
Please, somebody, please.   :D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: December 11, 2015, 02:08:40 pm »

Though I'm past one hundred thousand hype
I'm waiting for a deal
And I think the steam page loads so very slow
Tell the devs I love them very much, they know

PR team to Major Todd
An alpha's leaked, and it's all wrong
Can you hear me?  It's a bomb.

Here am I sifting through my steam list
Full of shovelware
Watching Red Vs Blue
Since there's nothing else to do

(i'm sorry)
She/they

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: December 11, 2015, 02:49:51 pm »

Which were such a big deal, btw, that the NCR was *ripping the servos out* of power armor because they lacked the training to use it properly.  (Which really bothered me as a technophile, and BoS fanboy)

I guess maybe we can retroactively explain that as "they lacked fusion cores"...  But that doesn't really make sense either.  If anyone should have plenty of cores, it's the NCR.
I thought the protagonist is a war veteran and that's why they can use it?

but then again, every companion can use power armor without needing training. Which IIRC they could do in previous Fallout games as well.

Both lady and manbutt are war veterans as far as I am concerned. The lady especially should be given an honorary purple heart for marrying Nate in the first place.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 11, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »

So, when I try to place a recruitment beacon on Spectacle Island, I just... can't. I have the resources, but it doesn't actually show up and pressing E does nothing. Bug or feature?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: December 11, 2015, 03:25:37 pm »

I made a recruitment beacon on spectacle island this morning. Saved and reload. Leave and come back. If you can't make it, then it doesn't show up as avaialble like in the Airport Ruins or Home Plate settlements.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: December 11, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »

I thought the protagonist is a war veteran and that's why they can use it?

but then again, every companion can use power armor without needing training. Which IIRC they could do in previous Fallout games as well.

Both lady and manbutt are war veterans as far as I am concerned. The lady especially should be given an honorary purple heart for marrying Nate in the first place.

Considering that the non-chosen character is the one holding the baby, and keeping in mind traditional gender roles in the 50s, I can't really imagine that the wife was the intended Sole Survivor, much less a war veteran.

There's also the fact that the man delivers the "war never changes" speech during the intro. Btw if you go to the veteran hall (the fraternal post 115) before the bridge to diamond city, you can use the mic and he says the line again, and also there is an entry about the speech in one of the computers there. Coincidentally, the Museum of Freedom in Concord was where he was supposed to deliver the speech the day the bombs fell, and I don't need to tell you that this is the first place you'll go to during the main quest.

I mean, sure, you can play the woman, but it makes as much sense RP-wise as using the cannibal perk.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »

Yea the woman is a lawyer.  And I've been playing a re-imagining of my old Assassin's guild archer from oblivion/skyrim, so I'm playing female.  There seem to be a few sidequests in the game where it seems to be assuming I'm playing the male.  Such as some snarky remarks about my char being army instead of navy while aboard the U.S.S. Constitution after some persuade checks.  Despite the npc that introduced the quest to me knowing that she's a lawyer.

Spoiler: Silver Shroud (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 462