Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803592 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Robots, Cages and Islands
« Reply #5430 on: February 17, 2016, 02:49:26 am »

Here's another thing people seem to be forgetting: These are not the only DLC that will come out for FO4. They are merely the first to be announced. So please, stop the pre-emptive chain rattling of "I bought the season pass for this?"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:51:15 am by Krevsin »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:48 am »

Dead Money on the other hand, I only remember it because of how hard it sucked.
Am I the only person in these forums who actually likes Dead Money?

It was a complete genre-shift. It went from your standard Bethsoft RPG to something closer to survival horror (the horror is perhaps stretching it a bit, though). The three(/four) companions were actually interesting and the areas were well designed in a way that added quite a bit of tension. And if you were for whatever reason playing hardcorde (as I was when I first did it), you'll find out that the Sierra Madre is perhaps the only place in the game where it actually really works. You need to keep scrounging for chips to get food and equipment, being anywhere outside will constantly drain your health and ghost people and traps get terrifying when you only get healing over time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: February 17, 2016, 04:57:05 am »

I quite liked Dead Money. It was basically Bioshock done in New Vegas' engine with a fallout flair.

What I did not like were the missions in which you had companions with you. Because if they died, so did you and the AI in NV.... well, least said, the better.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:34 am »

I dunno, I just found Dead Money to be a boring slog. The setting didn't interest me and neither did the companions. I just wanted to get out of there and get on to Old World Blues. It was something I completely avoided when I did my second playthrough of NV.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:55 am »

I can attest that DM is a nightmare in Hardcore mode. All the Doctor's Bags I needed.....

The companions aren't too bad, though. Usually they only died if I messed up or got caught by a few goddamn firebombs.
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: February 17, 2016, 06:41:32 am »

I really liked Dead Money too. Companions were good, art was good, area design was good. A change of pace from the Nevada experience. Enemies that probably would have been scarier if they hadn't reminded me so much about the Shalebridge Cradle (which was much creepier).

In fact, the most interesting parts of OWB was the ones related to DM characters. Otherwise I found OWB to be mostly just a slot through boring, tedious enemies, gameplay-wise, with very little variation.
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:52 am »

I mostly enjoyed OWB for its writing, wacky sense of humour and the zeerust turned up to 11. Gameplay-wise it was almost entirely fetchquesting through very difficult to traverse areas, especially on higher difficulties and with certain rebalance mods.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: February 17, 2016, 07:57:45 am »

I dont get folks being pissy over the DLC. Its never required to play the game. The game wont become unplayable because you don't have the DLC. If it doesn't appeal to you, then you probably shouldnt get it. If you already opted into season pass, then you were either dumb, or ignorant. Dumb if you were aware of Skyrim, FO3, DLC and for some reason surprise that FO4 DLC is similar. Ignorant if you bought into it, before knowing what the DLC were.

I'm not super happy with the price hike, but there is enough of a grace period to get it before the price hike that its not that bad. I find myself more curious why Bethesda went with upping the cost of the season pass, instead of opting to making a season 2 pass, which we've seen some games do.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: February 17, 2016, 08:47:14 am »

I'm not super happy with the price hike, but there is enough of a grace period to get it before the price hike that its not that bad. I find myself more curious why Bethesda went with upping the cost of the season pass, instead of opting to making a season 2 pass, which we've seen some games do.

Because this way the can get a "get it before it gets more expensive!" rush of customers.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:07 am »

Also, a season pass usually implies that it will contain all DLC, instead of just some (Borderlands 2 was a big offender here).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: February 17, 2016, 09:44:36 am »

I mostly enjoyed OWB for its writing, wacky sense of humour and the zeerust turned up to 11. Gameplay-wise it was almost entirely fetchquesting through very difficult to traverse areas, especially on higher difficulties and with certain rebalance mods.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who had problems with Old World Blues, but then I didn't really like it much at all.  Those difficult to traverse areas were just too irritating for me.  If I see another robot scorpion that can absorb 3 magazines of ammo from my most powerful weapons I'll scream.

Actually, that is probably the biggest problem I've had with the DLC of all of the Fallout games.  The combat difficulty is usually completely shot at high levels and it's very distracting for me.  I know it's a game and I'm supposed to be able to look past it in favor of story or setting, but I don't take kindly to mutant hillbillies that can readily shoot through power armor with shotguns, unarmored tribals that can absorb an entire magazine of bullets before dying or unending trickles of robot scorpions that are even worse bullet sponges and, of course, can punch / sting / whatever the heck they did right through power armor.

At least I think I had power armor on then.  I know half of the DLCs took your stuff away to try to maintain game balance, but then cranked enemy HP and damage up to 11 anyway.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:50:26 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:00 am »

Because this way the can get a "get it before it gets more expensive!" rush of customers.

"Not enough people are buying our season pass. Let's force them with a price hike and planned content valued at less than the price hike."

Don't preorder video games.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: February 17, 2016, 10:46:21 am »

Don't buy season passes without knowing what's coming up either, both have become rather prevalent lately (Specially those awful companies that produce multiple season passes)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: February 17, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »

The game wont become unplayable because you don't have the DLC.
Bethesda games are possibly the one situation where that's not a good argument. Many mods will depend on DLC, especially large overhauls whose creators don't want to bother maintaining multiple compatibility options. Given that the modding options are one of the biggest draws, that's kind of a big deal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:32 pm »

The game wont become unplayable because you don't have the DLC.
Bethesda games are possibly the one situation where that's not a good argument. Many mods will depend on DLC, especially large overhauls whose creators don't want to bother maintaining multiple compatibility options. Given that the modding options are one of the biggest draws, that's kind of a big deal.
So wait for the DLC packs to come out and get them when they're on sale. And they most definitely will be on sale.

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 462