Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803561 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6870 on: September 21, 2017, 09:35:07 pm »

Finally got FO4 to look pretty good on top of the gameplay mods.

There's a bit of discoloration because it's really fuckin' dark and Steam screenshots aren't the best to begin with.

Spoiler: Taster (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: September 22, 2017, 02:33:55 am »

is that frikkin re7

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:18 am »

Nah, this cool mod launched in May of this year. It's a combination weather/light overhaul, ENB preset, and dynamic music system intended to make FO4 feel like a horror game. Works really well with the directional flashlight mod.

Also using the new full-package texture overhaul too, ofc.

3. Run Resize Enable

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: September 22, 2017, 08:34:10 am »

is that frikkin re7

funny, i was thinking along the lines of STALKER when i saw that.

Now I made myself want to mod FO4 into STALKER: Shadow of Fallout.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: September 22, 2017, 10:01:30 am »

Ooh man, I hope they go all the way with it.

Increased bullet damage, less bullet sponge enemies, remove all the comedic sound effects like the vats sound, etc.

Shit looks cool.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: September 22, 2017, 10:03:30 am »

get out of here Survivor
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: September 22, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »

Nah, this cool mod launched in May of this year. It's a combination weather/light overhaul, ENB preset, and dynamic music system intended to make FO4 feel like a horror game. Works really well with the directional flashlight mod.

What sort of framerate do you get, and what rig are you using?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: September 22, 2017, 12:39:15 pm »

Increased bullet damage, less bullet sponge enemies, remove all the comedic sound effects like the vats sound, etc.

Shit looks cool.
I run on Survival with some tweaks (max damage for both the player and enemies, a save item because fuck bed saving), a mod that adds a configurable bullet-time alternative to VATS (as in, you select how much it slows things down and how many AP it drains per second), and a mod that integrated non-VATS crits with the perk system. It's basically all the way there except for the lack of leaning and the abundance of ammo.

Around 45-55fps in the open world, 55-60fps in interiors.

CPU: i7-4790
GPU: GTX970
16GB RAM

Also running stuff like the unofficial patch, Vivid all-in-one (with the "best choice" package that improves textures and performance from vanilla rather than the 2k or 4k textures on everything), TrueGrass, maxed draw distance for everything but grass (and grass at ~70%), a bunch of minor graphical bumps like IBT, long range bullet holes, shell rain, high-res body textures, a bunch of high-res weapons and armor.

So it actually handles it pretty well. Performs better than I was getting from vanilla and lightly modded, I think mostly thanks to the Vivid optimizations. And the fact that Pilgrim's weather has a lot of fog and rain means that you don't have to spend much time looking at the fugly long-range terrain that looks like someone with scabby pockmarked skin.

3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »

I had a bit of a playthrough going but I really want to start a new one with that and the Horizons Survival mod a few pages back.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: September 23, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

Make sure you're using whatever that dynamic shadow draw distance mod was called. I have a GTX970 and it helped my framerate keep a steady 60 in cities with the graphics almost maxed out otherwise (at 1080p). It's especially noticeable because city areas are where there are the most shadows which cause huge framerate hits, but you can't actually see most of them because they're behind things. I think the vanilla game lacks any kind of culling for lighting effects.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:46 am »

Shit looks cool.
I run on Survival with some tweaks (max damage for both the player and enemies, a save item because fuck bed saving), a mod that adds a configurable bullet-time alternative to VATS (as in, you select how much it slows things down and how many AP it drains per second), and a mod that integrated non-VATS crits with the perk system. It's basically all the way there except for the lack of leaning and the abundance of ammo.

Around 45-55fps in the open world, 55-60fps in interiors.

CPU: i7-4790
GPU: GTX970
16GB RAM

Also running stuff like the unofficial patch, Vivid all-in-one (with the "best choice" package that improves textures and performance from vanilla rather than the 2k or 4k textures on everything), TrueGrass, maxed draw distance for everything but grass (and grass at ~70%), a bunch of minor graphical bumps like IBT, long range bullet holes, shell rain, high-res body textures, a bunch of high-res weapons and armor.

So it actually handles it pretty well. Performs better than I was getting from vanilla and lightly modded, I think mostly thanks to the Vivid optimizations. And the fact that Pilgrim's weather has a lot of fog and rain means that you don't have to spend much time looking at the fugly long-range terrain that looks like someone with scabby pockmarked skin.

I might pick up Vivid. I have an i5-4690k, so like one rung below your CPU, and a GTX 1060; graphically it's vanilla, ultra @ 1080p, and I get 60fps most areas, which usually stutters periodically, dropping as low as 24fps in parts of Boston proper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:59 am »

Make sure you're using whatever that dynamic shadow draw distance mod was called. I have a GTX970 and it helped my framerate keep a steady 60 in cities with the graphics almost maxed out otherwise (at 1080p). It's especially noticeable because city areas are where there are the most shadows which cause huge framerate hits, but you can't actually see most of them because they're behind things. I think the vanilla game lacks any kind of culling for lighting effects.
Yes! I forgot to mention this, it's fantastic. http://www.dev-c.com/fallout4/shadowboost/

I might pick up Vivid. I have an i5-4690k, so like one rung below your CPU, and a GTX 1060; graphically it's vanilla, ultra @ 1080p, and I get 60fps most areas, which usually stutters periodically, dropping as low as 24fps in parts of Boston proper.
Definitely do. I gained around 5fps just going from a mix of vanilla and the various Vivid packs from older releases to the all-on-one Vivid with more coverage.

3. Run Resize Enable

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:28 pm »

That's cool. So the shadowboost doesn't add culling, it just dynamically adjusts the shadow distance to achieve a given FPS.  In the end, it's probably almost the same thing most of the time, since the places with too many shadows tend to have a lot of walls too.

My main issue with this game now that I have a pretty good gaming laptop is the damn load times.  My god, I can only play the game through about 5 or 6 big map loads before I'm just sick of it.  I like survival mode, but the no fast travel means a hell of a lot more area transitions and loading.  Is there anything I can do to make the loading faster?

It seems like it takes a minute or so to load the transition from diamond city to outside, for example.  Even things like leaving the dugout inn and going into diamond city take longer than they seem like they should.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: September 26, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »

You just bought a gaming laptop that doesn't have an ssd?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:35 pm »

I originally did, but I replaced it after a few months. Night and day difference on Windows 8, even though I voided the shit out of the warranty by doing so.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 462