Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 222552 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

So, inspired by Skyrunner and MonkeyHead on the #Bay12LB IRC, I have decided to make a Bay 12 RPG in RPG Maker VX.

I'm by no means a good programmer at all, or a good artist, so... perhaps those of you with spriting talents could aid me here.

I was thinking that I make some utterly generic RPG, involving the forum culture and stuff like that. Something like the forumites live in some kind of fort that gets attacked by somethin' or other. Everyone comments on how old and cliched that is... etc.

I was also thinking that we could have various forumites as PCs. PCs get their own sprites. NPC forumites get their own sprites too.

So what d'yall think? I think it could be amusing. Big Bad can be Armok. Necro910 has to get in there somehow, as a boss who spams Magma based attacks.
Bolded below indicates finished sprites. Italic indicates semi-finished sprites.

Forumites dwarfed in the game (PC): 9/10 (Exkirby, The Fool, FuzzyZergling, GreatOrder, Svampapa, Darvi, USEC, Zanzetzuken, Dermonster, Neonivek as Evander Justice
Forumites dwarfed in the game (NPC): 11/20 (Ultimuh, Xeron, Furtuka, Solifuge, Monkeyhead, Alfie, Somestupidguy, Gatleos, Haspen, Skyrunner, Urist McScoopbeard, JohnFalcon
Forumites making an appearance elsewhere: Freeformschooler
Forumites as enemies (MSH, Max and their final form Maximum Metal Slime Hunt Zero, Zanzetzuken, Dermonster.)

Ponies are part of the core kingdom. The darkling kingdom has wolves, but I guess Trolls (friendly ones) wouldn't be unfitting. Penguins would be neutral, since they're both black and white :P

Will the Main Main Main character lean toward the Dark Side, willingly letting the Troll Faction flood the World Fortress with magma? Or will he/she take command of the Deep Dwarves, forming a Valiant Liberal Crime Squad to take down the Troll King once and for all? Now featuring: RELATIONSHIP VALUES! Choose to reject Descan's advances and chase the much more timid Kaijyuu!

I could do this all day.

Also I went and generated a sprite and portrait for myself

If anyone who's skilled at spritework could edit them to include my hat from my avatar I would be very grateful

Scripts used:

Yanfly Engine Melody - massive combat system overhaul, among other things. Found in this gargantuan script:
- YEM Core Fixes - fixes bugs and stuff in VX itself
- YEM Custom Message Melody - adds extensions to the message system, allowing use of icons and more effects
- YEM Restored Functions - restores functions found in earlier versions of RPG Maker that were removed for some reason
- YEM Equipment Overhaul - adds 'affinities', so certain classes get bonuses or penalties when using a particular piece of armor, and provides bugfixes for the armor system.
- YEM Extended Movement (aka YEM 8D) - adds support for eight directional movement. If coupled with YEM, allows sprites to have animations similar to those found in 2003, with more than merely idling in place.
- YEM Item Overhaul - Adds fixes to the item menu, allows extended information to be put in place for items
- YEM Main Menu Melody - fixes up the main menu
- YEM Victory Aftermath - I really, really love this script. It shows more information about what happens just after a battle; opening a window that shows what items you got, how much exp, and letting your characters comment on the battle, as in they can say 'Oh hooray I got more exp', 'ooh loot' 'i leveled up, wahey!', etc. I'm pretty sure it can even be tailored per enemy, but I'm not 100% sure.
-YEM Snapshot Battle Back - Removes the INCREDIBLY cheesy radial blur effects found in battle and replaces them with a snapshot of the map one is currently on.

I'm thinking of getting a few other scripts, but I'm not sure what. If anyone is prepared to do voice acting I could get Namkcor's Battle Cry script, but would be a bit silly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:09:49 am by Reudh »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:56:31 am »

Duty bound to follow with anticipation.
This is a blank sig.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:58:54 am »

A post, to watch, at first.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:42 am »

Interesting.. So what exactly does making me into an NPC entails?
How useful would the NPC be?
Do we decide what each our PC is capable of?
What we do if we are an NPC?
And if an NPC, what signifigance do we have in the story?
And can NPCs be.. of a sinister kind? (or a boss/miniboss/optional boss even?)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:31:11 am »

I suppose:

If one is a PC, then they can come up with skills and character that they think fits them best.
If they're an NPC, it could vary. I guess given they're a named NPC they'd get at least some plot significance.
If you are made into an NPC, I would require a sprite, roughly similar in style to this. A PC would require that, and an extended sprite sheet like this to depict various poses in battle.

And if you want to be an enemy, then I guess so! Being that it's planned to be a fairly generic RPG you'd have to be pretty mookish though if you were an enemy, perhaps boss at best.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:38 am »

Another question.. is it just VX or is it the new VX Ace (Basically an expensive uppgrade.)?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:49:47 am »

Just VX. I can't afford Ace. I was given VX as a gift by a friend a coupla years back.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:02 am »

Hmmmm.....can i be the shopkeeper ?
I'll come up with some sprites as soon as i can

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:00:17 am »

Ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:59 am »

Considering my posting habits I'd probably be some recurring NPC of sorts.

Suggestions:
  • Armok is either the BB or a plot-important NPC
  • Necro is a subterranean Bonus Boss
  • Jifodus is an extremely elusive Bonus Boss (think that one Mammoth from Live A Live)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:42:41 am by Darvi »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:20 am »

Posting to give encouragement.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »

Posting to be the hero. Time to get sprite making...
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 01:57:05 pm »

I want to get in on this as a hero, but I don't think that I'd make a good one. Let me do a bit of research on RPGMaker VX first and then I'll say whether I'll be a mook or a NPC.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »

I would be a terrible hero. I have neither the drive nor the empathy to be one.

On the other hand, I have lots of unfocused energy and cannot really do one thing for a long time. Essentially, a bard without the musical or supporting abilities :V
The most fitting would probably be the person who's always at the place where the heroes have to go next ("How the fuck did you get past that locked door that we just opened?""...Dunno.").

Almost like Gary Oak, but without the obligatory fights. Actually, maybe even with them.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »

Dwarf me as a friendly NPC dragon who assists you, or a wise old planeswalker who you can get advice from.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 111