Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 88188 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2012, 05:24:54 am »

how much did it cost? im not exactly rich so i prefer building my own stuff, more for less, and always exactly as you want it, just have to get the few thousand ill need for my ultimate gaming computer that will be able to run DF at THOUSANDS OF FPS!!!!!!!! and less importantly any other game released by any company for the next few years...

How much did it cost? Well, it seems like we live in different countries, so it may be best to google. This "Zenbook" (what an auspicious name, too!) seems to cost about $1200 in the USA.

I can run more tests if you like Kohaku. But since my results seem to be so much outside the norm with tens of thousands of FPS and no significant difference, I'm not sure if they're useful at all.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:19 am »

How much did it cost? Well, it seems like we live in different countries, so it may be best to google. This "Zenbook" (what an auspicious name, too!) seems to cost about $1200 in the USA.

I can run more tests if you like Kohaku. But since my results seem to be so much outside the norm with tens of thousands of FPS and no significant difference, I'm not sure if they're useful at all.

Why don't you try running some different experiments, instead of testing results?

For example, get the fork save, and try testing giant caravans.  Go to the creature_domestic.txt and creature_equipment.txt and add two zeros to their TRADE_CAPACITY.  That should result in a hundred times more objects arriving with the caravan, resulting in plenty of possible caravan overflow that might generate lag.

Let that run for as many years as you can stand.  Try for at least 10. 

Please keep a before-and-after set of saves for comaprison.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:36:49 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:42 pm »

Ran your med contraction for a year on my athlon II 2.8 Ghz with 4 GB DDR3 1333 RAM...

Control:
Started out with 290-315, which slowly decreased to 205-215 by the start of summer. About halfway through summer it shot up quickly to 310-345, usually on low side of the scale, but regularly popping up to the high end. By the start of autumn it was steadily 330-340 but occasionally spiking to 345-350. It rained and dropped to 215-230, staying there after the weather cleared, with occasional spikes to ~260. Rained again, then shot up to 310-330 after that rain ended. Was fluctuating about 225-275 right before the caravan showed up, then 150-185 while they were unloading. Was 220-240 at the start of winter. Dropped slightly to 210-235 while the merchants packed, increasing to 290-315 once they were gone. Slowly decreased to 245-275 by the start of spring. Finally talked to the liaison right then, with an immediate increase to 300-320.

End state:
Started at 240-260, but rapidly increased to 320-335. Stayed there for a short while, then would slowly spike down to 275 a few times before ending up steady at 285-300. Was at 235-245 before the caravan showed up, and stayed the same while they were there. Shortly after winter there was a human interest story as Generic 12 and Generic 13 got married. I d'awwwwwed.  Its nice to know that even in this unholy pit of sweatshop despair love can blossom. Was at 245-260 as the merchants packed to leave, then raised to 285-295 when they left, with slow spikes up to 295-315, before staying steady at 285-300 after talking to the liaison. That slowly decreased to 270-280 after the start of spring. with spikes as low as 250. Summer came, and the framerate dropped down to 265-285, but would spike as high as 310. However, it slowly dropped to be around 220-235 by autumn.

It seems to me that this experiment would be better done on a map with no rain, as not only would the FPS drop during rain, but sometimes I would see the range of FPS be 10-30 lower after the rain ended, before slowly raising to prerain numbers, if it would raise at all. I also noticed that the control never really spiked significantly downward (i.e. more than 10) during the control, but would during the end state.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2012, 02:41:00 pm »

I'm going back to finish the atom-smashing experiment now, with [SPEED:0] dwarves this time.

The game runs much slower like this, as the craftsmen built a much larger number of goblets and there are much more pathfinds taking place per average frame.  I'll only keep it like this for a year or two, but since I'm crushing about 10 times as many objects in the same period of time, it should produce results (if any) faster.

Once this is done, I want to work on different experiments, like evaporating/melting materials.  I figure it would be faster to just set objects to evaporate than it would be to magma dump things, since that's basically testing the same temperature-based destruction, anyway, and it wouldn't have to involve the extra step of needing to actually dump objects, which requires manually stopping the game to designate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »

Why don't you try running some different experiments, instead of testing results?

For example, get the fork save, and try testing giant caravans.  Go to the creature_domestic.txt and creature_equipment.txt and add two zeros to their TRADE_CAPACITY.  That should result in a hundred times more objects arriving with the caravan, resulting in plenty of possible caravan overflow that might generate lag.

Let that run for as many years as you can stand.  Try for at least 10. 

Please keep a before-and-after set of saves for comaprison.

Thanks!

I started running it as you described.

However, strangely, after some in-game time the FPS dropped from the 10ks into hovering ~ 200.

There's only two explanations I can think of - either I forgot to unpause the previous time (I wonder if I could be that silly :D) or it only started some pathfinding routine when I locked the door. Well, we'll see how it goes. Unless I fall asleep.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:11 pm »

I think I have something.

I made caravans bring 1,000 times the normal amount of items with the previous mod.

Before a caravan arrived, the game was running at about 200 FPS. After the caravan and diplomat had left, the FPS is still lingering at 95. While the caravan was here, it was around 50. I can post the save file if you think it would be helpful.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2012, 07:00:11 pm »

seems to imply that atom smashing and caravans leaving delete items in the same way, now we must atom smash the caravans to further test this.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »

I think I have something.

I made caravans bring 1,000 times the normal amount of items with the previous mod.

Before a caravan arrived, the game was running at about 200 FPS. After the caravan and diplomat had left, the FPS is still lingering at 95. While the caravan was here, it was around 50. I can post the save file if you think it would be helpful.

If you could, that would be helpful.

Also, let the diplomat in, and go through all his speech, he adds lag trying to pathfind to you infinitely if you don't let him in.

Having several years of data to see if it has a lingering impact is important, as well.

I have atom-smash tests complete.

I have a control save that runs at a usual 500-600 FPS around early spring.  I am advancing my experimental save to the end of the year as well for the closest comparison I can make. 

Atom-smash experiment after I have shut off the atom smasher, and eliminated the goblets seems to start the year bouncing around between 250 and 350.

I'm going to leave this running for a while longer to see if it will spike back up in the summer, or something, but in the meantime, I'd like to see if others get the same result I'm getting on the atom-smash test. 

Atom Smasher Experiment saves on DFFD

I'd like to see if someone else gets results on this test, as well, before I go announcing something.

EDIT:

I keep getting inconsistent readings on this, however. 

First, I had a really slow game - 200 or so, but then, I end process the game, and reload the same save, and now, in the same season, I'm getting 400, and it's basically made up most of the FPS losses. 

The same thing with those medium contraction tests - when I play back the same saves over and over, I lose all the FPS loss.

Maybe there's just a gremlin in the machine and so many variables beyond my control in this that I'm getting too much noise interfering making my data register false positives or false negatives when I should be getting positives, or else there actually is something about the way that the game is saved that "heals" the damage to the FPS that I've inflicted by doing all these tests.  Perhaps the vectors are not repopulated in the same order between saves, and that is performing an inadvertent clean-up function which results in a FPS boost if you save, close the game, and then reload?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:18:26 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:16 am »

Perhaps the vectors are not repopulated in the same order between saves, and that is performing an inadvertent clean-up function which results in a FPS boost if you save, close the game, and then reload?
Quite possible, I checked my FPS after saving DF, restarting computer (as lag may be caused by memory leaks from DF or something else). Caravan test looks quite promising, I will try to check this one.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2012, 01:17:10 am »

Quite possible, I checked my FPS after saving DF, restarting computer (as lag may be caused by memory leaks from DF or something else). Caravan test looks quite promising, I will try to check this one.

It's not really memory leaks, it's that the lag I am looking for would be specifically caused by the vectors not being sorted properly in all conditions - if the act of saving and loading results in completely restructuring the vectors from the beginning, then it means that this isn't the "memory leak" we are looking for.

I'm going to start on the temperature test.  If others could test the atom smasher test for what FPS they get, it would help.

Well, I got myself down to 4 FPS rather quickly by making 1,000,000 objects that are melted, but not going away. 

Liquids disappear on the season change, right?  Maybe I should drastically cut down on the number of stones I'm melting...  I'm still at the 16th of Granite.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:56:34 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2012, 01:27:15 am »

It's not really memory leaks, it's that the lag I am looking for would be specifically caused by the vectors not being sorted properly in all conditions - if the act of saving and loading results in completely restructuring the vectors from the beginning, then it means that this isn't the "memory leak" we are looking for.
Yes, but it is an attempt to block all influences that may or may not affect FPS. Argh, I found two new (I hope) bugs during checking why my modded dwarves are not sending caravans.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:31:36 am by Kogut »
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2012, 01:50:42 am »

This is great. I hope we uncover some things. For now, posting to watch. but I'll see if there's any way I can contribute, with my rusty old comp.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2012, 02:00:56 am »

With [TRADE_CAPACITY:15000000] caravan arrived with only 31 pages of goods - but FPS drop is still noticeable. I may try to trade away products to increase FPS drop.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:15 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/?eceu6k6kvbk94zc

Here you are. The starting save was the fork save. The capacities were multiplied by 1000. The caravan arrived and left peacefully. A diplomat arrived and left unhappy after I sacked the outpost leader to get rid of him. Before the caravan arrived fps was at 200 or so. After the caravan left fps is hovering at around 90 or so for me. Checked three times.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:06 am »

I confirmed permanent FPS drop after caravan visit, 1900-2100 to 1700-1800 FPS. NW_Kohaku - I think that you can request reopening of http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5637
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:23:36 am by Kogut »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18