Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: [Modding][Premium Dwarf Fortress][Steam Workshop](Done!) Raw Changes Superthread  (Read 19336 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A little off topic, but is there any equivalent to the old object testing arena?  I don't see anything obvious while poking through the menus.

If not, what's the workflow to build mods now?  I read that the game will reload changes to mods that you make in the installed_mods folder, but is our only option to build a mod, generate a new world, start a fort and tweak things while hoping that it doesn't lead to save incompatibility or crashes?
Tarn posted a roadmap over at Steam with 50.02 update:

Q: Will there be adventure mode? Classic mode? Arena?

Yep, yep, and yep, but in the order of: Classic (quite soon), Arena (soonish), and then (much further away because it has a lot more left to do) Adventure. When Classic’s done, it will also be available as a stand-alone, free download, on the Bay 12 website.

Manadras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Anyone know how to add the Audible Alerts to an ongoing game? Editing vanilla sounds_standard (by adding the entries from Audible Alerts) doesn't seem to work.

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone know how to add the Audible Alerts to an ongoing game? Editing vanilla sounds_standard (by adding the entries from Audible Alerts) doesn't seem to work.

The save keeps track of what mods were enabled during worldgen. The only way I know of to add a new mod to the save is to add the mod's files to a mod the save wants to load in installed_mods. I haven't tried this, but since the vanilla files are treated as mods now, you can probable just add the mod files to one of the vanilla folders (not edit the files).

Manadras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The save keeps track of what mods were enabled during worldgen. The only way I know of to add a new mod to the save is to add the mod's files to a mod the save wants to load in installed_mods. I haven't tried this, but since the vanilla files are treated as mods now, you can probable just add the mod files to one of the vanilla folders (not edit the files).

Yeah thats the problem, I didn't have any mods enabled on world gen that I could use for that purpose. I made some edits to the vanilla creatures_standard and they show up in my existing game, so I don't know. I guess I will have to learn to watch the alert feed like a hawk.

I tried putting the mod's sounds_additional.txt into "Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_music\objects" along with sounds_standard.txt, and I tried to combine all entires into sound_standard, but no dice.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:14:53 am by Manadras »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

I got the custom material working for basic items.  Not sure if setting a required skill is possible now, since Dwarves appear able to do all jobs regardless.  The graphics seem to automatically respect the reagent;

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile

Nice work. Did you have to do anything special for that?

Also, stringdumpers - still looking for the Unit Type Token associated with MODSKILL##, for defining custom profession names
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the custom material working for basic items.  Not sure if setting a required skill is possible now, since Dwarves appear able to do all jobs regardless.  The graphics seem to automatically respect the reagent;

If I'm not mistaken, material colors are defined by the tag [STATE_COLOR:XX:XX]. Then the color that is actually displayed is defined in \vanilla_descriptors_graphics\graphics\palette_default.txt. If the color you want isn't there, you should be able to create your own custom colors. According to the file, 255 palette colors are the max supported by the game and that file defines 116 colors. So that leaves 138 or 139 custom colors across all mods that can be added.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

Not specifically, it's more about knowing what not to include.  Custom hotkey does not work (I need to try without 'custom'), and reaction class is no longer needed.  From my example picture;

[REACTION:MAKE_GEM_BARREL]
   [NAME:make barrel from 4 gems]
   [BUILDING:MASON:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
   [REAGENT:A:1:ROUGH:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BARREL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:CUTGEM]

The new building where you make furniture is called 'Stoneworker', but is still defined by 'MASON'.  Last thing I've found, the entity file is changed as follows;

entity_patch_modname

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[SELECT_ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_GEM_BARREL]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Also, stringdumpers - still looking for the Unit Type Token associated with MODSKILL##, for defining custom profession names

There isn't a unit type nor a labor, so far as I can tell, which is not ideal

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile

I'm very curious where that marker is actually kept -- it would be a lot easier to edit that and simply check mods on or off than to add stuff to the vanilla folder and hope it's not removed on update. Unfortunately save folders contain nothing but binaries, so without a bespoke editor it's impossible to tell...

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm very curious where that marker is actually kept -- it would be a lot easier to edit that and simply check mods on or off than to add stuff to the vanilla folder and hope it's not removed on update. Unfortunately save folders contain nothing but binaries, so without a bespoke editor it's impossible to tell...

The game has an option for compressing saves that is on by default. With this off, it is pretty easy to tell where in world.dat the loaded mods are stored. The issue is that editing this would require either a dedicated tool, or hex editing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I forgot to mention the following token:

[LOG_CURRENT_ENTRY]

It works for all object types that SELECT and CUT work with, and prints the entire entry that contains it into a file. Just in case you want to know exactly what SELECT_CREATURE is doing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Ooh that's super useful! Thanks Putnam!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I noticed these tags in a string dump, any idea what they do?
Code: [Select]
GO_TO_TAG
GO_TO_START
GO_TO_END

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile

I think those are related to creature variation templates, and not anything new in 50.x.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10