Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a website dedicated to community games?  (Read 808 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

With all the ongoing discussion still on these forums of course, but I was thinking about a website to store all saves for one game in one place, users/turns management, automatic raw patching to restore ASCII or whatever, turn notifications, etc. And also automatic processing of new saves to gather and visualise some statistics about world/fortress progress, and the fortress itself. I likely had some other ideas I can't remember now, but first anyway I want to know if it's interesting for anyone.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone be interested in a website dedicated to community games?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:36:24 pm »

I don't think that's the thing you can predict popularity of.
My advice is "Do it in the simplest form and then we'll see interesting or not."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:55:59 pm »

Something like the LP archive? That would be interesting. One worrying aspect of old community games are the missing images, so if this proposed site does back up all the turns, journals and images, it'd certainly be an alternative option alongside the forums.

I don't doubt your wizardry mifki, but will probably have to see the site first to decide.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

One proof of concept is to look at all those in the Hall of Fame thread, and see how it holds up and preserve not only the text, but the images.  I'm fairly sure the corresponding save archives placed on DFFD are still there. 

But as for as how much participation, it wanes on and off over time.  College free time transitioning to Job and Life usually means less time for DF community games participation, but more lurking instead probably.