Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you organize your refuse stockpile to minimize mi  (Read 3587 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you organize your refuse stockpile to minimize mi
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 02:13:51 am »

Normally I either keep all that stuff outside and have the dwarves transfer it when it rots, or butcher animals in huge batches so that the refuse room is undisturbed while everything rots. This works enough of the time for me to not worry about the times it doesn't.

On the other hand, to ensure that miasma isn't encountered at all
Code: [Select]
#####
#=#=#
##X##
#=#=#
#####

#   wall
=   stockpile
X   stairs
Repeat as necessary.

Or, if you're willing to do even more fooling around or work with macros, arrange the stairs and stockpiles in a checkerboard pattern and make the staircases high traffic to stop dwarves pathing through the diagonals.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:39:13 am »

As far as I can tell, if I place my refuse pile at the top level of my fortress, channel out the ceiling, and then re-floor it, it still counts as "outside" and the refuse placed there won't generate miasma.

I typically set this stockpile to accept all refuse except fresh hides (I set up a leather stockpile that also accepts fresh hides next to the butcher/tanner area). Then I set up a separate stockpile for bones, skulls, and shells, and have it take from the main refuse stockpile. And I use green glass for the ceiling to my refuse stockpile, so I can imagine that light shines down on it even if it really doesn't.
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:40 am »

Well seeing that i still cannot understand how to exactly mark only bones on a stockpile or that it will accept everything but bones i have decided for a somewhat larg room near the entrance, built a corridor two doors and viola, dwarves don't get miasma stuck in their beards(except when they enter the room just as the horse starts to decompose)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

thepuska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:03 am »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I basically just build a meat locker.  The only ones who get a blast of foul air are the butchers and peasants, and that's just when they open the door.<P>But, if it's close to the surface, I'll build a sort of chimney for it to the outside.  That way, it gets considered "outside" by the game, so no miasma is created.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think this works...  I've carved away outside areas against a cliff face and had miasma develop there.  I think if it was ever considered "inside" it will allow miasma to form.

Miasma will be able to form on all subterranean tiles - there must be a natural floor or wall above it. Miasma will spread to all surrounding tiles, but tiles that are "above ground" will dissipate it.

Thus having a chimney, even if just one tile in size, will make miasma disappear faster, though it doesn't prevent miasma from actually forming except from stuff rotting on that particular tile.

edit: Fixed, miasma does not form on inside tiles, but on subterranean ones
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:53:24 am by thepuska »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 08:15:17 am »

Well, 1x1 general dumping zone outside (usually just on the left from the doors).

Bones & shells have around 10x10 room around butchers/craftsdwarf shops and so on.

Never needed something more complicated.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:12 am »

Well seeing that i still cannot understand how to exactly mark only bones on a stockpile or that it will accept everything but bones i have decided for a somewhat larg room near the entrance, built a corridor two doors and viola, dwarves don't get miasma stuck in their beards(except when they enter the room just as the horse starts to decompose)

Use q to look at the stockpile.  Use s to look at the settings on the stockpile.

1.  To make a no-bones stockpile, go to Type and then hit Enter over "bones".  Do the same for "skulls" and "shells".  Now everything but those three types is highlighted.

2.  To make a bones-only stockpile, go to Type and hit f for forbid all.  Then hit Enter over "bones", "skulls", and "shells".  Now only those three types should be highlighted.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 09:43:46 am »

I'm setting up a miasma-free indoor refuse pile thanks to your ideas, but I have a question.

<P>1. Dig out everything.
2. Place doors.
3. Designate stockpiles in the halls for bones/shells/skulls.
4. Designate a stockpile over the whole thing, which will only really be placed on the 1x1 tiles behind doors, since all other space is already occupied by a stockpile or doors. This second stockpile accepts all refuse except bones/shells/skulls.
5. Set the bone/shells/skulls stockpiles to take from the regular refuse stockpiles.<P>
How does step five help?  I've never understood the Take from Stockpile option.  Currently my dwarves go and get bones from my (currently outdoor) refuse pile and bring them indoors to my bone pile, without my having set up any Take from Stockpile.  Is the "Take" command redundant then?  Or does it speed up the process somehow?
Thanks =)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:04 am »

If there's a chasm on the map, I dump everything in there... if there is no chasm, I dig a hole to the bottom z-level and channel all the way down and build an atom smasher at the bottom. Then everything gets dumped in the hole. Usually I put the hole near my central stair so it is easy to get to...

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 10:51:45 am »

I'm setting up a miasma-free indoor refuse pile thanks to your ideas, but I have a question.

<P>1. Dig out everything.
2. Place doors.
3. Designate stockpiles in the halls for bones/shells/skulls.
4. Designate a stockpile over the whole thing, which will only really be placed on the 1x1 tiles behind doors, since all other space is already occupied by a stockpile or doors. This second stockpile accepts all refuse except bones/shells/skulls.
5. Set the bone/shells/skulls stockpiles to take from the regular refuse stockpiles.<P>
How does step five help?  I've never understood the Take from Stockpile option.  Currently my dwarves go and get bones from my (currently outdoor) refuse pile and bring them indoors to my bone pile, without my having set up any Take from Stockpile.  Is the "Take" command redundant then?  Or does it speed up the process somehow?
Thanks =)

In this case, his step 5 was totally redundant. If you have your refuse stockpile set to not include bone/skull/shell and you have a separate bone/shell/skull pile, those items will be moved after they decay without any further action.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »

Wow, never tought of using enter, it would just be allow all or forbid all for me before, this opens up some new ideas :D
Thanks slink
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 2 [3]