Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 35104 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase
« on: November 14, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »

International/OOC thread

A Message from the Roberts Island Colonial Government to the Board of Engineers, March 17, 1780

Greetings loyal engineers of the British Empire.  We have recently recieved a number of reports from our scouts suggesting that the Atterton Monarchy and the Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy are beginning to stabilize their holdings.  It appears that their upsurge has will prove to be longer lasting than prior thought.  With it being unknown how long until British forces will arrive to quell the rebellion, the Colonial Government of the Roberts Islands under the British Empire has decided we must take a more proactive approach.  Your board is to design and oversee the implementation of new technologies to allow us to take the fight to these rebels and bring the main island back under the rule of the British Empire!

Next Message

Spoiler: Nation Specs - 1780 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:15:30 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Design Phase
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:12:03 pm »

Well, hello gents. I'd like to state that we are, in fact, on an island by ourselves so I'd say it'd be wise to ensure our naval dominance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:30:57 pm by coleslaw35 »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »

Indeed. I suggest we adopt a strategy similar to Great Britain herself, to use our island advantage to avoid getting attacked directly, then launching a expeditionary force when the other nations have fought each other to a standstill

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 06:42:43 pm »

Aye, lads. We seem to be in a bit of trouble here, so let's start tinkering already, eh?
I propose we make swords. Oh, we do actually have that. Well then, I suppose we should reinforce our naval power, as we're kind of stuck on this tiny bit of rock, away from the dirty treacherous buggers that wank around on the main island. Let's make actual ships, shall we? *sips tea*
EDIT:
Well, eh, it does seem we agree on the fact that we need ships, but I have set up an list of thingies we could use.
1) Ships. Well, duh, we obviously aren't getting true Ships Of Line, at best we could get a sixth-rate, but I guess we should go with a brig instead. Even one of those would be ruling the waves.
2) Rifle. Would be glorious, really, but proably expensive and hard to research.
3) Puckle gun. Actually, what about Collier Revolver? I know we're quite early but... it's a bloody flintlock revolver!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:20:16 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 07:17:28 pm »

So, shall we design a new ship? If so, I'd say something light and fast. While it may lack in firepower and hull strength, they'd be nice little ships that could, potentially, just straight up outmaneuver  other ships. I don't really have anything to base it off in regards to real life, but I'll describe what I'm thinking and you guys can make your own modifications/ship suggestions.

Spoiler: London class sloop (click to show/hide)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 07:19:09 pm »

at best we could get a sixth-rate, but I guess we should go with a brig instead.

Woops, didn't see the edit.

EDIT: Although we could probably just scale up the London class sloop by increasing its size and cannon count and then call it the London class BRIG instead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:21:23 pm by coleslaw35 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:24:27 pm »

Actually, sloops are apparently bigger than brigs, usually. We could go with brig sloop. Basically a sloop with only two masts, with shallower draught, about 18 (low number but eh, the fishing boats have only one) guns, low manpower need and apparently the highest ratio of firepower to tonnage in the British navy back in the days. Not exactly long-range ships but that's not really a problem in our situation.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:26:53 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:28:34 pm »

Actually, sloops are apparently bigger than brigs, usually. We could go with brig sloop. Basically a sloop with only two masts, with shallower draught, about 18 (low number but eh, the fishing boats have only one) guns, low manpower need and apparently the highest ratio of firepower to tonnage in the British navy back in the days. Not exactly long-range ships but that's not really a problem in our situation.

Alright, sounds good.

*ahem*

How's that?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 07:37:44 pm »

I am kind of worried because the gun count was total. That is, 9 guns left, 9 guns right, (with pair furthest and rearmost partially covering ahead and abaft). Even the original sloop is kind of too much, since it has 32 damn cannons. It's not even sixth-rate (starts from 20 cannons to about 28), that is a fifth-rate (32 cannons up to 44)!

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 07:41:02 pm »

I am kind of worried because the gun count was total. That is, 9 guns left, 9 guns right, (with pair furthest and rearmost partially covering ahead and abaft). Even the original sloop is kind of too much, since it has 32 damn cannons. It's not even sixth-rate (starts from 20 cannons to about 28), that is a fifth-rate (32 cannons up to 44)!

My bad, not as proficient with 18th century stuff. :P
Let me try that again...

EDIT: Could I get a sample pic of the brig-sloop you're thinking of, Kot?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:46:38 pm by coleslaw35 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 07:44:44 pm »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:00:20 pm by Kot »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:24 pm »

Seems pretty fine now. So now we wait to see if we can make it.

Interesting. Thank you.

As for the protection bit, we could put one cannon at the front.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »

I guess we could try to put a cannon on aft and bow, possibly able to rotate 180 degrees (AFAIK, they used similar platforms for catapults in castles back in medieval times, it can't be that hard to do the same with a cannon), with only 8 cannons on sides.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 08:26:54 pm »

I guess we could try to put a cannon on aft and bow, possibly able to rotate 180 degrees (AFAIK, they used similar platforms for catapults in castles back in medieval times, it can't be that hard to do the same with a cannon), with only 8 cannons on sides.

Seems reasonable. Granted we'll have to wait for what everyone else thinks but this sounds pretty good.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

Jeasus, a 18 gun sloop? That seems excessive. What size guns are we talking, six pounders?

In any event, I support naval development. However, at some point I think we should work on developing a Lindner Carbine or some form of airgun, probably based on the Girardoni air rifle.

Or, hell, we could try getting the Ferguson rifles dug out of wherever they are being stored.

Oh, and we may want to arm the sloop mostly with carronades.

-Edit after ninjas-

I dont think the rigging will allow that that much. We can add in provisions for bow and stern chasers, then let the crews shift the guns as needed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34