Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226466 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »

Trebuchet built using individual parts based on actual physics, not just a 'trebuchet item' but a large macro build.  Time to build some terrifying dwarven siege machines!
I hope it's not going to end like in havoc engine, where physical bugs lead to ridiculousness.

The trebuchet is largely a built structure, with the only actual moving parts being an axle for the swing arm (which it seems is similar to rotors in SE) and the rock.

I will say though; the image of a trebuchet juddering itself to pieces, flipping over to squash the engineer and flinging itself at high speed into the castle walls is quite an amusing one.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2015, 11:53:57 pm »

Trebuchet built using individual parts based on actual physics, not just a 'trebuchet item' but a large macro build.  Time to build some terrifying dwarven siege machines!
I hope it's not going to end like in havoc engine, where physical bugs lead to ridiculousness.

The trebuchet is largely a built structure, with the only actual moving parts being an axle for the swing arm (which it seems is similar to rotors in SE) and the rock.

I will say though; the image of a trebuchet juddering itself to pieces, flipping over to squash the engineer and flinging itself at high speed into the castle walls is quite an amusing one.
So...My attempts at building a miniature trebuchet in real life? :P

But seriously, it was impressive how often and how badly that thing failed. We did get it working considerably more often eventually, but it still hit us instead of the target pretty often.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 15, 2015, 02:55:21 am »

You know, I've been looking at that list of cross-over features from Marek's blog post about Medieval Engineers, and one thing in particular is very interesting to me as applied to Space Engineers. Structural integrity. Would that perchance mean that, if one took a long-necked ship (like the default blue), and rammed another ship into the thin section, the entire thing could snap in half without all the blocks in the section having to be destroyed by ramming? Would big explosions potentially create such stresses?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:48 am »

I hope so.

If only so us flying brick ship builders can laugh even more at the pretty, flimsy, Star Trek designers.  :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 15, 2015, 06:53:22 am »

You know, I've been looking at that list of cross-over features from Marek's blog post about Medieval Engineers, and one thing in particular is very interesting to me as applied to Space Engineers. Structural integrity. Would that perchance mean that, if one took a long-necked ship (like the default blue), and rammed another ship into the thin section, the entire thing could snap in half without all the blocks in the section having to be destroyed by ramming? Would big explosions potentially create such stresses?
I think it also means that like, on the blue ship, if the red ship rammed into it from the side, and hit the front bulb, it might snap at the 'neck' as you'd expect it to, instead of simply damaging the impact site.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 29, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »

Latest update just introduced the ability to modify parts of asteroids "by hand", which without a doubt is sweet. No longer do asteroid base builders like me need to worry and worry about digging too much and permanently ruining the looks. Though it's only available in Creative mode.

Also, from what I saw from LSG, you can now set things up to fire specific weapons with buttons and stuff rather than the special hotkey that fires all weapons of the type.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:27:11 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:55 pm »

Weapons can fire from terminal, which also means by programming blocks, timers, and sensors.  Traps can be 300% more ‼FUN‼ now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »

What, you mean thrusters ionizing you and squishy walls arent !!FUN!! enough?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 29, 2015, 10:45:28 pm »

Now you can do that, WHILE being shot!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:39 pm »

True.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 07, 2015, 03:07:23 pm »

Whelp.  Looks like I wasted my money with this game.  Tried to play it, runs like crap on my computer as soon as I start a world.  And when I say that, it's running less than 5, maybe 1 or 2 over, per second.  Tis a shame.  Was looking forward to playing it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 07, 2015, 08:46:31 pm »

Could be your graphics card settings. Check if it is actually using it or not.

Mine's only a 256 or 512 mb card.

I did have 2 thoughts of what might help.  First is unlikely, but does anyone know of any mods to increase performance?  Second is, would going on a server help, as that would take up a fair amount of the workload, freeing up some of my computer?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 07, 2015, 10:29:07 pm »

In my experiences, servers work worse than SP.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #463 on: February 07, 2015, 10:35:57 pm »

If the lag is graphical, a server won't help. You need a better video card. If you have a 512 card you are right at the minimum spec and shouldn't have expected it to run very well to begin with.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:17 pm »

Could be your graphics card settings. Check if it is actually using it or not.

Mine's only a 256 or 512 mb card.

I did have 2 thoughts of what might help.  First is unlikely, but does anyone know of any mods to increase performance?  Second is, would going on a server help, as that would take up a fair amount of the workload, freeing up some of my computer?

If you're using internal graphics (which I suspect you are) then it will mostly just run terribly regardless.

If you define 'terribly' as less than 60, I will be completely fine with that.  If you define it as less than 30, I'm fine with that as well.

In my experiences, servers work worse than SP.

I know on similar games I got less lag when I was on a server.

If the lag is graphical, a server won't help. You need a better video card. If you have a 512 card you are right at the minimum spec and shouldn't have expected it to run very well to begin with.

True, but I was also planning on dropping the graphical level to below 'Normal' for at least a minor performance boost.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 114