Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Dimensions of Omen - A (Long) Tale of a Civilization's Survival  (Read 6685 times)

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dimensions of Omen - A (Long) Tale of a Civilization's Survival
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »

(I was almost through summer when my game crashed.  Back to the drawing board to replay it!)

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »

Chapter 3:  The Gradual Build-up(Spring/Summer 131)

From the Official Record of Amusearrow
Population as of 1 Granite 131:

22 dwarves
3 dogs
6 cats
6 turkey hens
1 turkey gobbler
2 horses
1 sow
1 billy goat
1 blue peachick
1 mule
1 chick
1 gosling
1 bull calf

From the Journal of Eral Workspirits, Expedition Leader
3 Granite 131
Two kobold thieves were spotted outside the hamlet today.  They fled when they realized that they’d been seen. 

We have formed two small squads of militia - the Rapid Creations and the Gleeful Works.  Rovod Laboredadmire will lead the Creations, which will be made up mostly of troops carrying weapons like swords or spears or hammers.  Urist Ballpainted will lead the Gleeful Works, which will be made up of marksdwarves. 

Unfortunately, as we do not yet have any metalworking running we have no weapons for our troops.  This will have to become a top priority in the future.

15 Granite
An elven caravan has arrived from Ale Thili. 

We had been told that the elves typically traded their wares with Swordtombs in the early spring, but we were pleasantly surprised to see them arrive to come trade with us. 

From the Journal of Kogan Matchbridge, Broker
18 Granite
The elves did not bring much with them.

Much of what they had we can easily make - things like buckets or cages or chests or barrels.  I wasn’t going to trade for any wooden weapons, and there was no sense to wearing leggings made of wood either. 

Instead I traded them several large cut gems in return for some fruits, a splint and a crutch.  They seemed happy enough with the trade but they also seemed oddly… sad.  They wouldn’t tell me why, though. 

From the Journal of As Dikecloak, Manager
20 Slate
We have added a second jewelers’ shop to the first so we can begin to encrust finished goods with the gems we have mined.  The gems are, by and large, far more valuable attached to finished goods than being sold by themselves.

20 Slate
More migrants arrived today.  There were nineteen who showed up to assist - by far our largest group so far.  Most appeared to have come from the surrounding area - when asked none had come from the Mountainhome or from Swordtombs.  Odd that no one else came from Swordtombs after the first group…

The arrival of so many means we need more beds - and really, we need to start thinking about bedrooms.  We have 25 beds in two dorms on the fourth level, but we now have over 40 total dwarves in the hamlet - far too many.  (We also need more tables and chairs - 10 tables and 20 chairs is hardly enough!)

I’ve laid out plans for a new residential level/dining hall setup that combines both on the same level.  Each floor would be able to hold at least 64 bedrooms as well as 4 meeting halls that are 11x11 with a shared area for stockpiles of food.  The miners will begin to dig the space out while our carpenters and masons make the necessary furniture. 

Arrivals - Spring, 131
(Name, sex, age, primary occupation)

Asmel Crypttalk, male, 76, butcher
Ast Parchlance, female, 81, soap maker
Dumat Grouproughness, female, 77, cook
Feb Buddedposts, male, 84, spinner
Kadol Riddledtool, female, 81, animal trainer
Kumil Pillarstrike, male, 72, mason
Lokum Palepaddles, male, 60, miner
Momuz Stakekindness, female, 87, farmer
Mosus Roadscales, female, 63, weaver
Nish Lingoils, female, 86, glassmaker
Rimtar Othoskadol, male, 56, animal dissector
Rovod Scaldedbridged, male, 77, clerk
Shorats Paddleddashed, male, 84, stonecrafter
Sodel Lashedruled, female, 53, shearer
Stinthad Geareye, female, 74, trader
Tirist Shotweakened, female, 71, trader
Unib Questedmerchants, male, 79, shearer
Urdim Cattenmedtob, male, 65, furnace operator
Uzol Famelantern, female, 83, trader

From the Journal of Eral Workspirits, Expedition Leader
13 Hematite
A human caravan from Erquinmong arrived today.  Along with the caravan came Tol Ofodirlu, the guild representative of the humans.

He brought with him a great amount of news from the human realms.  There was little in the way of recent news - most of it was of occupations that had ended or started a few or several years ago.  He asked what requests we had of the human merchants, so I had him meet with Kogan.

13 Hematite
I had heard that the humans were trading with Swordtombs and other locations, but this was my first time encountering them.  Their representative, Tol, seemed like a pleasant enough fellow. 

I went ahead and asked him to have their next trade caravan send out some more vegetables for our stills and kitchens as well as meats.  We have decent stores of these things, but we can always use more all the same. 

In return, the humans requested crowns, drinks, shields, and crutches from us.  The first we can provide but we’re not going to trade them our alcohol - that just won’t work. 

He thanked me for my time and set off on his way to whatever hamlet or town he was going to visit next.

6 Malachite
The first 32 bedrooms are completed.  We have 64 total bedrooms but only these 32 currently have furniture and doors.  Besides, we have 41 dwarves, and 33 are in the rooms (It would seem that Rovod Laboredadmire and Imush Tradedreveres are an item), which leaves us with more than enough space in the dorms for the remaining 8. 

7 Malachite
We now have enough crafts that trading can happen.  The humans brought a lot of items with them, but we can’t wear their clothing or armor.  What we did purchase, though, was a number of bins of cloth and leather.  In return we sold our entire collection of shell crafts - a few of which were decorated with gems.  We also purchased all the raw meat and vegetables they had and something they call “blackberry wine” - a liquor that, I hear, is almost as good as our own dwarven wine. 

I guess I’ll have to find out.

25 Malachite
Another wave of migrants arrived today.  This brings us up to 51 in total. 

Arrivals - Summer, 131
(Name, sex, age, primary occupation)

Atir Lanternsabres, 65, female, metalsmith
Geshud Inklens, 53, female, butcher (spouse:  Sazir Roadcatches)
Ilral Drinktooks, 79, male, fish cleaner
Kogan Chamberclimate, 78, male, woodcrafter
Kubuk Tinbrew, 87, female, macedwarf
Kulet Pinefigure, 76, female, trader
Sazir Roadcatches, 73, male, gem setter (spouse:  Geshud Inklens)
Uzol Hotochre, 78, female, beekeeper
Alath Tourreigns, 5, female, child (parents Sazir & Geshud)
Muthkat Graspedfortresses, 7, male, child (parents Sazir & Geshud)

2 Galena
Zefon Stoppedgate has been struck by an odd mood.  He claimed a craftdwarf’s workshop and began sketching pictures of skeletons, a forest, square blocks, and stacks of cloth.  Shortly after that he began rushing about to gather those items. 

When he was done he had created Sholid Ozor - the Clutches of Subtlety - a kakabo bone earring.  It was adorned with hanging rings of kakapo bone and menaces with spikes of alpaca wool.  On it was an image of a tiger shark in persimmon wood and an image of shining suns in gabbro. 

Value? 6,000 urists.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 07:31:19 am »

Kind of a slow start but it's certainly gotten interesting. I was sorry to hear about Swordtombs. I've tried the re population thing myself but I don't have the patience.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 10:55:22 am »

Kind of a slow start but it's certainly gotten interesting. I was sorry to hear about Swordtombs. I've tried the re population thing myself but I don't have the patience.

I'm probably less of a risk-taker than many, which accounts for the slow starts to the fortresses.  That and this is my first actual try at write-ups, so I'm still trying to find a good rhythm and flow to everything. :)  I appreciate the feedback... and yes, I was pretty disheartened that they steamrolled Swordtombs in such a manner.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 05:27:52 pm »

I'm probably less of a risk-taker than many, which accounts for the slow starts to the fortresses.  That and this is my first actual try at write-ups, so I'm still trying to find a good rhythm and flow to everything. :)  I appreciate the feedback... and yes, I was pretty disheartened that they steamrolled Swordtombs in such a manner.

Surrendering the fort back to the whims of the world gen process is a hell of a dice roll. I dread the day I move on from Soulbooks, though it's inevitable due to boredom from FPS slowdown.

I've recently heard about people having problems with saving from the in-game menu screwing up the region folder, which would make a project like this one difficult. Are you using dfhack and quicksave?

I think most fortresses start a bit slow, a game has to have an arc. Anyway, good luck.

PS - Have you considered building the dwarves a hold out fort on a glacier or somewhere isolated?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:32:13 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 07:18:33 pm »

Well, I'm partly curious to see how much of a disconnect there is between world-gen and the sim that takes place during Fortress mode.  Being a relative newbie I wonder just how contiguous they are or if they are dissimilar.  Having a 1300+ goblin army show up just after I retired it makes me wonder...

I use dfhack and quicksaves, yes.  It's really the only things I know really since I use LNP. :)

I am considering a holdout fort - so far I've forced myself to build in areas where it says there is war with the goblins.  This may also be why Swordtombs did not survive.  Maybe my third will be the holdout... though there is also the Hills of Flimsiness - the haunted area. :) 
Pages: 1 2 [3]