Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524275 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1665 on: October 26, 2015, 06:37:06 pm »

24 is not the same as 29 - not by a long shot. As a quick test, I took an MR-29 Debug Sensai and had it cast Fire Storm on a horde of 280 B9 sacreds. The sacreds routed, and the DS never took a single hit.

I suspect you've never tried dealing with really obscene MRs - when you've seen a single unit laugh off 20-30 boosted Disintegrates per turn for 50+ turns, you gain some respect for what MR stacking can really do.

You're absolutely right! Late-game geared units with 30ish MR have less than a one percent chance of being hit by BV. Once you hit the point where people are running around with multiple high level research paths, most expansion strategies (like blesses) are out the window.

I assumed that when you said "high MR" and "occasional inevitable failure" you were talking about where people get to in most 1v1 or small FFA multiplayer games (24-25ish) where MR buys you time, not practical immunity; the sky is the limit if we're talking about slower MP or rules variations though. My apologies on the misinterpretation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:43:04 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 27, 2015, 08:58:37 am »

What are yer favorite nations, bay12ers?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 27, 2015, 09:10:26 am »

Ry'leh, since I suck at the game. This way I can be somewhere far off, underwater and just trade information and sometimes spell assistance for being left alone.
Otherwise Pangea, since they have such nice fatty-creatures that even as clueless player I can surive the early multiplayer and use harpys and stuff to spy and learn from others.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:34 am »

I absolutely love Lemoria. I'm not good at this game, but I love the big death gem income and lots of summons.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:57 am »

More or less any of the freespawn ones, ermor or lemuria (freaking consuls) in particular. Would pretty much never play them in a multiplayer game (save maybe asphodel as a disciple), but I enjoy 'em in singleplayer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »

Right now out of the nations I've played, MA Agartha, definitely, for lots of reasons. I haven't tried their EA or LA versions so far, though. I've been playing other nations in EA (and MA except for one recent game).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 27, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »

C'tis (All of them), one of the richer lorewise races who accidentally screwed over a massive nation due to thinking that they wouldn't abuse death magic, shattering it into many groups and creating one of the most horrible places in existence. All the while being one of the few nations with death magic to practice it favorably and without malicious intent compared to many other death focused nations.

All the while they've got an interesting contrast going on for their racials, their strengths are always fun to play around with even if they don't have the best nationals though I love having prime access to a decent holy 3 and death magic, along with a strong dominion effect in the middle ages.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 27, 2015, 07:42:10 pm »

Pangaea, MA especially. Nature is tricky to use but that's part of the fun, optional blood and most of all strong earth magic. E3 + boots + earth power makes for some insane battle casting. Centaur warriors help you until you get RP to buff your mages. You can even go the bless route with white centaurs. And then there's revelers. Very strong nation.

Played an MP with LA C'tis once, they were interesting. Death magic is fun to play with. Frail but they can kick some serious butt.

Others of interest, in some mix of theme and gameplay, are monkies, MA Mictlan and Agartha. Never played those outside of some SP test games.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 27, 2015, 07:45:33 pm »

LA C'tis.  Because I won a game with them and because D9B9 mummy snakes.  They also get some cool infantry including falchioneers (size 2 double attackers seems to be one of the C'tis' schitcks across eras).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:49 pm »

I like MA Agartha. They play differently than a lot of nations depending on how you play them, and they can be played in very different ways. Also, they fit into my general preference for slow starting nations rather than early monsters (my performance in the last two NG Dom4 rounds here kinda points to how alien that playstyle is to me).

I really, REALLY want to like the underwater nations, as Atlantis is my One True Love all the way back to Dom1... but underwater is so flat. I hope and pray that the alluded-to-but-not-actually-promised "second half" of the underwater patch will add a bit more strategic flavor to the seas. If it does, I'll probably get off my duff and either add or try to cajole Elmokki into adding optional aquatic nations to NationGen, as much as a PITA as some of those (e.g., merfolk - or more importantly, merhoburgs) would be to define compared to 'lubber nations...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 27, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »

The unfortunate thing about early vs late bloomers is that they scale WILDLY based on the type of game being played.  Like, the current NG game is squarely in the lategame and while many people are crippled no one is huge that I know of and no one is 100% dead yet.  Because its a big fricken game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:05 am »

Yeah not going to lie... Water does kind of feel... a LOT less complex then land.

I realize why this is (there are what? 1-3 maybe underwater races in each age... versus the billion of land), but it is just so jarring and kind of turns me off Water races every time.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 28, 2015, 06:52:22 am »

The unfortunate thing about early vs late bloomers is that they scale WILDLY based on the type of game being played.  Like, the current NG game is squarely in the lategame and while many people are crippled no one is huge that I know of and no one is 100% dead yet.  Because its a big fricken game.
I'm out of the game and Turland AI'd
And if you REALLY think "no one is huge" you've been paying even less attention to Rizdos then I was :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my fave nations, Atlantis was a favorite in Dom3, but they got somewhat nerfed in this one. Pangea is always good, but the nation that surprised me with how much I like it has to be LA Caelum.
I did not expect to love birdmans this much.
It has TWO ranged sacreds, one that's a fast cheap one and one that is heavily armored and generally not gonna die instantly. With F9D9 bless these bastards kill ERRYTHING. And of course there are MAMMOTHS for if you need something to hit heavy in melee, though that's...problematic if they rout.
But where I found it shines is it's pretty much PERFECT for Corpse Man spam. It has plenty of low level earth mages (with resource creation as a bonus) to make lightning rods, and then Air/Death for the spell and that ring that ALSO boosts Frankenstein yield.

So you send in the Frankensteins as a wall to hold off enemies while your arrows WRECK ERRYBODY.
And of course the focus on Construction is handy for pretty much EVERYTHING, so it has a bit of versatility too.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 28, 2015, 06:56:21 am »

...and then somebody with air access rushes the relatively low-level Arrow Fend, and you've just wasted a double bless on a useless gimmick.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 28, 2015, 07:51:09 am »

And then you cry even more because you're LA Caelum and 3/5ths of your mages suck and you can't recruit enough of your Capital-Only mages to compensate. LA Caelum is the worst Caelum for a reason after all.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 236