Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524268 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2235 on: April 14, 2016, 04:15:01 pm »

Don't forget luck [scales] makes a difference too.

At one point I did a miserable test of 300 castings under luck 3 (it was going to be under various lucks but clicking through 300 casts of Transformation damped my spirits). Looking back at it, 5/300 died and 40/300 were feebleminded. That comes right out to the 15% figure.

(35/300 ended up troll/yeti/giant/ettin, plus 6/300 were flying monkeys who are also full-slotted. On a further cautionary note, 15/300 ended up as either Hydras or Troll Seithberenders, both of which have annual upkeeps of 200+...)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:34:41 pm by E. Albright »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 14, 2016, 07:09:47 pm »

Underwater most likly suffers far more, since there are less possible (good) outcomes?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:55 pm »

The only bad outcome available underwater is one of the Foulspawn (they probably should also have large shrimp and  the two uwbug fish these days, TBH - probably should further have sea serpents as a good outcome, hehehe). A quick test shows 2 dead and 15 FM'd out of 90; it seems like it's about the same percentage, of good-v-bad, just less variety once it's determined if it's a positive outcome or not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:06:26 pm by E. Albright »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:58 pm »

... say, speaking of luck, is it scales or just... luck on the caster, that benefits crossbreeding?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 14, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »

Scales.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: April 14, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »

Cooee. Shame it looks like there's not very many adept crossbreeders in the game. Half are pretender chassis, heh.

E: Note to self: When wanting to play around with crossbreeding on a small map, don't claim the throne of the pantokrator. The poor AI's dominion can't take that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:56:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: April 14, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »

Don't forget the Manual.

Oh, and to combine this with the last train of thought, one of the feebleminded land transformations is the Freaklord's mount, which still is a crossbreeder, so if you can fix its scrabbled mind...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:45:42 pm by E. Albright »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: April 15, 2016, 01:17:50 am »

Do bad transformation results lead to lower magic paths our anything like that? Just kinda curious, since some basins have easier access to affliction healing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: April 15, 2016, 03:44:47 am »

Transformation is affected both by luck scales, and personal luck of the caster. There are two Luck-granting trinkets that can be fairly easily acquired, and they both seem to stack in decreasing the chances of a bad transformation.

Also no, I don't think bad transformations reduce magic paths. I never saw it happen at least, besides the transformations to feebleminded or mindless forms that just take away all paths.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: April 15, 2016, 03:52:50 am »

As someone who's spent a lot of time on the mod inspector, a lot of animal forms have path penalties (and a few have bonuses IIRC).  Never actually cast transformation tho...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: April 15, 2016, 09:09:56 am »

Transformation is affected both by luck scales, and personal luck of the caster. There are two Luck-granting trinkets that can be fairly easily acquired, and they both seem to stack in decreasing the chances of a bad transformation.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard of personal luck affecting anything out of combat. Do you have a reference for this, or is it just personal experience? (I'll test it myself at some point either way, but now I'm rather curious.)

Also no, I don't think bad transformations reduce magic paths. I never saw it happen at least, besides the transformations to feebleminded or mindless forms that just take away all paths.

It's only the Feeblemindedness that's eliminating spellcasting. Mindless beings can still cast spells; e.g. Golems, Onyx Oracles, Colossal Fetishes, and the whole sidenote about Mindless casters not being affected by or able to cast Magic Duel.

As someone who's spent a lot of time on the mod inspector, a lot of animal forms have path penalties (and a few have bonuses IIRC).

A lot of the units that are Transformation targets have #fooattuned, which is a Transformation/Gift of Reason-specific command to add a level of a given path upon transforming/becoming a commander. However, none of them actually have positive or negative path boosts.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: April 15, 2016, 09:21:12 am »

There are many variations of foulspawn, sadly. All bad.

The personal luck should be tested, seems relevant. Also my orginal question of "is it worth it?" still stands.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: April 15, 2016, 09:28:14 am »

I've been wondering.
Are there people out there who play normal multiplayer not Play by email?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: April 15, 2016, 09:34:38 am »

You can play by connecting to a server. Some of these are played PBEM style, but most I've seen are used for "blitzes", which is a single game played in one go over several hours.

I seem to recall seeing some blitz games in this steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

No doubt there are other places. Can't name one due to being a PBEM guy myself.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:40:30 am by Delta Foxtrot »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: April 15, 2016, 09:41:52 am »

There are many variations of foulspawn, sadly. All bad.

I don't know; if not for the Feebleminding/if you can fix the Feebleminding, both 456 and 530 are actually pretty nice.

As to whether or not Transformation is worth it, it's situational. If your mages are expensive, your mages are physically frail, you have some way to fix FM, you have good Luck, you can benefit from getting new crosspaths that are available via attunement, and you're not extremely tight on Nature gems, it's worth it. Each one of those that doesn't apply reduces the worth of transforming, though.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 236