Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ASCII-plus graphic set  (Read 4490 times)

PandarenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII-plus graphic set
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 09:52:35 pm »

This is an amazing idea, great work! I'll definitely use this.

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 02:28:05 am »

actually, at leas tin part, it seems to be a matter of finding the right multiples of 16, some of them don't work all that well together

These are my current settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.

TiagoTiago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 02:41:21 am »

i finally  got good results with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i don't like widescreen, both my monitors are 4:3 (though for some reason they allow for resolution up to  1280x1024 each, which needs tweaks to not look deformed in a 4:3 screen, luckily both monitors allow for the adjustments)

For windowed i choose to not have it too big so i can confortably move the window around and still see a bit of stuff behind.
---
Notification emails don't always reach me, please let me know if you think it has happened (like if i don't reply a thread i'm expected to reply for more than a week)

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 03:48:38 pm »

As soon as the Mac version is out, I'll check if the current graphic set is compatible and I'll update it eventually.
...Unless someone has already tried on windows.

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »

A couple of things.
1. I see that the pack has been downloaded after DF2010 release: does this mean that it's compatible? Has anyone tried?
2. Killing time, I have started to draw smileys specific for each profession/position. The ASCII flavor is still there, and dwarfs are more recognizable. Here's an example, what do you think?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:43 pm »

That's a good idea, ebenezer.

I've made the same for my pre-2010 wasteland mod (which has never been released).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 05:46:38 pm »

Haha, that's awesome!

I prefer a full graphics set myself, but this is a great idea!
It looks really slick, too. I could see myself using something
like this if I got stuck with a more limited resolution than mine.

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 08:15:35 pm »

This reminds me of that pseudo-tileset graphics set someone made a while ago that had the same goal, but instead combined characters to show them. For example, a Giant Tiger would be a yellow TT, a Giant Tiger Cub would be a Tt, and a Tiger would be a tt. I really liked that one, I'd like it more if he would continue work on it with the newest version. I forgot the thread and creator.

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 04:15:58 pm »

It's the digraphics set by G-Flex. It's a very good idea, but I think that my approach is more readable.

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

It's the digraphics set by G-Flex. It's a very good idea, but I think that my approach is more readable.

But I think his approach is better. hurrrrrr

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 03:05:03 am »

What I like of G-Flex 's idea is that with the "periodic table" system you can have a specific tile for each creature. I have been tempted to do something similar, then I decided to give up some information because:
1. I wanted a readable set. I could not think of a way to use two letters on a tile + formatting + superscript that is not as eye-boggling as the typical 16x16 graphics set.
2. I needed flexibility. The way the set works, you can add, remove or mod as many creature as you want, then generate a new graphics file in seconds with the script. No need to assign the tiles by hand. (I guess this might be done also with a digraphics set, but I'm not skilled enough at programming);
3. aesthetic reasons: matching styles of fonts look nice.
4. there's a 4th reason, but I forgot it.

Can you be a bit more specific? (fishing for suggestions here)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28:02 am »

This is pretty neat.  The font might even go with the PTTGV5 tileset reasonably well.

So, would one be able to use the script on the new version to generate graphics for all the new stuff?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 03:42:00 pm »

I have just had a quick look to the new raws. The script will assign a normal font to the beastmen, since the names have changed (form ANTMAN to ANT_MAN) and the [CAN_SPEAK] tag removed. Give a try, it should work for the other creatures, just keep in mind that the graphics file has only tiles for the vanilla 40d megabeasts.
However, it needs to be updated - as soon as I have some time (when my toddler daughter is at high school, I'm afraid).

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

What I like of G-Flex 's idea is that with the "periodic table" system you can have a specific tile for each creature. I have been tempted to do something similar, then I decided to give up some information because:
1. I wanted a readable set. I could not think of a way to use two letters on a tile + formatting + superscript that is not as eye-boggling as the typical 16x16 graphics set.
2. I needed flexibility. The way the set works, you can add, remove or mod as many creature as you want, then generate a new graphics file in seconds with the script. No need to assign the tiles by hand. (I guess this might be done also with a digraphics set, but I'm not skilled enough at programming);
3. aesthetic reasons: matching styles of fonts look nice.
4. there's a 4th reason, but I forgot it.

Can you be a bit more specific? (fishing for suggestions here)

Yours doesn't stick to the ASCII style. It adds weird notches and shit, his was good because it only used the standard ASCII characters.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 10:39:21 am »

I find this more readable, and more recognizable, than the digraph method, notches and all.  I don't much care for the training diacritics, though.  Their placement in the corners makes them appear to attach to the neighboring cells too much.

I like those hats on the dwarves.  The base smileys don't strike my fancy, but the hats are a nice touch.
Pages: 1 [2]