Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You, Me, and the USMA  (Read 5550 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You, Me, and the USMA
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »

Good to see someone else pursuing an Academy spot. There's lots of good stuff on the website, so I'd recomend reading it all.

Remember that Pointers are not grunts, but the sorts who have a lot of leeway in regards to their specialty. Hopefully, I'll be wasting it to get into armor.

Remember that, after graduation, you have five years of active service, followed by three of inactive. However, once you get out, being a USMA grad is the single best thing you can have as a credential. The old boys network of West Point ('the Long Gray Line) is second to none, as West Pointers are already the best, and they appreciate the unique education that the Academy provides.

If you'd like, we should both start posting training records, neither of us are particularly athletic.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:20 pm »

Dedicate your life to designing weaponry.  Not using it.

Daft

• Bay Watcher
  • Enthusiastic but Incompetent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:15 pm »

I was kinda secretly hoping to do that but I have no idea how to achieve this goal.

Edit: Thank you everyone for your advice.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 07:09:06 pm »

I advise you to build a blimp.

That should shut your parents up.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 09:59:22 pm »

Ordanance Corp.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 11:00:59 pm »

Do what you want, not what your parents want. Because you'll never get the motivation to do it otherwise, and unless your a genius it takes a lot of motivation and hard work to do anything.

Secondly: i'd rather graduate from a non military place. better all round experience IMO.
Magma is overrated.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 07:15:18 am »

Do what you want, not what your parents want. Because you'll never get the motivation to do it otherwise, and unless your a genius it takes a lot of motivation and hard work to do anything.

Secondly: i'd rather graduate from a non military place. better all round experience IMO.
This.
If I listened to my parents I just know I'd end up a miserable office worker doing dull work for few rewards.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:32:08 am »

This.
If I listened to my parents I just know I'd end up a miserable office worker doing dull work for few rewards.

Hm..that sounds weird to me. I mean the [majority of the] parents in the US are "forcing" their children to do certain jobs? This behaviour is not very common here in Hungary, that is for sure. [..thankfully  ;D]

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 08:46:10 am »

The majority of parents push towards college. That's it, in my experience.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 09:16:39 am »

My parents give suggestions and then seem to think that I agree with them, and tell people that's what I'm doing.  I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, though.

Although the designing guns, not using them thing is lame.  Design guns, and then use them to shoot people.
Shoes...

Daft

• Bay Watcher
  • Enthusiastic but Incompetent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 01:29:59 pm »

My parents aren't from the US though, so I really don't know what the typical American parental traditions are. But my parents are all "Oh hey, not only do you have to go to college, it has to be a really good college. Or we'll disown you. You know, we're about ten times smarter than you are, we could have been doctors, but we were too busy being oppressed in the old country. So now the task lies with you. Because we want free healthcare."  :P

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 02:17:55 pm »

My parents aren't from the US though, so I really don't know what the typical American parental traditions are. But my parents are all "Oh hey, not only do you have to go to college, it has to be a really good college. Or we'll disown you. You know, we're about ten times smarter than you are, we could have been doctors, but we were too busy being oppressed in the old country. So now the task lies with you. Because we want free healthcare."

Parents are different. My dad was like: "You should follow my in my footsteps: leave your comfortable home and bum across Asia, smuggling goods to make money, get exotic diseases, fight Indonesian pirates, get captured by Thai guerrillas, and flee the Khmer Rouge. Then hitchhike your way to England and get treated for hepatitis before you die." I think my dad would actually be pretty disappointed if I didn't do at least a little bit of that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 07:39:00 pm »

I'd say so, your dad's life reads like an action movie.  I bet the ladies were throwing themselves at him.
Shoes...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »

To the original question, I had a friend from high school enlist in the Army a short time after he graduated. He served a bit in Iraq, and then they shipped him off to West Point because he was nothing short of brilliant.

So if you don't get accepted into West Point, there are other ways to get in, provided you're nothing short of brilliant.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:40 pm »

That's one of my reserve plans right now . . .
Pages: 1 [2] 3