Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How To Survive The New Version  (Read 6923 times)

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Survive The New Version
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:14 am »

I am beginning to see that the Ambush skill is the most useful skill in the game... so long as your not caught in the open.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:04 am »

Seriously. In 31.25, I had no issue with keeping adventurers alive as long as I kept them away from non-titan megabeasts and bogeymen, but had nothing to do. In 34.01, I am having trouble keeping the inevitable goblin/dwarf/human/fucking kobold ambushes from killing me. Oh, and of course I never start in towns, only hamlets, so I need to travel the bandit-packed wilderness between human settlements to get to anything interesting. If I don't die when getting to town, I die to a mummy's curse or get all of my limbs crippled by a couple goblins in a dungeon.

All that aside, this seems like a great update to play an adventurer in, if I can get anywhere. Does anyone have any advice on how I can, say, get to the point where I can defeat a necromancer and learn the Secrets of Life and Death without dying before then?
-snip-
I vote you find a badass knife, then go cbow/knife akimbo special ops dorf. Hell if you do that, post a pic of your desc.
Actually, I've was looking for knives when I first started.  Never found any though :(
Peasants/Night Creatures tend to have em, least last I checked.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 12:58:27 am »

I am beginning to see that the Ambush skill is the most useful skill in the game... so long as your not caught in the open.
You can even sneak if you get caught.  If you can swim, dive into a pool of water to resneak.  You can also try to find a nook to hide in as long as your pursuers lose line of sight to you.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 01:43:12 am »

Does that mean that if you get out of their sight then you can resneak? If so coool
Love Boat murder

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:42 am »

Does that mean that if you get out of their sight then you can resneak? If so coool
Yup. Easy way to survive bogeymen attacks as an early adventurer.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:43 am »

Set Dodging to Max (15). 

'Nuff said!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 06:06:47 am »

Hunt down a vampire with legends, lick their blood, and then suck an unconscious creature's blood by pressing "e". Then go to necromancer towers, learn necromancy, and go wander around with a zombie army. Don't worry about the undead and mummies, you're technically already dead.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 07:08:41 am »

Run away, become a vampire, then become a necromancer. I guarantee, nothing will stop you.
Any advice on where to find vampires? Other than "underneath layers of crafts made from the hair, nails, bones, and teeth of their victims."
[/quote]

Usually they get high positions, so going to a town and looking at the person in the keep should eventually turn up a vampire.
then you can kill them and drink their blood.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:50:18 pm by Bronimin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:34 pm »

As far as I can tell, the best way to survive is to stay the hell away from crossbowmen. Every single one of my deaths in the new version have been from being pincushioned by 3-4 bandit crossbowmen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:36 am »

As far as I can tell, the best way to survive is to stay the hell away from crossbowmen. Every single one of my deaths in the new version have been from being pincushioned by 3-4 bandit crossbowmen.

That's why I find it so damn satisfying when I sneak up on them and choke them out.  Then as an extra bit of venting my hatred of them, I take their crossbow or bow and bash their skulls in with it. >:3

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37:14 am »

After filling the legends page with 100 adventurers, I started saving. Its not cheating, every game has a saving option, besides, running with the 100th adventurer is almost the same as saving, just nerfed down. Also saving don't make you powerful, you still don't have a chance against demi-gods, at start, even a lucky shot can kill you as a legendary. Saving just prevents lots of wasted time, and keeps you interested in the game longer.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0
Pages: 1 [2]