Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping Bone Armor (0.40.x)  (Read 2095 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Equipping Bone Armor (0.40.x)
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:03:25 am »

I do not seem to be able to figure out to create a uniform that uses bone armor, or get my dwarves to use bone armor while waiting for metal or leather to be made. Help?

SlothPajamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Hear eloquence : Strong Need
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Bone Armor (0.40.x)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:34:41 am »

Well i glanced through the entire list of materials present for use when designating uniforms and it seems bone is completely absent. However i was able to give bone armor to my militia commander through specific assignment. I guess that's what you're going to have to do? If i'm wrong and missed something then my apologies.
Lurking since 2013, i think.
Likes axolotls for their resemblance to a shining sun.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:40:45 am »

Specific assignment, or by going into the uniform menu and specifying that the colour of the equipment must be white.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:52:26 am »

...specifying that the colour of the equipment must be white.

Is that a guess or tested?

SlothPajamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Hear eloquence : Strong Need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 05:36:24 am »

Well i'm not exactly experienced with the military system, but i just started a new fort and made a pair of yak bone greaves. I set the custom uniform to have the commander wear white greaves, and had them lose all of their civilian clothes just in case.

They did nothing until after i told them to wear that particular pair of bone greaves instead of relying on the uniform. So i dunno, i guess it just doesn't work?
Lurking since 2013, i think.
Likes axolotls for their resemblance to a shining sun.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »

If the color method isn't working, I've found another way.

Doesn't work for shells, though.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 06:23:53 pm »

I just have a fetish for making armor out of cats. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my bone crafter to decorate my cat leather armor with cat bone.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:47:04 pm »

I just have a fetish for making armor out of cats. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my bone crafter to decorate my cat leather armor with cat bone.

I'll take "Things you hear on the Bay 12 forums" for $1200, Alex. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:28:27 am »

My newest fortress, the civilization not only has the usual array of cats, but they ALSO sell leather, meat and bone crafts made out of Giant Lions and Giant Leopards! Why can I specify that I want cat bone mugs, but I *can't* specify that I want my bone instruments made out of cat bone?

Thankfully, the ennol is a percussion instrument entirely made out of bone. By which I mean, cat bone.

If it wasn't for that, I would be tempted to keep generating worlds until I made one that had a musical instrument that was made entirely out leather and bone, although I'd be okay with some glass in there too.

selrahc007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »

I'll take "Things you hear on the Bay 12 forums" for $1200, Alex. :P
I'm sigging that, K?
I'll take "Things you hear on the Bay 12 forums" for $1200, Alex.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »

I'll just post this link here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155056.msg6695493#msg6695493

Basically, there is an exploit where you can delete the option for something that CAN be assigned bone (crossbows), and your cursor will jump to the next item up in the list (say, greaves).  Before doing anything else you can select the bone material for the armor.  Obviously, this only works for helms/gauntlets/greaves/leggings, but it -did- work when I used it to set up some bone/leather hybrid armor.  Supposedly you can use the color selection to force shell (green) armor pieces as well, but I didn't have shell on that embark.  Color is -supposed- to work, are you sure you aren't setting the status to "over" clothing instead of replace?