Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: When you kill important figures...  (Read 6208 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: When you kill important figures...
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »

Anyways, well we can all agree dwarves are commies they are certainly not oppressive;

Please explain to me how a civilization whose nobles mandate items impossible to make and punish the deficit of completed mandates with brutal beatings/executions is NOT oppressive.  Oh, and a useless noble decides no goblets should go out and 20 goblets do go out?  That's 20 different dwarfs having nothing to do with anything who are going to get a visit from the hammerdwarf.

Not oppressive my lily white beard.

The nobles only rule because you let them :)

The dwarves are hardly oppressed though. They have monarchs who will make demands of them for certain material's but other than that the dwarves have plenty of freedom to buy things, make their own friends, choose their own wives, create their own art, run for local government or dress as they please. The only thing they really lack is the choice to pick their own occupation.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:10 pm »

And they will always be happy to have work. Just like Brave New World, but with medieval technology and no conditioning.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »

The dwarves are hardly oppressed though. They have monarchs who will make demands of them for certain material's but other than that the dwarves have plenty of freedom to buy things, make their own friends, choose their own wives, create their own art, run for local government or dress as they please. The only thing they really lack is the choice to pick their own occupation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then.  My dwarves are certainly oppressed.  For instance, they aren't allowed to have whatever they want.  I might forbid them from taking something they want because I want to dump it or trade it.  And they have no recourse to my tyranny.

They can make their own friends and spouses, sure, but I might conscript those friends and spouses at any moment and sacrifice them to the blood god.  :p

The point I'm most likely to concede is the dwarves dressing as they please.  I never make a clothing industry so inevitably my dwarves end up naked or in tatters.  ;)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 06:21:17 pm »

Dwarf fortress proves that you don't need freedom to have happiness. Dwarves get no choice of their own, but they live such joyful lives (if you value your fortress they do). Suck on that you freedom-preaching hippies!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:57 pm »

Such as Guild Leaders, Rulers and other group-leader types, do new people rise to take their place?
I'm asking because I've been making adventureres for the sole purpose of wiping all leading figures off the face of the planet in a series of suicide hammer-runs.

Hm. Once the world is generated, it "freezes", per se. For example, how no new wars will begin. During world gen, leaders can die and get replaced, but after world gen...I'm not so sure.

I'm going to tentatively say "No" on that, but again, I'm not sure.

EDIT 1: Hah, I actually stayed on topic!

EDIT 2: Wait, you already done that? Why don't you retire your adventurers and then export the Legends so that you can see what happens for yourself?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:44:42 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:48 am »

I hate both Americans AND elves. But if the enemy of my enemy is my friend, who is my friend and who is my enemy?

kill them all

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2009, 12:38:08 am »

I looked at the new LP of DF, where the Queen of a civilization tantrumed and died. Years later, no new leader was appointed, even though she had several offspring. The nobility still respawned though and the civilization remains intact, but there is no "real" ruler anymore.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]