Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456572 times)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #615 on: September 07, 2011, 05:17:44 am »

um i just noticed suggestion #38 is obsolete

Ability to buy sand/water/rough gems from merchants

we can do that already - buy sand bags and rough gems (i think). water can't be bought, but since we don't have a way to use contained water (other than dumping buckets of it) i'd say it can not only go into a suggestion by itself, but it would also be good to ask the original poster who suggested it if they think it still has a point (water would be really heavy to carry in large amounts and it only matters if you have large amounts of it - and then only for some cleaning/hospital stuff/pond filling or muddying).

there's 49 votes on this that could be redistributed.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:36 am »

um i just noticed suggestion #38 is obsolete

Ability to buy sand/water/rough gems from merchants

we can do that already - buy sand bags and rough gems (i think). water can't be bought, but since we don't have a way to use contained water (other than dumping buckets of it) i'd say it can not only go into a suggestion by itself, but it would also be good to ask the original poster who suggested it if they think it still has a point (water would be really heavy to carry in large amounts and it only matters if you have large amounts of it - and then only for some cleaning/hospital stuff/pond filling or muddying).

there's 49 votes on this that could be redistributed.

Good catch.  Votes cleared. :)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 07, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »

Ok i dont want to be a nuisance or be a smartass with this but, since i was looking at the list anyway and there was at least one obsolete suggestion, i thought i'd just take another look just in case there's more to clean up. here's the results (and sorry for the wall of text crit)

#32 (duplicated in #237)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

#278 (suggestion is ok - see following posts)

The following pairs seem to be essential duplicates of one another or inclusive of one another without conflicts, maybe votes should be merged(?):

dwarf emotional status in unit list etc.
#70 & #197

3d designation
#254 & #61

custom biome raws
#279 & #304

ropes and pulleys
#308 & #58

starting off with more dwarves at embark and options related
#227 & #56

player controlled imprisonment
#203 & #255

resuming worldgen after ending a game
#136 & #209

rebellions
#135 & #305

books
#92 & #114

workshop raws
#75 & #206

cleaning
#54 & #99

Interestingly, i didnt find triplets, only pairs.

#51 practically exists through DFMP

just a comment here

some entries of particular note (that dont really belong on that list):

#238 is a good suggestion but by being on the list it contradicts its own goal and purpose. it doesnt belong there
#193 another interesting suggestion, discussed many a time on the forum AFAIK. still doesnt belong on the list
#149 lol?
#108 seriously?

honestly, i tried to be strict and objective/impartial when looking at these but there are like 200 suggestions in that list that serve no purpose, either because they contradict core aspects of the game and the idea behind it or serve little to no actual purpose and implementing them would change practically nothing for players. some are downright ridiculous (such as #257 by someone who posted like 3 times in 2009 - no offense dude but simulating molecular structures would be supercomputer level computing), others are just mishmashes of stuff the suggester wants rather than solid straightforward suggestions that someone else can actually relate to and feel like voting for - i think some cleanup is in order, maybe an announced trial period for all suggestions that are low in votes or really old and have few votes (like 5 or less), at the end of which they get disabled and their votes cleared, just like implented ones (though it might be a very bad idea as well). i think it would be way easier to grasp the actual body of meaningful suggestions that way, giving Toady a much easier job. It would also make posters read more suggestions before just clicking on the first 10 or 15 (honestly what kind of madman would read 300+ suggestions? :P). I think its obvious people don't read all suggestions or search for keywords, evident by the duplicates and inclusive suggestions. Some are intentionally close to others, but differ on details the suggester considered important - those are ok i think.

Categorization and classification as major/minor would help about 5000% percent. Maybe even identify partially satisfied suggestions. I dont know php but i would be willing to give improving the script a shot - i intend to learn it anyway. If that's not doable, i could still make an effort to create categories and classify suggestions so that the original author can easily figure out what needs to be added to the script and the admin can also easily move/re-add suggestions.

I havent read this entire thread and i'm not going to sift through 42 (interesting number) pages so if these comments have already been made lots of times already and i'm just repeating old stuff (or if i'm being annoying), just tell me to shut up and i will :P

edit - i just read draco18s post just before my first one on this thread. i'm an idiot and i should've read the thread.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:31:23 am by plynxis »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

Sadly, I don't control any of those.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 07, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »

Who wrote the voting page? IMO it could do with an overhaul
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 07, 2011, 05:45:51 pm »

Who wrote the voting page? IMO it could do with an overhaul

zagibu was heroic enough to provide the above php script.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 07, 2011, 05:57:11 pm »

Is there a chance that Toady still reads the suggestion page?
I'm asking this because the thread was opened in 2008.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:19 pm »

Ok i dont want to be a nuisance or be a smartass with this but, since i was looking at the list anyway and there was at least one obsolete suggestion, i thought i'd just take another look just in case there's more to clean up. here's the results (and sorry for the wall of text crit)

Last I checked, the combat preferences were limited to choosing Charge vs Strike vs Wrestle, and not specific attacks, like "Only use my wooden training axe on toes" (IE: don't randomly decide to shield bash the helpless victim's head in while I hold the movement key to attack and train up skills)
Or perhaps setting it to only make slashing sword attacks against lower body, useful when you're caught by boogeymen at night.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #623 on: September 08, 2011, 06:03:17 am »

I would like to volunteer for this "developer - slash - admin position"

If given chance, I would implement:

* Well, implement ... do major cleanup, per what plynxis outlined
 * Better voting system - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting (basically, anyone can vote as many things as he can)
 * Redesign page a bit to fit into look and feel of rest of the site.
 * Possibly split suggestions to two categories - "Major system overhaul" and "Simple adition"

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 08, 2011, 06:13:47 am »

Last I checked, the combat preferences were limited to choosing Charge vs Strike vs Wrestle, and not specific attacks, like "Only use my wooden training axe on toes" (IE: don't randomly decide to shield bash the helpless victim's head in while I hold the movement key to attack and train up skills)
Or perhaps setting it to only make slashing sword attacks against lower body, useful when you're caught by boogeymen at night.

forgot to mention i fixed this in my post

lol looks like lots of volunteers for a refit of the suggestions script - maybe recruit all of us into the project and segment it to get it done faster? after we agree on what we need to add/change ofcourse.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

I submitted a few suggestions I thought were cool, and I see there at 0 even though I voted for them (they were at 1).  For example:     veins span z levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

I submitted a few suggestions I thought were cool, and I see there at 0 even though I voted for them (they were at 1).  For example:     veins span z levels

Top of the page, where it says "Your votes:" what does it list?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

Military Orders, defend burrows means do not leave burrow

I have voted for these other ones.  However, when I return, I find them at 0.

I revoted, so it shows
    * scalable walls/ladders for sieges
    * traps placable on walls/cielings rather than just floor tiles
    * veins span z levels

Will return later to check it out.

I think I get it.  If I vote on an individual one later, it resets my old votes.

Well, I returned and tried to vote for all the ones I wanted (that have 0), and it says I have too many selected.  So for sure, they are being reset.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:41:18 pm by thistleknot »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 09, 2011, 02:19:38 pm »

Are you voting for more than 3 items?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »

I think I get it.  If I vote on an individual one later, it resets my old votes.

Correct.  For if you have 3 vote for, and you checkbox 1, and hit "vote" what are your three votes?  2, 3, and 4?  1, 2, 4? 1, 3, 4?

You have to vote for all three at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58